“Great, funky hotel”

Ranked #30 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Great, funky hotel”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Having stayed at an Indigo before in London, we decided to try this for one night whilst travelling through Florida. It is a really well appointed hotel, quite funky and apparently recently renovated. Check in was speedy. The room was excellent - spacious, well appointed and with a great view. There is a small bar and pool on the rooftop if you want to use it. Excellent location in the River District, with a number of bars and restaurants nearby.
As it is part of the IHG group, I used points to stay, but having checked their rates, they were very reasonable for the hotel.
Strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Catherine O, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
How thankful I am to have such nice guests who take the time to write such a nice review. Although our hotel was built in 2009 guests think its been renovated. We are actually located in a 100 year old historic arcade building with original floors. I am pleased that you were happy with your stay and hope you can come and join us again and again! I hope you had a chance to explore our neighborhood with all the new renovations to charming downtown and all the new exciting restaurants. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Indigo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a great little find in downtown Ft. Myers. Just a block from the waterfront, there are lots of restaurants and nightlife options within just a few blocks. The hotel is small with an intimate feel. Rooms are good sized, clean and modern with laminated hard wood floors. I wasn't overly impressed by the staff. They were pleasant but not terribly engaged or solicitous. Decent value for money and a pleasant change from most chain hotels.

Stayed March 2014
So glad you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Indigo in charming historic Fort Myers. I apologize that our staff did not engage you . We pride ourselves in inspiring and engaging ourselves to assist our guests with exploring our neighborhood story. Fort Myers has so much to offer. I will be sure to speak to our GSR's to be sure they continue to provide excellent customer satisfaction. I appreciate your concerns as this assists me in improving our guest experience.
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I'd never stayed at a Hotel Indigo before, but I'll certainly check them out on my travels. Beautiful lobby, rooms and roof top bar and pool. But the best thing might be the location. There's so much to walk to in the historic Ft. Myers riverfront area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Catherine O, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a nice review of our Charming Hotel. I am so glad that you have had a good first experience at the Hotel Indigo's. We have a lot of them across the country and they all have so much charm and great guest services. Please visit us again the next time you are in the area.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The minute I walked into the hotel, you could feel the mustiness of the room. When we got to our room, it was like I was standing in a sauna. I even turned the temperature to the AC unit but the ancient vent wasn't helping the humidity in the room. The only rooms that come with refrigerators are the suites, so the sandwich and drink I bought for the next morning could not be kept cold. There was no bartender at the bar every time we walked by it. The shower doesn't have a door or any closure so you are freezing even taking a hot shower. There's an award from TripAdvisor placed in the 1980 elevator framed with what looks like a menu cover. This place is in need of a major upgrade.
Needless to say, I will never book here again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank alyalylately
Thank you for writing a review to address your concerns. I am sorry that you felt the guest room was humid. It is sometimes humid in Fort Myers. Please contact me with your guest room number so we may have it looked at. All of our AC units are only 5 years old. We have mini refrigerators in the suites for our valued guests enjoyment. Its always a pleasure for me to get both positive feedback as well as concerns so I may address them and make our guests enjoy their stay. Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo and I hope you try us again.
Princeton Junction, NJ
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I booked this hotel specifically because I was getting a particular type of room. I wanted a suite with a couch bed and a king bed, but I wanted the couch bed in a separate living space. The agent at the hotel told me they had this room. When I showed up with 4 people to check in , there was only a king bed in a large room. When I told the front desk that the couch bed was missing, she said that according to her computer system, there should be a couch in that room. After calling a manager at home, they offered me another room, at a discounted rate for two of us! I took the room, since there was no other option, but I was not planning on paying for the room. The manager was not due to return until Monday. This was Saturday. The next day, I tried to rectify the situation, and was given a cot in my room for the other two people. They had no other rooms to offer me; They continued to tell me I would be paying for that other room. Again, there was no management who could help me. Monday, when the manager arrived, she refused to refund me for that extra room and told me she was doing me a favor by not charging me for the cot! It was unbelievable. She said she had to contact yet another manager to get that other room off my bill. Keep in mind, I paid more for the room that I was in because it was supposed to be a suite. The manager did not follow up with me as promised, but they did remove that charge from my credit card on Monday night. They did nothing to help me with the cramped quarters of 4 people in one room and 2 on a single cot. The lack of customer service by the management team was horrendous. The rest of the staff was very nice, but there hands were tied. The hotel was also very nice, but I would never stay here again, just on principal . What large chain hotel leaves the customer hanging for 3 days to resolve an issue? I have filed an official complaint and I will be contacting American Express to dispute all charges on my card!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank AnnaD11
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear AnnaD11,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to your response and be of further assistance.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Off a category review rating in TA, we chose a room at this hotel in the river district. Location 1/2 block from Starbucks, in the middle of the shops and activities. We arrived during an arts walk night, listened to great R&R music in square and walked to Joe's Crab Shack for late night happy hour (1/2 off appetizers and drinks). We would have returned 5 days later if available. Note: if you have a connecting room, talk quietly - the doors are thin. Also don't buy the wine in the lobby ($30) - walk 6 blocks for Publix. Front desk clerk didn't know where to buy wine. The Bistro inside the entrance had a good menu and we would have eaten there listening to sax player but they closed at 9:30 on a Saturday night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo. We value all of our guests and am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Our Bistro should you come back to visit us stops serving at 9:30 p.m. but we stay opened for our guests enjoyment until 10 or 10:30 p.m. especially during Musicwalks and Artwalks when we have great entertainment. We thank you for your business and hope you return to charming Fort Myers.
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I had checked a few reviews on line that said there were 2 parking options at the hotel: $14 valet parking or $5 self-park. When we arrived at the hotel we could see no signs for the self-park option, however when we checked in we were advised that the self-park option was at the municipal parking garage - it was literally across the street and $5 for overnight parking. Great value.

We were in a corner room (404) which was large and airy - the bathroom was clean and spacious. We noticed that the TV wasn't working and pointed this out to reception as we left for our evening meal - when we returned the TV had been replaced - can't say fairer than that.

The one thing I noted was that there didn't appear to be any tourist information brochures in reception or in the room - the room did have some nice books about SW Florida but you can't really take them with you when you go exploring. I say it didn't appear to have any brochures as they were all cunningly tucked away in the Business Centre which we didn't use until we were checking-in for our flight on our final night in town ! Perhaps, given that it is a tourist area, they could be more prominent.

I also noticed on the website that the hotel offers room-service - I did not find any information about this (or other hotel services) in the room itself.

This hotel is located just around the corner from all of the restaurants and night-life in Fort Myers. which is perfect if you want to relax and enjoy a few beers without the need for a designated driver or expensive taxi fares.

For breakfast we were pointed in the direction of The Broadway Diner which forms part of the arcade style entrance to the hotel. The food was excellent and really good value. We were surprised however to discover that the diner is not affiliated with the hotel (good job we had taken some money with us and not wanted to charge breakfast to our room as the guest behind us had wanted to).

All in all it's a well located, clean, well appointed hotel that could use some work when it comes to communicating with it's guests.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Place Fort Myers at The Forum
Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfront
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfro...
#1 of 4 in North Fort Myers

Been to Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District? Share your experiences!