“I'm in no rush to go back!”
Review of The Mason Jar Cafe

The Mason Jar Cafe
Ranked #189 of 1,374 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 22, 2012

A friend told me about The Mason Jar Cafe in Fort Lauderdale, and said it was a good place for nice, home, cooked meal. I was not impressed at all. Tonight's special was a 12 oz prime rib for $25.95 which included either two sides or a salad. I chose a Cesar salad which was small and had the most bland Cesar dressing I ever tasted. The withered lettuce made it even look ugly. My 12 oz prime rib tasted good but it had about 5 oz of fat around it. The atmosphere was pleasant but I know many comparable restaurants which serve much better food for the same or lower price. Sometimes "Home Cooked Food" can be a lost leader to make you think you're getting something really good, but I've been in many homes where the food isn't good at all. "The Mason Jar" falls into this category for me.

1  Thank Bill K

Reviewed November 13, 2012

OK, Mason Jar was not our first choice. We actually wanted to go to the Hi Life Cafe in the same shopping area (3000 N. Federal Hiway), but it was closed for good. We saw a lot of cars clustered around the Mason Jar and decided to check it out. Am I glad we did. This is a terrific place with large portions of wonderful dishes and good prices. The part that made the experience special was the conviviality. Scott and Paula (owners) and Kurt our waiter were terrific companions for the evening. We felt right at home even though the place was bustling. I had the Chicken Fried Steak when assured by Kurt that it was one of his favorites. My companion had their special burger. Both dishes come with two sides. You can trade in the sides for a salad if you choose. My steak was a delicious skirt steak, lightly crusted with an herb infused crust and served with a homemade white milk gravy. I had the corn bake and homemade fries with it. The homemade fries were shoestring type and nothing special. The corn bake/bread was very special with chunks of corn throughout. My friend's burger was huge and perfectly done. He raved about it. Scott (owner) told us that his Chicken Pot Pie is becoming famous and we should try that next time. You bet there will be a next time, and another, and another, and many more...

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Love the casual but continental atmosphere and the seafood stew is incredible. Have returned often always with a great dining experience.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

On Saturday evening we (4 adults) went to Mason Jar for dinner. I have to agree with Ricky Dietz. The food was OK but the service was horrible! At the end of the meal, one person paid cash and two of us paid with credit card. Mine was $45 and the other was $105. When the receipts came my card had the $105 receipt rapped around it. The other people look at the $45 receipt and saw my name. We assumed she just switched the cards. The following Monday I check my charge card to see what was charged. Both amounts were charged to my card!!! I called the restaurant. When the woman answered I asked to speak to the manager. She said, “Just a minute.” Then proceed to say, “There’s a guy on the phone that want’s to speak to the manager. I haven’t done this before. Do you want me to tell him you are not here?” I said, “Do you know I can here every word you are saying?” She then said, “What do you want.” I told her there was a problem with my charge card. A minute later the manager came on the line. I told her what happened. She said she could understand that. It was not unusual for that to happen!!! She said she had the receipts at home and would check them and call me back that evening. She never returned the call. I called my friend and his card was not charged. I thought I was dining at an upscale café. Instead it turned out to be Joe’s Sloppy Dinner!!!

2  Thank rfountn
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been to The Mason Jar Café twice and both times the experience was memorable. Most recently my boyfriend and I stopped by on a Saturday night prior to a show at The Parker Playhouse. We shared a crab cake appetizer which sits over a small salad. The cakes were delicious as was the salad! For dinner, I had the Chicken Pot Pie and my boyfriend had the Snapper special. Each dish comes with two sides and after our first experience sharing brussel sprouts, we knew to order our own…they are that good. They actually peel the leaves off the sprouts prior to sautéing them with butter and pistachio nuts…delicious! I also ordered a side of carrots, which were equally good, and I am not a huge carrot fan so that says a lot. The chicken potpie was huge…big enough to split, but so yummy you want to keep it all for yourself. The flaky crust on top went very well with what hid underneath…loads of chicken, potatoes, carrots and peas in a creamy, but not too heavy sauce. It was so good that even after I was full I could not stop myself from taking “just one more bite”. My boyfriend helped me finish it off…as he often does. The Snapper special came with a butter lemon sauce and it was divine. My boyfriend, an avid angler who has eaten his far share of fish, thought it was the best dish he had in a long time. The wine list is limited, but there is enough of a selection to find something good to go with your meal. It can get very busy at times so I would suggest making a reservation. Cannot wait to go back!