“Underwhelmed and disappointed with Captiva Tower”

Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
bordentown, nj
“Underwhelmed and disappointed with Captiva Tower”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We are frequent guests at Marriott properties as we own timeshares through the company, and are usually very pleased with our stays. However, Sanibel Harbour has the policy that if you are a Marriott Rewards member, you are given a room in the Captiva Tower. Rather than Captiva, I think it should say "captive." You are quite a distance from the main lobby/resort and the view of the parking lot was less than desirable. This was quite unexpected since as an elite member you are usually given upgraded rooms and views. The resort fee is ridiculous, since there are no resort amenities given such as beachside chairs, etc. They don't even have a beach where you can swim, and the pool at the Captiva Towers is bleak and dreary looking, under the overhang of the building with no flowers, scenery, etc. My husband and I were particularly disappointed as we had stayed two previous nights at the Marco Island Marriott Resort which truly was a gem of a property. The staff at Sanibel was friendly and helpful, food good but pricey and slow service. Overall, would give it an average rating, but not worth the price, especially to be away from the main building, lack of scenery, extra fees, etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cindy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Nice hotel but a bit dated. Carpets in room (564) were dirty and some outdoor areas like the edge of the pool in dire need of some good pressure cleaning.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank rfbofill
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We needed a quick getaway for a long weekend -- away from the city and in much need of some sun, R and R, and nature. Our main destination was to play on Sanibel Island, but I didn't like the lodging choices I saw on the island (lots of smaller, dated looking places). Marriott tends to be consistent and reliable, and being platinum members, it was an easy choice for us. It's so conveniently located right off the causeway, that it wasn't a big deal that we weren't right on the island. It's a 10 minute drive over the causeway to get onto the island.

Based on some mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, I didn't have the highest of expectations for the resort. Perhaps it was these lowered expectations that set us up for a really pleasant surprise! The grounds were really pretty with the tropical trees, beautiful docks on the water, and the little walking paths that lead to the fitness center (where I enjoyed hanging out in the spa saunas). The lobbies were beautiful and clean, and we were most surprised by a really clean and well-maintained breakfast buffet that we enjoyed on the outdoor veranda. We don't typically dine at hotel restaurants and I am leary of buffets, but they do a really good job maintaining it and keeping it fresh. That's the extent of what we did on the grounds, as we had too many planned activities on the island.

We stayed in the Captiva tower, and I was concerned that it would be too far from the main Sanibel tower. Not at all, you can totally walk to the main tower through the beautiful tree-lined road, or there is a cute trolley that drives around the resort grounds. I preferred the Captiva tower as it is quieter and away from the restaurants and louder pools. i wanted to relax on this trip, and Captiva tower was the better choice for us. The room was very spacious, the bed was incredibly comfortable, and we had a great balcony view of the water. You get a view of the causeway/bridge, and the one down-side of that is that you will get traffic noise at times. But the comfortable room and the beautiful water views made up for that.

The hotel staff was very pleasant, more than willing to help, and hospitable. We can't wait to return to Sanibel Island for our next weekend escape, and we definitely plan on staying at the Marriott again. Next time, we plan to take advantage of more of the resort grounds. It was really hard to leave....as you can tell, I'm still nostalgic.

1 Thank travlnfoodie
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I am a seasoned traveler and have visited many places around the world, as well as many Marriotts, as can be shown through the 400,000 Marriott points I have accumulated. This trip started on a bad note when I called into the hotel before booking the trip and was told that this particular hotel was right on the beach and would allow me to walk along the beach every day. This was the main reason that I selected this hotel as I come to Florida specifically for the beaches. Upon arriving, I saw that there was obviously no beach and I had been informed incorrectly. I was initially disappointed by this set back but was still determined to enjoy the trip. After entering the suite, I was again dismayed by the conditions, as it appeared to be very shabby. I can accept a shabby, chic room however these accommodations were just out dated. It also seemed to me that the service provided was entirely sub par. The room was not made up until after 5 pm daily. Also, it would have been nice for the maid service to have left the coffee packets in the room so that I could have made coffee in the morning. I also think that it would be in the best interest of the hotel to update their menus and service cards as certain items listed on the room service menu are no longer made in the kitchen and apparently laundry is not longer done on Saturday, although it states that it is on the information the hotel provides.
I was also incredibly dissatisfied with the spa. I think that gratuity should not be added to the bill, and should be given to the service provider at the discretion of the guest. Maybe this incentive would cause them to be more pleasant and not have such a disrespectful attitude.
I hope that my comments can contribute to bettering this hotel and spa in an attempt to make sure that future guests will not have the unpleasant stay that I did.

3 Thank abengel85
Hudson, OH
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We recently spent a 4-day spring break here and thought it was a very nice resort. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in the main tower and the views were great. All rooms looked out over the water and provide a front row seat to the wonderful sunsets. The common areas were pretty and bright.

We ate at a couple of the restaurants. The breakfast buffet was included with our room, and was very good. The pool food and drinks were expensive, as expected, but good. We also went on the sunset dinner cruise on the boat that docks right at the resort. It's nothing spectacular, but still a very enjoyable evening.

The pools were nice. There is the usual chair grab, but at least you have until about 11:00 to get one. The main pool is completely shaded by the hotel for most of the morning since it faces west, so it's not the best if you're trying to get 10 hrs in the sun. However there is a second big pool nearby that is a little more open. We did not do any spa activities, but did play tennis (nice clay courts, friendly instructor, a little walk on a boardwalk thru a mangrove to get there).

We were actually booked into the Captiva tower that is a little walk away from the main area, but called and requested a switch and were pleased to find the room was moved before we arrived. They also gave us an early check-in and late check-out, so we were able to get the most out of our 4 days. Again, the staff was outstanding.

We also ventured over to Fort Myers Beach a couple times, and recommend both the Parrot Key Caribbean Grill and Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille. They are both across the causeway on the inland waterway. We also went to Sanibel for a day. Nice beaches, but lots of traffic. Was disappointed to not find many shells (even after getting out to the best beach before sunrise one day), but the elements weren't great due to calm weather for days and some unclear tide timing. Maybe the next time.

Overall, a great trip!

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 21, 2011

This is a nice resort with amazing views and a great pool area. The pool is kept very warm. We found all of the staff to be very helpful and friendly. On our first day there, we had lunch at the Palm Court, and while they do not offer a gluten free menu, our server was able to find some gluten free bread so that I could order a sandwich. We found all of the staff to be willing to do something extra to make the stay more comfortable.

We were, however, disappointed with the on-site restaurants. The food was average and very expensive, and the service was quite slow. There aren't other restaurants that are walking distance from the resort, so we ate here several times, and were never very satisfied with the experience.

The room was nice and was kept very clean. The bathroom was split with the bath tub and toilet separated from the sink and vanity area. This is great as someone can be using the sink while someone else is in the bathroom. There is also a nice coffee station that brews single cups of coffee. A selection of teas was also included.

The beds were average. I would have hoped for something a little nicer in this type of a resort. There was also very limited drawer space in the room, and there were a typical number of hangers in the closet.

This is a very nice property and with just a few adjustments, it could be a great property.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We have stayed at AAA, 5 diamond resorts -- this is a very reasonable and delightful place to stay. Alcoholic beverages here are EXTREMELY reasonably priced at $5.00 and up -- in Miami you can barely get a glass of water for $5.00. The beer on tap at Charley's is delicious and varied. The Tarpon House is underrated --- we literally ordered the she-crab soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Gorgeous view -- you couldn't buy a more beautiful view. To complain about paying a resort fee and parking fee in 2011 is like complaining that bread doesn't cost a quarter anymore.

This resort was a great base for all our outdoor activities.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
#11 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!