“Do not visit Boca without eating at Catalina!”

Mario's Catalina Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mario's Catalina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #120 of 1,366 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed June 29, 2014

It may look like just a tiny spot between the other buildings that line Federal Highway for miles, but this place is really special. Outstanding and creative dishes with a special personal touch -- they take great pride in their food and service. The interior is a trip! And don't worry if the owner gives your wife a kiss - that's just the way he is.

As far as I'm concerned, eating at Catalina is the highlight of any trip to Fort Lauderdale or Boca Raton.

1  Thank SBarrett2014

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Catalina is always FABULOUS. We have dined there many many times. It is terrific in every way. The food, service, ambiance, staff and MARIO are outstanding. YOU have to try it. Catalina will be your most favorite place to dine. A neighborhood gem.

1  Thank Lauren A
Reviewed June 25, 2014

When I read reviews I generally start with the bad reviews just in case! After reading the bad reviews I was afraid Mario was going to be making out with me while putting things on my bill I didn't ask for and forcing gift cards on me. But with all the good reviews I just had to give it a try and I am happy I did.
My family is from Cuba and I remember wonderful Sunday Cuban meals. Living in Wilmington NC this type of food doesn't exist. Mario's food was excellent.
When we entered we were greeted with a handshake and brought to the table and seated. A couple of minutes later delcious fried plantain was brought to the table....really outstanding but I was worried...will we have to pay for this extra? We didn't! The Mojito was perfect. The empanadas the best I have ever had and both meals were excellent. A second set of drinks arrived and again I feared....will I be billed since we didn't order them....NOPE. Dessert and Cuban coffee were excellent. When we got the bill it was exactly what we ordered. The concierge at our hotel had given us a 25% off coupon which they happily honored...and gave it back to us to use again when we returned. A second meal that week was exactly the same....great food, great service and a great experience. Neither time did we see anyone "assaulted" or complain about a bill. As far as the prices go....we paid more at some restaraunts and less at others. While it might seem expensive to some, compared to some other places to eat in the area it is price in the higher end of midrange.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I recently visited Sunrise Fort Lauder-dale Florida and visited Mario's Catalina with my family. We were quiet taken by the romantic setting and ambiance of the restaurant. The service was good the waiters and servers were excellent. The food was very good and the portion were good. A little pricey but was well worth it. Mario was very involved busy greeting guests and was very personable. Truly a great evening. Would go back to visit and recommend others to go

1  Thank Louise J
Reviewed June 21, 2014

From the moment we walked in the door, our experience could not have been better. We were made to feel welcome, the waiter was friendly and helpful, and the food great. We were started with some plaintain chips with a chimichurri type sauce, then I had some sangria, which was very nice. We were brought some starter salads courtesy of Mario, and later on, even though I had only ordered the one glass of sangria, Mario came over with another carafe. The rough week I had at work was melting away......
I had the vaca frita and it was the best I have had anywhere. My wife had a garlic shrimp dish that looked very nice.
Since we had a show to go to, we did not have time for dessert, but the dessert tray looked delicious. When we got our check, it came with 2 small desserts (Seasons 52 sized) compliments again of Mario.
I can;t believe it has been so many year since we had been here before - I will not let that much time go by again between visits!

1  Thank blintze