“Happy with Marriott BeachPlace Towers”

Marriott's BeachPlace Towers
Ranked #35 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Lake Worth, Florida
“Happy with Marriott BeachPlace Towers”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We went for a short getaway to BeachPlace Towers for a two night stay in an efficiency unit. The weather could have been better but we enjoyed our stay. We had no problem with the elevators. We arrived at 1:30 and did have to wait until 3:00 to get our unit. Since check-in is at 4:00 we could not really complain. They took our cell phone number and told us they would call when the unit was ready, which they did. The room was on the 12th floor with a great view of the ocean. Typical Marriott room, clean and with a flat screen TV, microwave, refrig. and nice bathroom. The hotel location is wonderful. Due to the weather we did go to Galleria mall which is within 2 miles. Had a wonderful meal at Capitol Grill (fabulous lunch) and also enjoyed Season 52 at the mall. We did get to sit on the beach and swim in the ocean with is across the street from the timeshare. We own at Marriott Oceanpointe which is much more sophisticated, has much nicer pools, a great restaurant at Sailfish Marina (a short walk) and close to PGA Blvd with fantastic restaurants and shopping. Also, Oceanpointe is not too far from City Place. But if you want alot of action within walking distance Beach Place fits the bill.. We didn't have any problem parking in the garage ($14 per day or $40 per week) and is easy to negotiate once you get used to it. Being on the beach its nice to have parking so close.

Room Tip: The higher floors will be quieter since their is music on the street below.
2 Thank Lorna14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We are happy Marriott VC owners and have stayed in many resorts. We stayed here for a long Memorial Day weekend. We had a 1 bedroom, ocean view, nice balcony, and on 3rd floor (which was blessing when we used stairs, since the elevators are a bit of a problem at this resort--they are currently modernizing the elevator system, we were told). The resort is older, but the room was spacious, the bed and linens etc. were good. The small bathroom had an average tub, not on par with typical Marriotts we have stayed at. It is across the street from the public beach. Marriott does not have beach facility or chairs, etc. There is a small pool and deck, very little shade or umbrellas, situated on the lobby level (which is actually the roof of the shopping mall below). We did not need a car, as we found plenty to do and places to eat and drink within walking distance. We found basics (drinks, beer, some groceries) at CVS right below the resort. The Marketplace in Marriott is very small, and charged almost double the prices at CVS. The 2 bedroom, or master suites, have a washer. We used the free laundry room on the first floor. The fitness center is basic: a few eliptical machines, treadmills, bike, a few weight machines.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Intercoastal Canal have nice view, perhaps nicer than the beach view.
4 Thank Sonrapp
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I preface this with saying: we stayed here over 10 years ago when it was first built. Absolutely loved it then! But now: 1st complaint; we knew we had to pay $14.00 a night to park, they warned us ahead of time. But we didn't know, there is no security and the lower levels are public parking; even before I arrived to the front desk someone had stolen my ipad! Don't ask me how they did it, I couldn't tell you, but I had it when we were driving here, because we had to go via a detour; a 20 min trip took 1 1/2 hours due to shut down for annual beach day celebration; which we were not warned about prior to arrival. Anyway, we could see the blue dot on the ipad GPS and were using it while driving; so this is my confirmation we had not lost it prior to our arrival at this hotel. 2. Prior to arrival we received an email requesting what room we would like and we asked for an ocean view. Upon arrival we were told that they always give the Ocean view rooms to the Owners first and then MVC 2nd; Granted it was not promised, but why did they even bother asking ahead when they knew they make us low priority? They did say after the holiday if there was one available we could be moved. We agreed to this; however, they never mentioned what I read last night when reviewing their check in materials; when you are moved you are charged $89.00 for cleaning fee! I have never heard such a thing! Now if I knew for a fact that the maid doing the cleaning was being paid that $89.00 I would not care, but let's get real, they are typically the most underpaid staff at the hotel. And btw, we do own a timeshare and traded in, so they are treating other times share owners as 2nd class citizen. 3. Other beach hotels we have stayed at that were this caliber have provided beach supplies at cost that were decent. The umbrella and chairs you can rent for $3.00/ $2.00 a day was pitiful and would not stay in the sand, and you had to carry them to the beach yourself and set them up. There was no staff to help. 4. The elevators were horrid! 5. The open area where the shopping is that you walk through to get to the beach was terrible. There was a room with windows that said security and every time we walked by there was NO ONE there! In fact, the 2nd night we were here I saw a couple arguing loudly at each other and thought I was going to witness a domestic violence situation with no security anywhere to be found! I saw one young lady sitting on the concrete in the middle of the walkway with her phone plugged into an outlet on the phone, begging the person she was talking to about something. Then later I saw the 3 of them together, looked like a pimp situation! 5. Saw a homeless man sleeping beside the hotel. 6. The staff for the most part are all pleasant. 7. Other than the lousy view of the parking garage and a crane and a few buildings and waterway behind that, the room itself is up to standard. Not exceptional, but acceptable, nothing to complain about with the furnishing.
I am still here today, we arrived 05/26 and leave 06/022/12; if I think of anything more to say about this hotel I will share.
Now that we are here, we will stay in the room assigned, due to not wanting to pay the extra fee, however, I will add that this will be our last time at this location; although there are many restaurants and entertainment on this strip. As we crossed the street last night to walk right outside our hotel we witnessed what appeared to be a drug deal! I am glad I have no small children with us.

Room Tip: Remember requesting an ocean view room doesn't mean you will get it unless you are an owner or j...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sumonesvaca
MVCI_Executive, Manager at Marriott's BeachPlace Towers, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Marriott's BeachPlace Towers. We apologize the (level of service) did not meet your expectations.

Your satisfaction is important to us. In order for us to appropriately address your concerns, please contact our Customer Care office at Marriott Vacations Worldwide via email at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384.

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Customer Care
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed here from April 28, 2012- May 5. This will be long but helpful for those considering it. I will try to touch on almost all areas.

1. ROOMS- We stayed in a 2 bedrm on the 16th floor overlooking the waterways that was very clean and nicely layed out. The master had a large sunken tub, separate shower, & two vanities which was great. The second bedrm has its own bath, mini kitchen, and couch. The only negative to the room was that they give you only 4 plates, 4 bowls, 4 each of forks , spoons, etc. This is NOT very water conservative for it would require using the dishwasher a lot. Go over to the second bedrm and grab all its' dishes and cutlery and bring to main kitchen. Also grab its' liquid dishwashing soap to handwash pots & pans since there is none in the main kitchen. This will give you 8 of everything. They also have a nice stacking laundry & dryer.However, bring one laundry pod or laundry sheet from home as they only supply one & bring two dishwashing cubes since they only supply two packets. Also bring your own salt & pepper as there is none supplied. We usually get some in most timeshares. Beds are excellent. I have a bad back & they were very comfortable. Even the fold out bads were okay. Closets have ample room. TVs are flat screens. DVD player in room so bring a couple of movies. Two balconies.

2. POOL-It is on the lobby level or 5th floor & is small for the # of guests this hotel can have. But you are here for the beach . The two hot tubs are nice and large. Clean pool towels are available everyday and they even have about 5 noodles for use. The downside is there is constant noise from the restaurants' blowers and stacks that are just below the level of the pool. You can't even hear the ocean or see it except for a tiny area.

3.BEACH- Access not that hard as there is a crosswalk. Take one step off the curb & just wait for the front cars to come to a halt. Most all will as it is a law.

4. LOBBY-It is clean & I always found the front desk helpful and friendly. They do allow you to print boarding passes for free. Wireless internet access is available for free in the rooms just allow a bit for it to connect, especially the first time.

5. ELEVATORS-This seems to be an irritant for most who have commented. Check-in day on Saturday & somewhat on Sunday did take a bit but we were on the 16th floor. The rest of the week it didn't really take too long if you have a bit of patience, most 3-4 minutes. Three elevators are working for the next year and they were clean & could hold quite a few people. I have been to other places where the elevators were even slower and they had six of them working.

6. PARKING GARAGE-I can see how this can be frustrating as the Marriott's parking is on the 4th and 5th floor of the garage, quite a bit of going round & round & the corners are tight with some cars, especially taxis going fast. The solution is to do what we did.......park with the garage not the Marriott. When you come in you will be on Parking L. Go to the right after you get your ticket and go immediately to the right again. There will be a door to Standard's parking office. Take your Marriott reservation in & the ticket you just got & request their rate of $50 + $10 admin fee or $60 total. This will be a savings of over $45 since Marriott charges $14 per day + taxes or about $105 for the week. They will give you an access card that you must wave in front of the machine with a light to go in & out. Now park on that level or P1 or P3. There is no elevator access to the Marriott on P2. We parked on P1 & this saved alot of time from going round & round. Also, do not park near the entrance to the shops (back towardt the end of the row or the ramp up to P2 is good) since some people leave there beer bottles on the ground near the front spaces. They do get cleaned up but the parking staff doesn't get to them till the middle of the next day. You will need to buzz the Marriott the first time to access their elevators until you get your room key. This is a security precaution to keep out the restaurant & shop patrons, especially those that have drank too much.

6. GROCERIES-if you are coming from the airport, stop on the way at the Publix on the 17th St. Causeway. There is also a large liquor store next to it A 24 hr CVS on street level in front of the Marriott but it is pricey. Use it for things you forgot. There is also a Fresh Market store about 3 miles or 10 minutes from the Marriott at 424 N. Federal Hwy. It had just opened when we were there & I didn't want to battle the crowds. Another Publix is across the street from it.

7. BEACH CHAIRS- The Marriott charges $3 per chair/day. On the beach it is $10 + $5 for a cushion/day. Stop at the Walgreens coming in & grab a couple of cheap beach chairs & then sell them to somebody in the hotel. They will be grateful & you will get at least 1/2 back thus saving you money.

8. RESTAURANTS-We didn't eat out a whole bunch but the ones we ate at were okay. Lots within walking distance. The best of the bunch & highly rated for Ft. Lauderdale is the Casablanca Cafe. Located just north (left out of hotel) within walking distance you will see it. Everyone in my party raved about their food. I had the blue crab crusted Florida Mahi Mahi which was excellent & about $26. Another had venison that melted in his mouth. We did find the atmosphere quite noisy however, but the food was worth it.

Enjoy!!!!!! Hope this was helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank nlbrown
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The next time I see a bad review on this site, I will take it seriously. We stayed here May 12-19, 2012. We are Diamond timeshare owners who had exchanged this place via Interval International. The parking is confusing and expensive at $14 per day. You have to go through two different check-in points.

I had personally called the guest services Marguerite Green, the guest services representative, at least three months prior to our stay requesting either an oceanfront or intracoastal view on a high floor. I was assured we would have one or the other. We also received an e-mail asking us to select the type of view we wanted. Again, we made the same request. When we arrived, the desk clerks assigned us to a third floor room with supposely an "intracostal view." When I told them I had been in touch with guest services, they were polite but unapologetic, with the usual "we have to take care of our Marriot owners." The elevator situation was terrible, especially over the weekend. On Marriott owner told me on the elevator that it had gotten worse every year.

Our "view" included a parking lot (the bright lights made it impossible for us to enjoy the evening city lights) and an outdated dirty building across the street. Rooms were clean and fairly nice. The worst part of this hotel is the beach access. You have to go down the elevators and cross the street to get to a public beach that is very crowded. Since we were on a lower floor, we took the exit steps down. The lower steps were poorly lighted, dirty, and we saw roaches the size of Texas. Not pleasant. The public beaches don't allow alcohol, so don't expect to have a sunset stroll with a glass of wine. Traffic in the area was extremely congested on the weekend days.

The mall below the hotel had okay restaurants–we had lunch at Lulu's and it was fine. The mall mainly consists of junky beach attire, t-shirts and jewelry shops. This place was convenient to a number of nicer restaurants and the water taxi stand. The pool deck was pleasant and nicely landscapred although it overlooked the vent hoods for the restaurants if you got too close to the edge and the smell of fried food was constant.

We were not happy with this place and absolutely would never, ever return.

Room Tip: Unless you are a Marriott timeshare owner, don't expect to get the view that you want.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank BellaPea
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This time share hotel is directly across a street from the ocean beach. Great views from any direction. Excellent restaurants are adjacent. A liquor store is in the CVS in the ground level mall and it is a short drive (we took the convenient bus) to the Galleria mall. Yes a elevator was being renovated but we had no delays in January. The access for cabs is an adventure because we had experiences of the cab missing the entrance and getting frustrated with the entrance as well as the 4 story drive through the parking garage to check-in. Even had a car rental company rep crash into a post on the way out. However, the reasonable price and location outweigh the access issues.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This place is mixed at best. YES there were cockroaches in our room (we found 2) and we checked into the Westin at 1am.

I stayed with my girlfriend for a week in a 1 bedroom timeshare and we were placed on the 5th floor. We went on a 1 night trip to Key West, and when we returned? You bet, a 1 inch 6 legged friend and a baby roach in the bed.

In all fairness I was assured that the actual hotel didn't have a roach problem. The manager on staff was certain it's because our room was next to the trash chute. (on the 5th floor) And apparently the market value of a cockroach in your room is $14, since he comped us 1 night's parking for our troubles.

If I completely remove the cockroach situation from our stay and try to rate the hotel objectively, the place would have 3 stars. Rooms have good views, good location and the staff seemed like they were trying REALLY hard.

I'm a brand loyal Marriott Gold member and granted, I was using a timeshare but it will be a very long time before I stay here again. Maybe pack a can of Raid in your suitcase just in case...

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room (ocean side) and make sure you aren't near the trash room!! (cockroache...
1 Thank Kevin D