“Great veiws, nice stay!”

Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Fort Myers
San Francisco
“Great veiws, nice stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here for a week in June, in a King Executive Suite on the sixth floor of the Sanibel Building. It was a corner suite with two balconies, and the views from both were just great. The suite consisted of a nice, comfortable bedroom and a living room. One improvement I would suggest is a larger coffee table in the living room. The one they had was tiny, and could hold just a single room service tray. We ordered room service a lot and there was no real viable way to eat other than with our plates in our laps.

All of the staff we encountered were extremely friendly and professional. Service at the pools was outstanding. There are two outdoor pools at the Sanibel building, one tended to be quieter, and the other tended to be more rowdy. Like every other resort of its type, some people get up early and stake out their pool chairs by leaving a towel or a magazine on a chair for hours, insuring that nobody else can use it. We did not do this because we try not to be inconsiderate of others.

Despite all the towels and magazines that had their own prime real estate at the pools, it wasn't too challenging finding a spot during the week. Weekends were a little bit tougher. They do rent what they call "cabanas," which are not cabanas, but rather, two chairs with cushions and a dedicated umbrella. These come with some amenities, like free water and a fresh fruit plate. We rented one the first full day there, only because there were no other chairs with umbrellas. I would've rented them again, but the chairs themselves had very limited adjustability (they reclined too much, so I couldn't comfortably sit up and read).

We had dinner at the Tarpon one night, and the food was good and the service was great. We had a light dinner at Charley's Bar one night, and again, food was perfectly fine and the service very good.

They do seem to perform housekeeping quite late in the day. The first couple of days we were there, we'd go out for the day and come back at four or five and the room hadn't been cleaned. After that, we just called the "At Your Service" number on the phone every day, and let them know we were going out for a few hours and asked for our room to be cleaned while we were gone. Worked like a charm.

I'll echo what some other reviewers said that you should know before you go. I can't imagine staying here without a car. Even though the food was fine, you'll get tired of it eventually and want to strike out and try something new. Also, with Sanibel and Captiva just across the bridge, it would be a shame to miss them, especially if you've never been to this area.

One thing I appreciated was having a small dedicated fridge in the suite (in addition to the mini-bar). We stopped at Publix on the way to the hotel, and stocked up on snacks and drinks for the week.

Would I stay there again? Yes. While we were there, I booked the same type of suite for a week at Christmas. In the interest of full disclosure, I come to Fort Myers several times a year to visit my father who is in an assisted living facility there. Nothing against the area, but if it weren't for that, this wouldn't be a place I would choose as a destination resort for my vacation. I live in California so vacationing in places like Cabo or even Hawaii makes a little more sense for me.

Having said all that, I'll be back! I've stayed at a few other places in the area over the years, and this is my favorite so far. They really shine in terms of service, and the views can't be beat.

1 Thank GogoSanFrancisco
Jahangir H, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Good morning, GogoSanFrancisco.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor!

We’re so pleased that you enjoyed many of the amenities and dining that we have available. Our goal is to delight you with memorable experiences during your stay at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa.

We are thrilled that you choose to stay with us when you visit your father and we can’t wait to welcome you back in December.

Jahangir H.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
Bradenton, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Spent two nights in room 1084 this week. The hotel is a bit faded resort that obviously makes its gravy during the peak winter season. Deferred maintenance was obvious. Our floor (10th) was moldy and we were told that a roof issue had been fixed, but folks, the carpet in the hallway needed to be replaced. Our room was ok. but it was a bit strong going to the elevator.

The staff members in the bars/restaurants were great. Notable was Sara in the Tapas bar and Alex in the restaurant. If a manager reads this, these are two people you'd better hang on to. By contrast, the day bartender at the Cove bar had no personality and sure did not make me feel welcome.

The biggest issue was when I checked out around 11 a.m. on Thursday morning. I asked that we split the bill between my Amex and Visa. The front manager agreed (reluctantly) to do that and I asked that any "hold" on my cards be released and he huffed and said that that's always done within 24 hours. (I had just had a Marriott hold released on my Amex after 7 days of trying). Oh, right now, I am still billed twice for several items at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott. I am hoping that fixes itself in the next day or so.

But then, as he finished with me, he abruptly turned and left. No thank you, thanks for staying, thanks for being Marriott Gold, have a nice day, drive carefully, etc. Just walked off.

Rude. Marriott does not need this We WILL NOT return.

Dear BarefootTom,

It is truly disappointing to read that your recent stay at our resort did not meet your expectations. Please know that we value your loyalty to Marriott, and your comments and have been shared with our team to prevent future disappointments for our guests.

We believe your experience is not indicative of our Marriott standards, as it is our priority to provide each and every guest with excellent guest service complimented by gracious hospitality. We appreciate you taking the time to compliment both Sara and Alex in the restaurant. They both truly possess Marriott's "Spirit to Serve".

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to regain your faith in the Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa and would be happy to welcome you again when travel plans bring you back to Southwest Florida.

Sincere Regards,
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We are a family of four and have just spent two nights at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott. The hotel is beautiful and the views are amazing. We were delighted to have been upgraded from the Captiva Tower to the Sanibel Tower on arrival. It's definitely worth requesting the Sanibel tower as it has amazing views, refurbished rooms and three restaurants on site. All this as well as a 'resort vibe' at the pool where the staff are very pleasant and attentive.
I think our stay would have been very different had we stayed at the Captiva tower which didn't seem to have many amenities aside from a small swimming pool, however we had pre-booked at a very reasonable rate and therefore we would have made-do.
That being said, the reason we almost always choose Marriott is because they seem to look after their loyal customers and will upgrade / change rooms for you if it is possible. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: The Sanibel tower is definitely better so choose this if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Good morning, carolyn s.

Thank you for such a great review! We do our best to ensure each and every guest enjoys their time with us.

We’re thrilled that you and your family love our resort and we can’t wait to see you again!

Warmly,
Suwanee, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott for my birthday weekend - a solo trip to rest and recharge. I checked in on Friday and left on Sunday. It really was a disappointing stay.

The problem was not the staff -- everyone I interacted with was very pleasant, especially Becky from room service.

When I booked the room and prepaid, I had no idea that the Captiva tower was separate from the main building. Nor did I know that there was no restaurant or bar in the building and that the "sundries" store would be closed an unattended. I found the soda vending machines by accident on Saturday morning.

I booked a waterfront room thinking that I would be able to enjoy a cocktail while watching the sun go down over the water. Unfortunately, my room faced south, so no sunset. No water view either; instead I had a wonderful view of palm fronds with tiny little glimpses of the bridge and a bit of water.

The room was set up oddly -- the arm chair, sofa, and TV were along one wall. To watch TV, I had to sit sideways, which was not comfortable. There was no lamp behind the chair or sofa and no overhead lighting, so I couldn't even sit there and read -- what was the point of having these pieces of furniture if they are not functional?

I decided to splurge on room service my first night there. At first I thought the only thing available from room service was pizza, but it turns out the menu in my room was missing pages. Becky gave me some ideas of what was available, and I placed my order. When it arrived, the waiter informed me that the ice cream had completely melted on the trip over from the main hotel. I was shocked at the cost of the meal -- about 2.5 times as much as I would have paid at a restaurant off the property. Plus, he didn't bring a new menu, nor did he bring a spoon to eat the ice cream with, so I guess it's a good thing that it was liquid. The next morning, I went to the grocery store and bought a few food items. The refrigerator in the room promptly froze everything.

I seriously considered leaving on Saturday afternoon, but I knew that I wouldn't get my money back for the 2nd night, so I stayed. I got up at 5 am on Sunday, left the hotel by 6 am, and was home by 9am. I can't imagine going back this hotel. For the money I spent, I could have stayed somewhere much nicer. I also didn't appreciate the surprise $27/per day in fees.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel, not in the Captiva tower.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear anromath,

We would like to begin by apologizing for your recent experience at our resort. We regret you were unaware that Captiva Tower was not connected to the main tower, that our room service was not the experience that we pride ourselves on executing, and that our resort fee and parking charges were a surprise to you.

If we would have known your frustrations while on property, we would have made every effort to move you to another waterfront room so you could experience the sunset, have a member of our engineering team fix or replace your in-room refrigerator, adjust your room service order, and ultimately if we did not meet your expectations after your first night with us we would have certainly allowed you to depart early without any penalty.

Our Captiva Tower will be undergoing renovations later in the year so a whole new design concept will be implemented. We hope that you will revisit us in the future and experience the award winning service that we take much pride in.

oxford, ma.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We just spent a 2 night stay at Marriott Sanibel , Fort Myers. We had a lovely stay. The room was beautiful overlooking Sanibel Bay. The hotel has 3 restaurants on site. We tried all of them and found them very good. The staff thru out the hotel was very helpful, pleasant and professional.
The hotel is situated so close to the bridge that leads to Sanibel and Captiva Islands, and its worth the short drive to the beautiful beaches , and opportunity to go shelling, ( if thats something you like to do). It was my first time. The Hotel Concierge recommended Bowman Beach on Sanibel Island, and she was right. There was an abundance of shells, and a beautiful beach as well. The only thing I did not like was the $2.00/hr parking could get costly if you spend a lot of time there. Also to get over to the islands there is a $6.00 toll to cross the bridge.
The hotel also charges $12.00 / day for self parking, but the garage is very convenient to the hotel.
The only draw back to staying at this hotel is that it is not walking distance to other restaurants and shops. You will need to get in your car and go for that. Other than than I would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel

Room Tip: get a water view room.
1 Thank sylvi97
Good morning, sylvi97.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and it sounds like you made the most of your two days that you were in the Fort Myers & Sanibel area!

We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to beautiful Southwest Florida.

Warm Regards,
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to get away for a few days and booked a room at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott. It exceeded our wildest expectations. As soon as we pulled up, the attentive and personable Valet, Ivan C. took care of our luggage and escorted us to the Check In area. There we were very fortunate to have Michael Melendez, the Room Manager, take care of us. He was friendly, professional, and quickly had us on our way. We then stopped to see Peggy, the Hotel Concierge, so that we could book a Dinner Cruise. She also made us feel very welcomed. Ivan C then took us to our room on the top floor overlooking the water. What a room and what a view!
The Dinner Cruise was a lot of fun and definitely worthwhile. The whole stay was wonderful. We just wish we could have stayed longer. When we checked out Sandra Sharpe, took care of us and she was amazing. We will definitely come back again to stay and the location is perfect because you are just minutes away from Sanibel Island.

1 Thank Sean F
Good morning, Sean F.

Thank you for the glowing review of our resort, and for highlighting some of our talent here at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott.

We have shared your comments with Ivan C., Michael M., Sandra, and Peggy. As you experienced, they along with our entire staff - all posses Marriott's "Spirit to Serve" and are the true beauty of our resort.

Again, thank you for such a wonderful review! We look forward to hosting you on your return trip to Fort Myers & Sanibel.

Best Regards,
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

The main purpose for this review is to reiterate and bring light to a few things I experienced while staying at the Resort this past weekend. Please note that we were booked as part of a wedding party of about 25-30 people. After a family emergency I had to cancel my initial reservation. What I didn’t know and never told to me was that you have to cancel a reservation at the resort at least 7 days prior to your check in date or they charge you for your stay. However, once I had taken care of the problem, I immediately called the hotel back and asked that my reservation be reinstated. Initially they were going to charge me a cancelation fee as well as my two day room fee, but with some persuasion the woman waived the cancelation fee and I was able to reinstate my initial reservation. Arriving at the resort we were greeted by two valets who seemed to be confused or busy and told us they needed to move our car because of a fire hazard. The valet assured us that he would keep an eye on our things. I have no problem with anyone moving our vehicle but when we came out after checking in neither valet was around and our car was sitting off to the side of the drive way unattended and full of our luggage. Finally someone came back after I already went to fetch a luggage cart and my boyfriend had already unloaded the car. The whole system seemed very disorganized and chaotic. Check in was a breeze and the hotel itself is very beautiful. The entrance is clean and smells like coconut. Most all of the staff is friendly and pleasant. Our room overlooked the pool area which also had great views of the Gulf. The shower and toilet area need a major upgrade. Maybe they could use the 15 dollars a day they charge you called a “Resort Fee” to help with the cost. There were also two different tax charges, excluding sales tax, on my final bill that I was charged for daily. There were some positives to our stay at the resort including my friends wedding. They really were accommodating to her and her fiancé. As well as the group who liked to stay up late and party. The reception dinner lasted almost three hours; it was only two courses, and it took almost 45 minutes just to bring out salads. They had two very young and seemly inexperienced waiters working the party. It wouldn’t have been so terrible but the bride and groom had booked a party trolley for everyone at 10:00pm which we ended up being late for. Lastly, the resort is no where near walking distance of anything so you either call a cab or bring a car. The hotel has no shuttle service. My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is the following: If you want a vacation where you never leave the property and sit by the pool all day this is the place for you, otherwise I would choose something elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kate V
Dear Kate V,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

Allow us to begin by apologizing for the issues you experienced during the reservation process. We understand the frustration that must have caused, but are delighted that everything worked out.

We appreciate you sharing the highlights of your trip which included the beauty of the resort, friendliness of the staff, and the ease of check-in.

We find that guests enjoy our close location to all the area has to offer, which includes: Sanibel, Captiva, Fort Myers Beach, and some of the best shopping and dining in Southwest Florida.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to have you as our guest again when travel brings you to Southwest Florida!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
Sanibel Island Beach Resort
Sanibel Island Beach Resort
#16 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,231 reviews

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!