“Noooooooo not for us”

Ranked #7 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Nottingham
“Noooooooo not for us”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Sorry let me say first of all - we are big Marriott fans but not this time. Yes the staff are lovely and the views stunning from the main hotel.
Parts of the Hotel are in need of refurbishment, the area surrounding the pool needs a power wash and outside Charlie's bar was having work done - heavy duty drilling at 9am!
Music commenced around 8am - quite loud and a tad early for me as was the banging from above - fixing something with a hammer and drill.
Most annoying of all a daily resort charge + tax and a daily parking charge + tax which adds up.
The lady at check out said the resort charge covers things like the bicycles etc - yet on the website it states something like bicycles are complimentary. Another guest was complaining like mad about this as we checked out. Surely one tax to cover all or no tax at all.

Room Tip: I would agree with other traveller reviews of staying in the main part of the hotel for accessibilit...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
Boston
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My daughter and I just spent a few days at this lovely resort. Kaye B. was an outstanding concierge who recommended excellent restaurants and interesting places to visit. She was helpful, sincere and very pleasant. The staff in general was very friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BonVoyageBoston
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 11, 2012

this is a huuuuuge resort. a bit overwhelming to drive into/ find where to go. but front desk was nice and hotel lobby is very pretty/ overall grounds are very pretty. i staying in a king room in one of the tower - i read another view that apparently there is a big difference in where you stay and i can see why. i took a chance on the spa and was very pleasantly surprised - it was just out of season and the very last appointment of the night (i might have been the only client there at that time). wonderful massage. but i was not satisfied with the food. i might have been if the courtside steakhouse was open - beautiful inside and looked like a great menu but private function that night. tarpoon house was just too bland/ corporate hotel and no bar. i went to charleys cabana - tacky decor but probably par for course in florida but bartenders were friendly and despite not having a real full menu, more bar food/ small plates, the flatbread pizza that i had was very tasty and actually satisfying. there is a shuttle that is able to take you around too all the buildings. this being off season slightly the shuttle was fine and pretty much available whenever i called but not sure how well it would work in high season - property is walkable but buildings can be far apart and it is a bit dark at night. room was standard for a marriott. very large with a nice balcony facing cove. and i would reiterate someone else's comment this is not on sannibel island; it is BEFORE island. and it way outside of ft myers; it is longer and slow moving traffic vs what it looks like on a map.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wisc_mass
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at this resort. From the time we registered until the time we left we enjoyed delicious food in all the restaurants, superior customer service from the front desk staff, wait staff, housekeeping, and the management team. We have been all over the U.S. and the Carribean and this resort ranks in the top 3. The property is older so there is some cosmetic improvement that could be made but it does not affect your stay. You will love spending time here. Thanks you very much, Sanibel Marriott Team!

Room Tip: Captiva Tower has lovely views facing the bay. We stayed on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Connie B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at this property the 1st weekend in Nov 2012. Staff was very polite-and grounds were beautifully kept. There is no beach to speak of, however nice pools-and it was not crowded when I was there, which is always a plus. I had never stayed in this part of Florida, and I was under the impression that the hotel was in Sanibel. It is not...you must go over the bridge, which is literally right at the base of the hotel. It is not far, so if you have a car-no problem.

I stayed in Captiva Tower, which does have a great view of the sunsets. However-where my room was, it was very close to the bridge...so there was the noise of traffic most of the time to contend with. They happen to be dredging the harbour right there, so come Monday morning the noise from the construction vehicles was very apparent. They were not operationg on Sat and Sun though, so it wasn't too annoying (and I left Monday night anyway).

All in all-I would give the hotel 7 out of 10. The staff was great-the weather was great, and after coming from the Northeast and dealing with Hurricane Sandy all week-it was a nice respite. I also like flying in and out of RSW (Ft Myers),,smaller airport-less of a scene from MIA or even TPA..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank peas2u
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We just returned from the hotel and I was stunned when I read some of the reviews. I do not understand who someone could go on a vacation to this property and find anything to complain about. The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Beds couldn't have been more comfortable. The staff at the hotel was very accommodating, friendly and efficient. We originally were booked into the Captiva tower. Although the rooms were very spacious and well decorated, we requested, and were moved to the Harbour tower. The Captiva is far from the main building where most of the resort facilities are. The hotel has a fishing dock where we saw dolphins every day of our vacation. they offer free bike rentals. The health club has an exercise room. The pool is lovely and large enough for lap swimmers. We ate at two of the restaurants which had very good food. We had a throughly, delightful relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: The Captiva tower was more remote and quiet. If you want more convenient access to the facilities, s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank pvtod
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've traveled extensively in the U.S. and by far this hotel and location were the best I've ever had. We were half way through our 1.5 month road trip across the U.S. and we decided to leave New Orleans and head to the gulf coast of Florida. I had visited the gulf with my family as a small child and had great memories of the white soft sand beaches. So my husband and I booked into this location using the Marriott website. We paid slightly higher than we usually do because from the pictures on the hotel website and my location search using Google Maps I could see we would be right on the water.

Although when we arrived we found construction going on in the main lobby, however their wasn't really any noise and it didn't really affect our ability to utilize everything at the hotel. This hotel really was a resort. They had so many activities available for people. They had a game room which would be great for kids. They had a small fishing dock that they would loan/rent out fishing equipment. They had awesome couple hammocks on their mini harbor side beach. My husband and I went out in the evening after drinks and sat together in one and relaxed. It was so great. The hotel pool looked nice although we didn't use it. We headed over to Sanibel Island which is about a mile away by car, or you can walk too. The hotel concierge gave me a great map of the island noting the different beaches there and local grocery for food. I explained that my husband doesn't swim so we were looking for a shallow calm beach for him to enjoy the water. She told me of a perfect one and we headed out. The beach was amazing and my husband had a great time in the water enjoying it along with me. You could walk out in shallow water up to your knees for about 50 yards from the beach. The sand was the same as I had remembered it, so soft and white.

The hotel had a great bar with food. We had drinks outside on the veranda and watched a beautiful sunset. It was priced reasonably for a hotel bar and the service and food were top notch.

Another fantastic point to the hotel was our waterfront room. It had a great balcony with small table and chairs. We enjoyed this especially when we got a short rain storm during our stay which is frequent in Florida.

Overall our stay was the best we ever had, even compared to our Hawaii stays. The hotel was in a fantastice location and also a short drive to the main beach/pier in Ft. Meyers.

Highly reccommend this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Reserve a waterfront room, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanibel Island Beach Resort
Sanibel Island Beach Resort
#17 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,243 reviews

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!