“Average, but that's not a downgrade”

Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I liked this hotel, but it was nothing special. The location makes it hard to find and access. It's behind a bunch of restaurants. The staff was friendly and the hotel was clean. The breakfast choices were plentiful, but nothing anywhere near gourmet. The wifi service worked fine for two days, but I had difficulty on my last night. I probably would have gone with four stars if the breakfast service had not been on plastic plates with plastic cups. The one reason I would come back is the size of the rooms. I was happy to have a living room that was very comfortable and a desk to work at. The room included a kitchenette.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for your kind review about your experience in our hotel. Being that we are a limited service hotel, we do have certain standards that the brand has and we must follow, however, at all times we do have metal silverware, and the plates, cups, etc are that of a higher standard than plastic. We do hope that you will share your experience with your friends and family and we do hope to see you again, All the best.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,317)

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here recently for one night before a cruise. This was our 3rd visit, and it just gets better every year. We arrived about noon and were able to check right into our room. Everything was spotless, and we love the suite style with the large sectional sofa, sink and fridge, and comfortable beds. The morning breakfast was great, especially with the addition of the egg sandwiches since our last visit. The front desk staff are the most helpful and friendliest we've ever seen. Free wi-fi worked great. Would love to come back for a longer visit!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MichiganCcole

Thank you for your kind review. We do sincerely appreciate your business and hope that you will share your experience with your friends and family and most importantly you come back again to see us...Thank you again, all the best!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed here before and after a recent cruise. While still VERY expensive it was one of the more affordable. They offer shuttle service to the port for $7.00 per person. The rooms are well appointed and very nice. There is limited 24/7 food and beverage in addition to the included breakfast. Within blocks there is trolley service that takes you to many Ft. Lauderdale points of interest.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Greetings!!!! Thank you for your kind review about our hotel. Although we are a great location for pre/post cruise, please do know that we cater to every guest whether it be for a cruise, vacation, visitng a corporate business, or a convention. We thank you again for your time and considerations, and do hope that we will see you again real soon. All the best!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

A very busy weekend in Fort Lauderdale forced me to choose a different hotel than the one usually used. This was a very good choice! Every thing seems new, the staff very good, breakfast one of the best ever for an included meal, rooms large and well furnished. In a very quiet area. Shuttle to the cruise ships was very well organized. Highly recomnended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
AUDRA D, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Greetings and thank you for your "excellent" review of our hotel. We do take great pride in providing great service and accomodations to each and every guest every stay. Thank you again for the review and we do hope to see you again real soon. Best,

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th St. Convention Center hotel the night before my cruise. I booked using Priceline Express Deals and got the room for $124 plus tax for the night. It was worth every penny. They provided a free airport shuttle and a very nice breakfast was included. The location was overall pretty good, however it is not within easy walking distance to the beach area, but I knew that before I got there. There is not a whole lot to do if you are staying here for a long time without a car. I arrived at 1:00 pm and had a whole day to spend, and it can be difficult if you don't have a rental car, but it works out. The cab fare from the hotel to the beach area is around $10 (flat rate) depending on traffic. It's about a 40 minute walk if you attempt to walk to the beach area from the hotel. It is a nice walk over the causeway but other than that your'e walking next to the main road. There was a nice pool area in the back with places to sit down with tables. Parking is not free, a fee of $5 is charged and your credit card will be charged $25 for incidentals, but will be credited back if nothing happens. The room was big, clean, and spacious with a big flat screen TV with good channels. There were plenty of sitting areas and the beds were very comfortable. The room was perfect for a family with teenagers. I would definitely recommend this hotel for short stays before or after cruises.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank robertoluvsaz

Thank you for your great review. We not only cater to the cruise passenger clientele, however, all types are welcome and encouraged to stay with Hyatt Place. With all the ammenities and the great location ~ it is a win win for all. We do hope you share your positive stories abut our hotel with your friends and family. See you soon, Best

Reviewed February 3, 2013

In October 2012 we stayed at this hotel on the night before our cruise and the night after we returned. I had to make a sudden trip to Fort Lauderdale and while trying to think of a place to stay I remember our stay here and booked a room. There is a free shuttle to and from the airport, a free breakfast every morning and the staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Carol H

Thank you for your great review and comments on what a great place to stay. We do take our guests feebback very seriously and share with our teams to make it a most memorable experience for each and every guest each and every stay. Thank you again, and we do hope to see you again real soon. All the best,

Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel is in a super convenient location. The grounds and entrance and lobby were always clean and well lit for the two weeks I stayed here.
I booked online and when I checked in, I was told that there were no available rooms that had a king size bed, so they put me in a different room. No biggy as I was alone.
My room was huge. I had a sofa, a work desk, a coffee pot, a mini fridge. There were to double beds and lots of counter space in the bathroom area. I also had a decent view. The bed was very comfy, the only thing I would like is to have a more firm pillow. This hotel has food available like room service, but they don't bring it to you, you have to get it from the front desk attendant. The front desk is conjoined with a small bar that is next to the area that is used for the breakfast serving area. The lobby is in an open floor plan and the colors are all very welcoming.
Breakfast was impressive in my opinion for a buffet style. They had a nice variety.
They do offer a shuttle bus to and from the airport free of charge. There is a bus that will take you to the cruise terminal for a small fee.
The hotel does have do it yourself laundry facilities located on the first floor. There is also a fitness center and pool.
There is a strip center with a grocery store located within about a five minute walk. This was great since I stayed here for two weeks.
My room was located on the fifth floor away from the elevator, this was nice as there were a lot of kids running up and down the halls pushing the buttons and screaming.

I will most definitely stay here again when I return to Fort Lauderdale.

Room Tip: If you want quiet then a room at the end of a hall.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your response and elaborate review of our hotel and the surrounding areas. We always try to provide service so memorable that our guests share stories about it in the postive manner. We do hope to see you again real soon.

All the best!