“Hotel Is First Rate...”

Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I'm a photographer, and was contracted to shoot a global sales meeting for a medical device company. They paid all of my expenses, including the hotel room.

When I checked in, the gentleman at the registration counter informed me that I'd received an upgraded room, this one with a view of the bay and overlooking the pool. It was a gorgeous view, and very unexpected.

Everything about the stay was excellent, save for the wonky elevator. Of the four elevators, one would stop on the fourth floor every single time. No one would get on, but the doors would open, and wouldn't close until I hit the "DOOR CLOSE" button. Weird.

My first meal was at Charley's Cabana Bar. I got the stromboli with sausage an peppers. It was excellent, as I suspect most of the menu would've been.

The two criticisms I have are with the gift shop and the Tarpon Room Restaurant. At the gift shop, they sold a bottle of Clos bu Bois Merlot for $30.00. I could drive down the street to Publix and buy a bottle of it for $12.00. I get the whole "this is a fancy resort" thing but, really, more than twice as much? That's pretty ridiculous. Mt secondary criticism was with the Tarpon Room. I was seated quickly, and ordered coffee. After about 15 minutes, I finally decided to ask about my coffee. The server said she needed to brew a new pot, which I though was a mild cop out. 15 minutes is just too long to brew a pot of coffee unless you have to go pick the beans.

I order the Reuben with fries, and it was less than stellar. Like the coffee, it just seemed to take to long for it to be served. When it finally arrived, the fries tasted weren't the hottest, and tasted a little stale. The sandwich also could've been hotter, and while the top of the sandwich was crispy, the bottom piece of bread was soggy, which told me it had been sitting for a while. Overall, I was wildly unimpressed with the meal. I'm not willing to be critical of the entire restaurant, but I would recommend caution. The restaurant wasn't busy, which is the usual reason servers give for poor service, but that was not the case here. They were just slow and let the food sit.

Overall, this place is pretty impressive, and I wouldn't let a substandard Reuben and bad fries keep from from returning. The hotel staff was absolutely professional and stellar.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay. It'll cost you, but it's so worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SteveParr
Tom C, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear SteveParr,

The opinion of every guest means a lot to us and we are so glad that you took the time to provide us with yours.

While it seems that the majority of your stay went smoothly, we do apologize for the few areas in which you experienced some shortcomings. We will be having our maintenance staff check into the elevator issue and will be sharing this review with our food and beverage team to ensure that prompt service and top notch cuisine is always delivered.

We also appreciate your noting our associates are professional and stellar -- that means a lot.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Superb,5star hotel,offering top class luxury ,style and elegance.
The staff are marvellous,so friendly that they showed us all the best places to visit,shop,eat etc.
Would go again, in fact we are this year.

Room Tip: try and get a waterside room if possible
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear kevinp,

It is our goal to help every guest travel brilliantly and we are thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay with us in the Sanibel area.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Had a grat view of the harbor. Watched dolphins play all morning from my balcony. Reason for 3 stars was a request to replace the worst pillows on earth was ignored by housekeeping staff. Simple request, no results. Also refrigerator was not cleaned out from previous guests glass of wine, beer, and half drank bottles of water still in there. Made me wonder about cleanliness. Expect a lot better from a $350 per night room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Golfnut00
Tom C, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Golfnut00,

We greatly appreciate the time you took to leave us your review and are incredibly sorry that we created a disappointing experience for you with regard to our housekeeping services. It is completely unacceptable for your request for pillows to be ignored and for the refrigerator not to have been cleaned out from the previous guest. We take this type of feedback seriously and will be reviewing your complaints with our housekeeping management immediately. It is never our intention to disappoint a guest in any way, and clearly we did. We hope that you will come back some time in the future and give us another chance.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We only managed one night on this trip but both my husband and I said why hadn't we planned to stay here longer. Most restful night in the whole of our 16 day trip. Great hotel with everything you could want. Steakhouse restaurant serves best Filet Mignon we have had in a long time.
Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear artistdhm,

We appreciate your kind review and it made our day to hear that you had the most restful night of your 16-day journey here in Sanibel with us. We hope you will come back again soon and stay with us longer.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in the main hotel (Sanibel). Great views no matter what room. I was worried about construction I had read about but it was all done. The pool was perfect and the service excellent. Waited till the last night to try the Courtside restaurant, wish we had tried it the first. It was better than any other restaurant we tried in the area. We did smell a little mildew while walking down the hallway but it is a Florida hotel, I have not found one yet where you don't.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jdwiggins
Tom C, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear jdwiggins,

We are so happy to hear that you loved our hotel! Thanks for sharing your review with other members.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The property has something for everyone, is immaculate throughout and on a large parcel of property. The rooms are large and offer great views. The special price available when we stayed made our visit a geat deal. Will definetly go back next time we are in the area. Spoke to and interacted with many staff members from manager on down and all were very kind and considerate.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear IAMAPI,

We will be sure to share your review at our next meeting as it will definitely make our associates' day! Everyone here at the resort works very hard to ensure that our guests are happy and feel welcome and attended to and when someone takes the time to thank them for what they do, it makes it all worth it. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Nick at the Front desk was very friendly and took care of us right from the start.
We stayed at the main tower, overlooking the ocean, and the view was fantastic.
Even if there a short time, you should walk over to the tennis courts/spa area. It's a fun short walk through mangroves and over open water.
No one likes paying the parking or resort fee, but the room rate was reasonable so I built this into the price when making a decision... therefore not dissapointed.
We usually don't eat at hotels, but since we got there Xmas day and everything else was closed, we were happy to have something there. The view (from the Cabana) was super, and the food was acceptable. Note that the Cabana also serves food from the Tarpon restaraunt menu - helpful if the Tarpon is booked or you want the Cabana view.
We hope to return to the resort on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dbernstein

Dear dbernstein,

We are so happy you were able to spend the holidays with us and that you enjoyed your stay. It means a lot to hear positive feedback as it helps to reinforce that our associates are doing their jobs well. Thanks for the accolades for our staff members and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!