“better than home made!”

Mario's Catalina Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mario's Catalina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 1,371 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had the best lechon asado, a custom made delicious salad by the owner himself.... and the Mojito's were to die for!! I have food allergies and normally when I tell the waiters they get nervous and are confused. But not here! They handled it like a piece of cake and treated me so well. I left the restaurant soo happy and full and I think that everyone should come eat here regularly!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Great food and good service. Try Marios Beef. There were 5 in our pary and after the appetizer sampler we did not need entrees. My wife and I plan to go back to have drinks with the appetizer sampler and know we will be taking some home.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We dined here at this upscale Cuban/South American restaurant during a bachelor party of ten people and had an excellent experience. The service was fantastic and the food was even better. They were very welcoming and had no problem accommodating our table of ten. It was a relatively large dining room with an intimate atmosphere. We saw many young and older couples and families there. One birthday, one anniversary, and a wedding proposal. The waiters were very knowledgeable of the food and drinks and our water glasses and drink glasses were always full.

Out of ten people, not a single one of us had a bad dish or anything to complain about. We started with a huge sampler platter of empanadas, Cuban pork, chicken morsels, marinated beef, plantains, and more. It fed our entire party of ten and we still had a little left over. It was difficult to choose a main because everything sounded so good. We ended up ordering seafood paella, marinated skirt steak with shrimp, grilled red snapper coated with plantain chips, Cuban style pulled pork, seared grouper filet, and Jack Daniels marinated pork tenderloin. All were delicious and even though the food didn't need anything extra, the side of chimichurri sauce added a nice tough. The prices are at least $25 per main dish, but the portions were very plentiful and it is well worth it.

The drinks lived up to the food. They offer red and white sangria, and we went with the red... delicious. Several us also ordered mojitos, which we were told they were famous for, and I can see why. When we thought we were done with the meal, Mario brought us a complete set of refills on the sangria, several extra mojitos, and two or three rounds of tequila shots... all on the house. Then he placed a full bottle of tequila on the table, from which we took several more shots. He also gave us $175 in gift certificates to the restaurant. Anticipating we weren't able to drive home, they ordered us three cabs, which arrived in mintutes.

Overall this was an excellent experience. Fantastic service, delicious food, and a great atmosphere. We will be returning to the restaurant and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a South American flavor.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Had the pleasure of dining there recently with friends. We were going to go into Miami for some authentic Cuban food but found Catalina's and decided to check it out. Glad we did. I'm Cuban and a very tough judge, this was a great choice. From the genuine warmth of the staff to the excellent food, our experience was excellent. And don't let me forget the mojitos! I will definitely make this a regular stop when I'm in the area. Even my mom would have been impressed!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I went for a romantic night out using a Groupon I had purchased. We had mussels as appetizers, skirt steak and lobster for him, paella for me. The food was delicious, served at a good temperature and tasted fresh. The service however, left much to be desired. The manager, Mario, while he stopped and chatted at every single table , cheek- kissed virtually all the men and women in the restaurant, he gave our table a wide berth throughout the entire meal. At first I thought the other patrons were regulars which was why they may have been receiving special attention, until he chatted up the couple next to us and I realized it was their first time here too. We had to summon the waiter who seemed preoccupied with the other tables whenever we needed something because no one came to check on us. The restaurant was not crowded, and there was ample staff.... we were so upset by the end of the meal that we decided not to get dessert from the delectable looking selections. I can only surmise that they were uncomfortable with us (it seemed painfully obvious to the point if being comical) and that's why we were treated differently----my boyfriend and I are black. At the end of the meal after requesting the check, Mario finally made it over to us. I thought this was going to be our get to know each other session. I was wrong. He asked us where we were from and i replied. With that, he abruptly left, his obligations as host complete. My boyfriend and I were flabbergasted and looked at each other "what the heck?" It was nothing like the friendly 5-10 mins he spent with every and I mean every other table. We felt singled out and I had a very angry companion by the end of the night. I gave away the gift certificates we received. We won't be back. For the cost of those meals, they should provide the same level of service to all who patronize them....of every skin colour.

2  Thank k12503