“Wonderful Mexican food at a good price.”
Review of Chile Ranchero - CLOSED

Chile Ranchero
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Chile Ranchero is one of those little gems tucked away in a strip mall in Fort Myers. The décor is very simple but the food is terrific. We went not knowing what to expect and came away confirmed customers. My husband and I both like Mexican (and other ethnic) food and have visited many of the Mexican and other Hispanic restaurants in Fort Myers, of which there are many. We were greeted by a young waitress who was obviously from Mexico and she was a delight. The salsa and chips were nice with hot chips and very spicy salsa. The salsa was skimpy but that was o.k. as we were looking forward to our entrees. Our dinners came after a short wait and neither of us could finish the meal. Not because we didn't like it but because the portions were so substantial. The location on route 41 doesn't do the restaurant justice as it's pretty unassuming. However, don't be scared off by the locale; the food is great. We will definitely return and take our friends with us.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stopped in here alone while on business for a quick dinner. I didn't really like their chips (too oily) and the salsa comes in a very small cup and they charge 50 cents for each refill. This is unacceptable to me in a typical Mexican restaurant because I eat a LOT of salsa. They don't tell you in advance that you are paying for all refills. I had a steak quesadilla which was very good and it came with rice and beans. I would not return due to the salsa pricing, but I did enjoy my quesadilla.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is very authentic Mexican food you can find. From the home made tortilla chips to a great priced menu. You definitely get heavy portions, perfect for left overs. Every dish I have ever had is so tasty and delicious. The service is very polite and friendly. The location doesn't do this place justice. I truly love this restaurant and it is a must try!

1  Thank Ali M
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had visited Chile Ranchero with some friends earlier this year and enjoyed our meals. We had read recent good reviews and decided to introduce the restaurant to another couple. Also, we had read an article by a well-known food critic that mentioned Chile Ranchero as one of the few places in the area that made a great mole sauce. My wife loves mole and was looking forward to it.

When we arrived we were one of two tables (it did get busier as the evening progressed). There was only one server who also was the bartender, bus person, etc. The service was very slow. When my wife mentioned she wanted mole sauce, she was told that they did not serve it. The server did not even offer to ask the chef if he could make it. Very, very disappointing.

On the plus side, the white cheese sauce and the guacamole and the tortilla chips were excellent and the drinks were pretty good. The entrees were just okay. My wife was ok with the red sauce on her enchilada plate but did not like the green sauce. Also, we had a coupon and were told that it only applied to platters, so even though she did not want such a large entree, she had to order it. The other couple ordered platters and said they were ok but neither finished and neither wanted to take any leftovers home.

After this last visit, we are not sure we will return or recommend it to others. A shame really. Adding mole sauce and more than one server might help.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Almost everything is under $10 at lunch and everything I had was good. I had a bean soup and the mixed fajita with steak, shrimp, and chicken. The decor is plain.