“Outstanding golf and very good lodging”
Review of Streamsong Resort

Streamsong Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fort Meade
Bethesda, Maryland
“Outstanding golf and very good lodging”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Golf at the very top. Lodging will get even better as the lodge is open longer. The lodge had only been open a few weeks when we visited. The two golf courses on the other had did not seem immature at all.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ken B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Golfers, add this to the bucket list. Great hotel, service and golf in the middle of no where. Also, big bass fishing and great food. Two golf courses like nothing you have ever seen in Florida complete with Caddies. One designed by Ben Crenshaw and the other very similar. This property is an ex phosphate mine, and instead of filling the mine holes, they filled them with water and grew grass on mountains of slag, then build a golf course around it. A bit pricy at $226 plus caddy to ride, so I recommend you walk for $180 plus caddy. Without him, you will never figure out the greens. Excellent service, beautiful rooms, and a Pittsburgh style NY Strip I will savor in my brain for months from Grill 59. Don't miss this place!

Room Tip: Hotel is brand new. Ask for a room facing the west for sunset, then go to the bar on the roof and wa...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian T
Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have traveled the world and stayed in some of the finest resorts imaginable. One thing is certain when you are presenting yourself as a Top shelf, top of the line destination whether it be for sun, fun , relaxation, spa, dining, golf or any of the other reasons you pay the top dollar for, exemplary service is paramount. With 24 of most serious golf friends packed and ready to head to Streamsong resort this last weekend with the price points and the reviews we are expecting the best. Everything I have heard about this place makes us can’t wait to get there to experience golf and resort at its finest. You are catering to a very specific market, serious golfers with serious expectations for golf, level of service, and a top shelf resort with knowledgeable and professional staff. What we received was far from that on many levels.

Here is my review of the golf facility http://www.yelp.com/biz/streamsong-golf-streamsong?hrid=IZsg take it as you wish but the bottom line was that I felt this place was over hyped and overpriced. Now let us get to the real issue at the resort.

Hotel itself is something very unique as you drive up from the absolute middle of nowhere into this large 6 story property with 5 stories of rooms a lower / basement level of conference rooms available a rooftop bar and restaurant and a modern feel that is unique to any place I’ve ever been. Check in very efficiently and although we have requested deluxe single rooms with king beds the entire group received twin queen beds. Not a great issue but something to note.

Rooms themselves are nice in my opinion the perfect man cave. Every modern convenience from flat screen TV’s on both the bed side and sitting area side, free Wi-Fi in area where cell service is spotty at best to the large shower with looks and feels I’ve never seen before. Area for the toilet was stuck in like an afterthought and cramped very strange. Linens top shelf but the mattress for my delicate back was a bit too soft but the room itself was very nice. So far they are doing well.

Rooftop bar has great sunset view, a diverse tapas type menu with some nice staff from Marcee, Ross the Mgr and the rest of the servers. They were limited on some of the top shelf liquors available over at the clubhouse at Fifty Nine Steakhouse, but OK. Ladies served all night sunset was spectacular and prior to dinner we enjoyed our time here for some pregame libations.

Back in the shuttles as we head over to the Restaurant Fifty Nine located in the clubhouse which is by the golf courses. Here is where the fun starts. Originally we had a 10 top reservation and several other smaller reservations making up our party of 20 as some of our folks were not joining us this evening. With all of us sitting at the same time anyway they had set us up a room “Private” which was rally just an annex room separated by a wall of wine. We arrive sit and are handed a preset 5 course menu with limited selections from each section. I immediately called Nathan the Manager over and stated quietly and professionally that we would like a full menu, that nobody wanted this preset type deal. Without a hesitation in the world he said he could not provide a full menu, and I quote “If you don’t like it eat somewhere else”. Normally at this point I would simply walk out and head to the closes alternative taking me and my 20 person $4,000.00 / $5,0000.00 dinner & wine tab somewhere else. Unfortunately you are held captive here at the resort in the middle of nowhere and there are no other options.

Calmly and professionally we try to reason with Nathan that we are here to spend a tremendous amount of money, enjoy the company of our friends TOGETHER FOR DINING, the restaurant was about 25% occupied at 8:30PM and doubt it would be getting much more busy, why on earth would he limit us on a menu. No reason other than coldly and rudely continually stating company / resort policy is anything over 12 persons requires a preset menu. AT NO TIME during out reservation process was anyone told that moving our multiple tables totaling 20 to a private room would it result in changing the dinner to limited menu. No matter how many people went to talk to this guy he rudely told us go elsewhere.

The fun is only beginning - After 10 more minutes we relented and finally said OK sit us back to our original configuration of 10, 5 / 5 =20. He had the audacity at this time to tell me we can’t sit you all at the same time now, it would be unfair to the other patrons in the restaurant trying to take 20 individual orders “Some of you will have to wait”. Wait a second we had reservations already for 8:30 PM totaling 20 what is the difference now? He was simply being obstinate and to be perfectly honest this is where I normally would explode lose my cool and drop Nathan in the nearest pond only to be a cellmate of “Bubba” at the nearest county jail. Instead I simply could not take his condescending, rude idiotic behavior any longer and asked for his business card to report his careless unprofessional attitude to his higher ups. He refused for the next 10 minutes to provide me with anything other than his name tag name “Nathan” no card, no contact information nothing. He stood there smirking and laughing at me like the troll that he was.

The final straw was he stated if you don’t calm down I won’t sit you at all or have you removed. Now he was threatening me. Folks I’ve been around the block and truly this was the last straw. If he really believed I was actually going to sit down and patronize this restaurant at this time after the way I was treated he has another thing coming. I took a shuttle back to the resort, grabbed a snack and went to bed. Many of our original party with no place else to dine did eat here, but I could not in good conscience dine here and spend money. This not only ruined my evening and the evening of the others but the next morning the carryover effect of the experience ruined our day of golf as well. I have never been so happy as to depart a place head home and get away from Heehaw Hell.

The next day the group coordinator and their group concierge person had a conversation that was no apologetic only well I understand, we will look into it etc. At no time did anyone make an effort to apologize for the complete and utter lack of respect given to us and our party the night before.

Do what you want in making your decisions but you have been fair warned This resort, from their lack of communication on golf course rules and regulations and changes to our group, to their disregard for reservations for particular room types and to the unprofessional, condescending & idiotic attitude of their manager Nathan in their signature restaurant is the last place on earth you should ever book a trip, getaway, golf destination trip or conference. This place should be avoided like the plaque. Don’t spend a dollar here, don’t book any conferences, and don’t patronize their hotel property or their restaurants. They simply do not care. The millions that were spent in this place surely require top end personal to stay here and support it. I can see bankruptcy in their immediate future no way on earth they survive but their first thing they might do would be to dismiss Nathan from his duties. He will cost you a lot more than you will ever imagine never again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
22 Thank CRTicas
Innseeker56, General Manager at Streamsong Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear CRTicas,
I'm very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with us on the weekend. Our recent restaurant business has had unusually high demand on peak dining hours. We are working to make adjustments to our golfing group requests.
Thomas Parke
Director of Marketing
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I have played a lot of golf in my life, both in the US and internationally. I found the Red and Blue golf courses to be incredibly beautiful. The greens were however, a bit too dramatic: full of undulations with flags sitting on top of small hills, I got a handful of slippery puts and very rarely did I get the chance to try to make a straight put. The course is badly marked and the little booklet with the map of the course is not very accurate: I noticed that some of the tees were in a different position. I also found that some of the par 5s were very short and then, some of the par 4s were particularly long. I guess that is a function of which tee you choose to play from. Having a caddy is helpful, specially if you would like to know what part of the green you should favor when hitting into it. But caddies will add up to what is already a very expensive golf experience.
The hotel was beautiful and interesting. I loved the room and enjoyed the restaurants. The service was OK. The resort is new, it is in the middle of nowhere in FL and therefore it would be unrealistic to expect excellent service. But all of this comes with a very high price tag. I am glad I did it but I will be looking for better golf deals in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Maraberto1
Chicago
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just spent two nights at the new hotel. The hotel has only been open two months and there seemed to be very few guests. While still in a shake down phase, all the people we interacted with were very friendly and professional, especially Jack the concierge. The hotel is very modern, almost cold in its design. The guest rooms are excellent. Very spacious and comfortable with separate sleeping and sitting areas. Excellent bathroom with a large walk in shower.

In terms of meals, twice we had breakfast in the main floor restaurant. The food was very good though the service was a bit slow. We had dinner in the lower level Italian restaurant. While the food was quite good it was way over priced. Dinner for six was well over $700 including just two bottles of mid priced wine.

Neither restaurant takes advantage of the hotels views of the river. Both were almost windowless. Very bad design. The main areas of the hotel have great views, but not the areas where people dine. The roof top bar is the exception with great views, especially at sunset.

There is a good fitness center but when you look through the door all you see is a large empty room. You need to walk in and go around a corner to find any equipment. Not inviting and the women in our group said they would not want to go in alone. Again, poor design.

The spa on the lower level is very nice but very pricey. My wife had a 110 minute facial (really?) that cost $350!!!! My hour massage was $160. When you use the spa you can also take advantage of different hot tubs, cold water blasts, saunas etc. That can make the sticker price easier to swallow.

What brings people to Streamsong is the golf. Both courses are great. But it seems as though the hotel is designed for a market target well beyond high end golfers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TimeTraveler123
Boston
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Two of the most majestic, unspoiled and challenging golf courses you will find anywhere. The new hotel is very upscale, nice comfortable rooms. The food is exceptional but here is the but, the service for the amount of money you are paying is horrible. Everything from the front desk, to the restaurants to the bar tenders to the chefs (who just cant get the food out). They als nickel and dime you quite a bit.

Pros - Golf Courses as good as it gets, facillites exceptional
Cons - Service, Service and Service

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank SommelierBoston
Fordyce, Arkansas
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Two championship courses, designed by Crenshaw/Coore and Doak, very promising but showing all the signs of skimping on maintenance. Multitudes of unfilled divots fill the landing areas and the bunkers (not the waste areas) are full of footprints. Even worse, the rounds take forever. No Marshals to speed play, you can expect to spend over five hours, waiting on virtually every shot. Not acceptable.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bartow
Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland
Hampton Inn & Suites Lakeland-South Polk Parkway
Hyatt Place Lakeland Center

Been to Streamsong Resort? Share your experiences!