“Smokey Bones Bar and Fire Grill is Smoking”
Review of Smokey Bones

Smokey Bones
Ranked #387 of 1,407 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were on our way for a family cruise on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas and were set to sail on July 13, 2013. We had checked into our hotel for the night prior to the cruise and we wanted to have a good meal as we had only done fast food stops on our drive to Florida from Tennessee. It was a Friday evening and everything was very crowded but our wait at Smokey Bones Bar and Fire Grill (809 S. University Drive, Plantation, FL) was well worth the wait! The crowd was having a great time throughout the restaurant and the wait staff were all very cordial and quickly had our drinks and starters on the table. The BBQ wings and the Spinach dip were both delicious. We were seated near the bar area and enjoyed watching one of the TV screens that was showing funny videos of sports figures attempting to catch high flying balls to the outfield and suffering funny mis-steps along with other "regular people" in funny situations. We had many good laughs as we enjoyed our starters prior to the arrival of our food.

Everything was really good. I had a marrinated chicken breast that was covered in a BBQ sauce and onion straws. It was out of this world!! The steamed vegetables that came on the side were perfectly cooked with a very nice crisp crunch as they were so fresh. Our waiter, Steve, kept my drink glass filled and I was one happy customer. Steve was very pleasant and happily answered our questions about the restaurant and what was really good on the menu as well as information about the surrounding area. He was very professional and when I asked he provided me with the business card from his Culinary Manager.

Smokey Bones is in a large shopping district and there were many fine restaurants to pick from. Since we had never been to a Smokey Bones before and we could see it was a busy place, we decided to give them a try. It was an excellent choice and we are now hoping that the company may decide to bring one of their restaurants closer to our home near Knoxville, TN. We want to be able to go to Smokey Bones again and it would be great if we did not have to wait for another trip to Ft. Lauderdale!

If you find yourself in the Ft. Lauderdale area, seek out Smokey Bones on S. University Drive and ask for Steve. He will see to it that you have a wonderful meal and experience. Smokey Bones offered us a terrific experience on our Friday night waiting to set sail on the Oasis of the Seas.

1  Thank Stan B

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This restaurant has such good food. Had the bacon cheeseburger-it was juicy and the bacon was sooo good. They even have name brand liquor for their 2 for 1. Their fries were delicious and the service was excellent. Would definitely revisit on next trip to Ft. Lauderdale.

1  Thank MarriedinMaui
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

The food is decent, having been to so many places I can compare it to a decked out Bono's BBQ. I'd never recommend a Bono's just using that as an example. Costs are high IMO - but then again this is Ft. Lauderdale. Everything's overpriced. I would go back!

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I didn't want to give them one more chance, but we did. The food was disgusting and pricy. Wait staff is no where to be found. After we complained, the manager told me he was going to give us gift cards, but he gave me coupons. Sure, that's going to get me back . I'll stick with Tom Jenkins BBQ .

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Ate here before our cruise. Good but it ain't Texas BBQ. A plus was that the driver from the Hampton Plantation Inn took us and picked us up. Great service from a hotel. The food at Smokey Bones was very good but the service so so.