“Gorgeous Resort at a Great Price”

Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this resort in March 2010 and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! The grounds are beautiful- gardens and walking trails and sunsets over the bay. The hotel was everything a resort should be. I stayed in Captiva Tower and had a beautiful spacious room. I also ate at both Tarpon House restaurant and Courtside Steakhouse on the property. Both were delicious! Courtside is a great place to dine for a special evening. I'm just sorry I didn't have time to visit the spa! I will definitely return as soon as possible and recommend the hotel to anyone interested in a tropical getaway!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank apicc2

Reviewed July 11, 2010

My wife and I recently completed a short stay at this resort. While we were disappointed were not exactly on Sanibel Island, the front desk made sure we had a wonderful water view that provided spectacular sunsets. Additionally, the room was very tastefully decorated with a comfortable king bed. The best part of our stay and the reason we would consider returning is the staff went out of their way to make our stay fantastic and memorable. From Laura the asst front desk manager, to Larry, Neil and Chris at Cabana Charley's, to all the other folks who we met but did not get a chance to get all their names - they made the stay the very best. Final thoughts - despite staying on the fifth floor, the room was nearly sound proof. The music and laughter from people enjoying one of two of their fine pools never intruded on our stay. The music played there also helped provide a great atmosphere and they provided activities for young children to enjoy (including a huge pool side movie screen) which allowed for parents to enjoy themselves without sacrificing the enjoyment for their kids.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We booked our anniversary trip over 2 months ahead of time via the internet for the Escape Package which included the following:
Dining Package, includes breakfast for 2 guests, dinner for 2 guests per night, chocolate covered strawberries per night, 1 bottle of Champagne per night

I also had a special request for:
1 King Bed, Guaranteed
Near Elevator, Request Noted
Advised Of Parking Fee, Request Noted
Resort or Service Fee Applies, Request Noted
Extra Foam Pillows, Request Noted
High Floor Room, Request Noted
Late Check-Out, Request Noted
Feather Free Room, Request Noted

During our drive to the resort, I received a call on my mobile so that I could book a dinner on the Sanibel Harbour Princess cruise. The lady recommended the Sunday noon brunch which I booked with her.

In the evening,after we arrived, it seemed that everything after check-in required us to make extra effort on our part to be comfortable here.

Keep in mind that everyone is very friendly and the resort looks great. However, it seems that requests are not followed through with the appropriate actions.

Summary of Stay:
(Friday)
1. I had to tell the concierge to provide us with breakfast and dinner tickets. If I did not ask for them, I do not believe I would have gotten them.
2. When we got to our room, our chocolate covered stawberries and champagne were not there. We had to call it in.
3. It took at least an hour to get the strawberries and champagne. However, when we got them, the strawberries were not covered in chocolate, so we called that in as well.
4. It took another hour for someone to call us to tell us that the chocolate would have to be made.
5. After an additional hour of waiting, I had to call to cancel since I was very tired and wanted to get some sleep.
6. Also, our room was not Feather free as I had requested over 2 months ago. We are allergic to feathers. Please note that under the bed you have lots of feathers.
7. I had to call in to get 4 regular pillows and some blankets.
8. The 4 down-free pillows came after one hour, but we never got the blankets.
9. After over 2 hours I had to cancel the blankets since we had to sleep. We were very cold that night.
10. I went downstairs to seek assistance but no one was there so I borrowed a phone to talk to the person in charge and she mentioned she would take 100 dollars off for our troubles. I mentioned that I hope everything was better tomorrow.

(Saturday)
11. On Saturday morning, I asked the concierge to see if we could change and book the dinner cruise on Saturday evening. I gave her my mobile number so that she could call me to inform me if the reservations were made. I had to know this critical information since I only had 2 dinner coupons and wanted to make the most of it.
12. No one called me regarding the reservations. Hence, I assumed that my reservations were not reserved.
13. In the evening, we were checking why we didn't get any calls and we found out that the Sunday brunch cruise was also cancelled. We had hoped to go on that cruise instead.
14. No one called us that the Sunday brunch was cancelled either.
15. It was frustrating to hear that one concierge mentioned that the cruise was available for Sunday brunch and another one said it was cancelled. It looks like everyone is not informed at the same time. The concierge called the question in to double check and confirmed that it was indeed cancelled.
16. I was wondering in my mind why no one called me for the Saturday reservation. It was then revealed when I got home.
17. When I reached home on Sunday evening, the dinner cruise captain called me at 6:50 p.m. (after I had already driven home) on my mobile to see if I was joining them on the boat.
18. In my itinerary, I was checking out on Sunday at noon. Why would my dinner reservations be made late in the evening on Sunday?
19. During our stay we had to tip employees for bringing us things or helping us because they were making up for the mistakes. This equaled at least $40 in tips.

However, there were a few good people that went above the call of duty.
The bus driver who worked on Saturday night asked how I was and I told him a few of our terrible experiences. He immediately talked to someone who made a fantastic dinner experience for us at the Courtside Steakhouse.

Also, another person, Jack S., went out of his way to get his personal dvd player with movies for us to borrow after hearing about our experiences.

Overall, although the food was good and some of the staff were very helpful, we had a negative experience since we could not rely on the employees to follow through on our requests. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shortmama75
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Having had a long drive from Key West I was looking forward to a few days r&r, and from the moment we arrived at the gatehouse that was all I had. The gateman was so polite, the valet parkers couldn't do enough and the desk staff were tremendous. The room overlooking the sea was to die for, the beds heaven, bar staff to look after your every whim, thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Short drive over the bridge to the lovely Sanibel island is a must, so very pretty, and a drive to Fort Myers beach is worth a visit, if you can drag yourself away from this truely beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2010

After working 6 weeks without a day off, my husband was in need of some major R&R. Question: Where to find something leisurely paced, nearby, fun, relaxing, different and breath-taking without leaving the country or breaking the bank? Just read on... Our journey began and ended with our first visit to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa.
(Almost chose to keep it private, so that it's not overrun with "guests" the next time I want to get away in a hurry!) From the minute you drive up to the welcome kiosk and are ushered onto this lavish Gulf Coast Florida property, the cares of your "former" life melt away as you are taken back in time, to a regal era when the patron was treated as royalty and "your wish is our command" is the norm. As you arrive at the entrance to the hotel, you're greeted with valet parking and friendly, knowledgeable waitstaff. The lavish entrance, impeccably appointed guest rooms with outstanding balcony views, luxuriously comfortable beds, and a spa "second to none"... this property spares nothing to bring it's guests the best in comfort and beauty. You will not be disappointed. I am spoiled, happy about it and look forward to my next visit as soon as possible! Why not? To answer Milton, "I found it!" Come find your paradise!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2010

This property is on the Ft Myers side of the bridge that goes over to Sanibel Island. It is very nice and much cheaper than many of the places actually on the island. The big down-side is that you do not get a hotel that is right on the beach so you have to drive to get there. For us, it was well worth the savings to jump in the car and drive over the bridge. We live in Florida and Sanibel and Ana Maria are about the only place in Florida with beaches that worth going to. This hotel is a nice home base.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelCheapskate
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Sanibel Harbour Resort, and barely even took advantage of the facilities during our 3 night stay. We stayed in the Captiva Tower which has larger rooms and there is no parking fee like there is at the Sanibel Tower. We had a room on the top floor with a view of the harbour. This was better than an oceanfront room because instead of just having a view of the beach and ocean, we could sit on our private balcony and see the Sanibel Causeway, the harbour filled with boats and jet skis, ospreys, herons, and pelicans flying around, etc. It was especially nice early in the morning and watching the sunset. Very convenient to the island. Nice pool, we didn't have to fight for chairs.

We did at least check out the spa, and the fitness center was outstanding. I'd like to return for a longer stay, and be able to use the facilities. Tennis courts, a basketball court, and jogging/walking track. The Sanibel Tower is a short walk (even though they have a shuttle). One morning I walked to the Sanibel Tower to their bakery to get some danish and returned to the room. I was gone a total of 12 minutes.

We did have one problem. Our first morning we knew the air conditioning was not working properly. As we left in the morning to head to the island, I called the front desk and let them know. When we returned in the afternoon, it was fixed. Room was plenty spacious, included a love seat and a separate chair with an ottoman which was really comfortable.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!