“Gallery hosts accomodating/nice hotel/free shuttle”

Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Gallery hosts accomodating/nice hotel/free shuttle”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel over the Memorial Day weekend. Our first impression came from the free shuttle at the airport. The driver was friendly and helpful. Subsequently we used the shuttle to take us to the Jungle Queen cruise line on Monday, the busiest day because of the holiday. The driver did not complain about all of the traffic going to the beach he just took it in stride. We then were taken back to the airport on Tuesday. The shuttle driver on Tuesday gave us a helpful hint with our luggage which we appreciated.

Secondly, our room was comfortable and spacious (my daughter and I previously stayed at a Hyatt Place in Philadelphia) so we knew what to expect. However, this was my husband's first stay at a Hyatt Place and he felt very comfortable with his experience.

We arrived late Saturday night and knowing that food is available for purchase and/or to be made 24/7 we decided to order off the menu. Any food purchased and/or made can be added to your folio. The food was served on regular plates (not paper plates or in a Styrofoam box) with a beautiful presentation. We were also given regular silverware and not plastic silverware. The
presentation is very much appreciated in these days of our throwaway society.

We had one issue with housekeeping not cleaning our room the one day we were gone the entire day. In trying to figure out what happened, we realized that the do not disturb paper sign somehow was put into the door slot after we left and thus housekeeping left our room alone. My opinion to the hotel management is that these paper signs are cheap and ineffective. I suggest they invest in plastic signs and/or magnets (which I have seen in other hotels) for do not disturb. When I brought this situation to the gallery hosts' (as they are called) attention, after a few minutes of being on hold, he agreed to give me a $20 credit for the night. I certainly appreciated it.

I had hoped to swim while there but unfortunately the pool was in need of cleaning. This did not happen until Monday morning so our time did not allow for us to swim. I was bummed by that. Another suggestion I have to the management for the pool. Look at the vegetation around the pool. With the winds blowing as much as they did, perhaps the vegetation is in need of being reduced so that there is less chance of the pool having leaves in it most days.

Overall, if we were to find ourselves back in Ft. Lauderdale, we would certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and time in writting this review. We will be sure to share this with our staff to only enhance and continue delivering stellar service. Our sincere apologies or the mishap with housekeeping, and have mentioned the idea of the upgraded signs for the rooms so this does not happen in the future. Thank you again and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

All the best, Audra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
durban
Reviewed May 29, 2013

booked this hotel after reading all the reviews on trip advisor!
was not dissapointed!
free shuttle from the airport was efficient and available in reasonable time
to call shuttle go to hotel information screens located at baggage pick up
we arrived after an 18 hr flight and were allowed to check in early
which was really greatly appreciated
staff were pleasant and helpful
was really pleasantly surprised by the room size ,decor ,comfort and cleanliness
stayed one night only prior to cruise
hotel shuttle took us to car rental office close by
did not really explore surrounding area as we drove to galleria mall and sawgrass mills
sawgrass is highly recommended for outlet shopping
for pre cruise shopping
did buy some drinks from the nearby publix
breakfast was free and very good although seating area was a bit limited
really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend this hotel precruise

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank saradurban
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review and feedback of your stay at our hotel. We sincerely thank you for the kind words and will share with our team. Our apoligies for the seating at breakfast. It can at times become very congested - it really depends on what time all of our guests come down to eat breakfast. We do take measures in opening up our meeting space for our guests to eat and its more spacious. We do hope to see you again and thank you for your business. All the best,
All Over
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night. We appreciated the spacious room, equipped with large tv, safety deposit box, tea/coffee maker with good quality teabags, and fridge. The bathroom layout was a bit strange in that the sink was outside, with just the shower and toilet inside.
The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning very efficient without being too noisy. The wireless internet was a bit slow and intermittent.
The free breakfast was appreciated although the hot water for the tea wasn't boiling hot. We waiting a little bit to check in and out but we weren't in a rush.
Overall we were very happy with our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. We certainly do appreciate your business and time in writting to us to only enhance your future stays. The above items have been addressed and again we thank you for your stay and hope to see you again in the near future. All the best,
Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our room was dirty with syrup on the carpet. We carme back from dinner to find the room covered in ants and small spiders. The staff acted as if we were lying and told us they did not have another room. After a mini hissy fit, they magically had another room. Terrible customer service, we didn't even get an apology.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Faye1584
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your response. My sincere apologies in regards to the room and customer service experience you encountered during your stay with us. Please know this is not the culture at our hotel, and these issues will be addressed with all of our staff members. We strive for exceptional accomodations with 100% guest satisfaction in customer service. Again, please accept my apologies on behalf of the team here, and know that your comments and feedback is greatly appreciated. We do hope that if ever you are in Ft. Lauderdale in the future, you will stay with us and give us another opportunity to share with you how our hotel truly operates. Thank you again. Audra
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is a very comfortable place to stay and the rooms provide enough space to be a place where you can do some work, watch TV, or just relax without being in someone's space as the rooms are large with couch, desk, sink and a small separation for persons.
The staff were extremely friendly, the breakfast provided good options. The important thing is to timing your time to eat, as the hotel is a prime spot for tourists going on cruises and when crowded it is hard to find a place to sit. Check with staff as to best time to come down to eat. Hotel located next to two restaurants, so one can walk from hotel to eat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We do truly strive to reach each guest and make their stay as enjoyable as we possibly can. I will most certainly share your feedback with our teams and let them know. Again, thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We do hope to see you again in the near future. All the bes!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is your typical Hyatt Place (stay and one and you've stayed at them all, except you can expect better service at other locations). I will make clear that Hyatt Place is normally not my choice of properties when I travel for business. I travel on business approx. 40 weeks per year, so hopefully this adds some weight to my critical review of this property. I am normally very complimentary in my reviews.

For starters, the female "Gallery Host" as they are called, who checked me in was less than cordial -- "blah" best describes her demeanor. A gentleman who seemed to be the manager (reddish blonde hair) was curt during our brief exchange.

Another HUGE annoyance was the insulting sign in the elevator which states that $5 per night is charged to every room bill for "parking charges." You've got to be kidding me. This is a non-airport property with an open parking lot. Hotels are finding every way possible to make a buck off of guests. If you do not have a car with you on your visit, insist that they remove this charge. Heck, even if you DO have a car, insist they remove this insulting charge!

The property exterior and common areas were clean and well-maintained.

The room had a few issues which I will describe in a bit. I will say that they have kept the quality of the furnishings up to par since these properties were all converted to Hyatt Place. Rooms in Hyatt place properties are ALWAYS identical with a nice sized living room space separated by a half-wall with the bed on the other side. There is a mini-fridge and Keurig-type coffee maker and a desk for the road warrior. Plenty of electrical outlets as well. When they converted these properties from AmeriSuites they must have hired a cut-rate architect. The closet, adjacent to the sink, is THE smallest closet EVER found in a hotel room. It was the result of very poor planning when they re-configured the AmeriSuites rooms into Hyatt Place rooms. Also, their rooms are missing an essential piece of hotel-ware -- the luggage stand. The only place to put your luggage is either on the floor or on the L-shaped sofa in the living area. Again, shame of Hyatt Place for leaving out this essential item!

I don't remember other Hyatt Place properties having a walk-in shower rather than a shower/tub combo, but these rooms had a walk-in shower, which is fine, unless you need a tub -- then this is not the property for you.

While on the subject of the bathroom, I found a rust stain streaking down from the shower hand-hold, and a rust stain on the shower curtain rod. Both very obvious, and obviously overlooked.

There was also what appeared to be an iron burn mark in the carpet near the micro-closet.

I've uploaded photos of all three of these flaws.

One last complaint, the hotel WiFi left LOTS to be desired with spotty connections. The connection would drop multiple times, for long periods.

On a more positive note, I did interact with a different Gallery Host, an African-American female who was quite nice.

All-in-all, not a terrible experience, but needless to say, I now know why I shy away from Hyatt Place properties when traveling.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Greetings to you.

Thank you for your feedback and constructive comments on our hotel. We value them greatly and will address each item as outlined. At this Hyatt Place we strive daily to continuously improve our product and service and with whom and how you described your experieince we can be attentive to the importance in delivering service so memorable. For the luggage rack, we do carry in the closet in each room, perhaps your room was missing, in the future just give the Operator a call and we can bring it up for you. The internet was actually just upgraded due to the very reasons you stated. Parking fees are assesed for those guests who are staying here to control who is an actual guest verses those who leave their car here to travel to the airport of cruise port - which we do find and this is not part of our services. Again, all issues have been addressed and I am very sorry that you had to experience these items as this is not the norm for our Hyatt Place. We do hope to see you again. Thank you in advance. Audra Durham
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel is very nice. Breakfast is okay. What really ticked me off is, They charge to park your car. I was not aware of this. I was flaber gassed when told I needed to pay a $5.00 per nite fee. This is even if you are staying at this hotel. I have NEVER paid to park my car at a hotel when staying there or going to the airport by their shuttle when I have a reservation to stay there before or after a vacation. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greetings!

Thank you so very much for comments and review of our hotel. We do charge for parking to control whom our guests are versus those guests who will park their vehicles here with our hotel not being aware for airport and cruiseport purposes. Please do give our hotel another opportunity to stay with us. We would love the oppotunity to correct this experience for you.