“We exchanged into this resort thru Interval”

Marriott's BeachPlace Towers
Ranked #35 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Smyrna, Delaware
“We exchanged into this resort thru Interval”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

After months of anticipation for our cruise and staying at this resort for the week before, there are so many cons and not many pros. We didn't get the exact same size unit we own. that is an interval issue and not a marriott the front desk states. A few weeks before our arrival a vacation planner emailed me to go over what services are "available" here at BeachPlace. This is when I find out I am not in a one bedroom unit but the "hotel" unit which just doesn't have a larger refrig or a washer/dryer. So I email this person back again and inform them I have a confirmation from them stating I am in one bedroom unit with washer/dryer. A supervisor vacation planner writes back and says after reviewing our paperwork and says Interval made a mistake however the property has complimentary washer and dryers for guests. Husband says that will be alright. Look at the location.. We had visited the area for one night pre cruise last december and said look a marriott resort....have to check to see if we can trade. Sure enough there was availability for our needs. Marriott....we were so so excited. Well when the email exchanges started, my excitement dropped and caution flags went up. Then trip advisor took over. lol yikes what had we traded into. Well on to the form you sent back via email...housekeeping charges. I am like what? We don't have these fees at our Jockey Club in Las Vegas. Oh yes major fees for daily housekeeping, or once during the week or limited. I declined them all. My unit at the jockey club also has an oreck vacuum and brooms and anything i need for cleaning if needed. we can daily service for trash and bed making and also towel exchange. Then mid week extensive cleaning. Not the case for here. Nothing unless you PAY! Very very disappointing. thought it was because we were not owners but exchanged..oh no...not from what we have heard talking to other guests. Well surely I will have something in the unit if needed to clean up sand or wipe kitchen area. No not the case. So day arrives we get here. Garage is a mess but we had parked here before. Don't park with marriott on floors 3 and 4. go there and check in but get your paperwork to take to garage office. Park on the lower floors. you save 40 bucks for a week with this option. Elevators. All of the other reviews were so correct. No service elevators for the employees. They use the guest elevators and they also override where you are wishing to go as it is more important for them to get where they are going. Our unit faced the ocean and boardwalk on 17th floor. Oh forgot...our paperwork had nice little note..beware guest was promised washer/dryer 1 bedroom. what the heck? We walk in...it is so much smaller than our unit we own. Very disappointing. It is a larger hotel room with a bar area with sink, microwave, small frig undercounter. Closet has iron/ironing board along with a room safe. We had a queen sleeper. Linens for the sleeper were kept on the top shelf of closet. Unit had small flatscreen tv on a small three drawer chest. Not a lot of storage for four people as this is the max amount of people for this unit. This property has hotel rooms, along with one and two bedroom units. Ants everywhere and smelled of heavy cleaning solutions. For days my sinus bothered me. Kept the balcony door open as much as possible to air out the room. the red ants in the bathroom were everywhere so beware. desk says...oh its florida. hmmm Bed was alright but pillows were travel size. In a Marriott we so expected better. Now we understand from going to the welcome meeting monday morning that Marriott has spun off the timeshare vacation ownership two weeks ago. Went to the pool and it is nice but too small for the resort as everyone was here at the pool and not the beach directly across the beach. Rent your chairs and umbrellas from the resort. its 30 bucks to sit on a chair at the beach...so much cheaper thru resort. Just have to have them back by 7pm. Didn't eat at resort as offerings too expensive and much better selections elsewhere. We found the nathans place in the shopping area to have a great cheap breakfast also. Bagels with cream cheese for 2 bucks. Location will bring us back. The water taxi is such a short walk behind resort. Bus stop out front. We really didn't need a car but wanted to check out other areas around here. I am glad I am not a Marriott owner here as the charge for the points and what you get isn't worth the fees. We have visited other resorts that put this to shame. The quality is far from what we have come to know as Marriott standards. The location can't be beat however. CVS located in the shopping area is open 24/7 for all of your needs. This property could be so so much better. The staff seemed uncaring and it does get tiring of the greeting from each employee over and over again as they must be forced to greet everyone or get terminated type thing. ( Especially when in an elevator that you have been waiting for over 15 minutes to get on....yikes. I know this is good guest relations but the sincerity isn't there for sure.) The other Marriott vacation ownership property is undergoing extensive renovation down the street. This one needs it as well. Is this a diamond in the rough resort? Not sure. Are there nicer resorts to choose from? Oh yes. BUT when using the Marriott name you expect Marriott service and quality especially with their vacation ownership program. It just isn't at this property.

Room Tip: odd numbers face the beach and even face the back which is quiet and overlooking the inter coastal w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crisndeefromde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We booked this place for a one night stay before taking a cruise. I had a free night with Marriott and I chose the Beach Place Towers because of their proximity to the cruise ship terminal in Ft Lauderdale. As usual, the facilities were great. Room was clean, beds were comfortable and the staff and service were top notch and the view from the room was wonderful. The problem we had was we couldn't find the place! You had to enter the parking garage around the back of the building and then drive up 4 floors to park then take an elevator to the lobby! Just getting to the elevators was a hassle because you need a key to access them and we got there after 6 so you needed a key to get in - luckily someone held the door for us. I was so frustrated at trying to find the place and get to the lobby it took a while to settle down. We got there in the early evening but it was dark by then. We decided to go out for dinner and walked up and down the street across from the beach trying to find a place to eat that was inexpensive - no such luck. Add to that the fact that most places had blaring music which is a problem because my husband has a hearing problem and the music really bothers him. The prices for dinners were not high but not inexpensive, either. We ended up ordering a pizza and got some sodas and went back to the room to eat. I feel this place is geared toward families with children or young adults looking for fun and sun on the beach with some heavy nighlife partying thrown in. (Not sure some folks would want to bring their children here either.) This isn't the type of venue I usually associate with Marriott Vacation Club accomodations. It just wouldn't be something that I'd be interested in staying for a week. I'm really glad we stayed here because now I know not to trade my week for a week here because it's not the atmosphere that I would be comfortable in.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have a view - or ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jane_in_va
WV
Reviewed December 4, 2011

It was so great to come back, after visiting in 2009,& this trip couldn't have better! Last time our room was on the intercoastal side,-19th floor- the Christmas Boat event was that week, -view was great! This time we were on the 17th floor, oceanview side, with a spectacular view of everything! --The ocean,-activites at the beach ( there was a marathon held this tiime)--the ships--the view was priceles, not to mention the sound of the ocean. It was a little noisy on the weekend, Sonic Beach opened up, but it quieted down at by bedtime. It is a great location, Great restaurants--The Galleria Mall was awesome, especially their electronic directories to find your way thru the Mall. We had a suite, adequately stocked, all stainless steel appliances, ( I think they were new). The bed was comfortable & clean. The workout room was more than efficient. - The staff were very friendly parking is odd, yes, but nice to have it so close and easy to get to. Elevators were slow , on weekend, no problem later on. This is a great to stay in Fort Lauderdale.!! It just gets better1

Room Tip: Know what events may be going on during your stay! Rent the hotel beach chairs, & beach towels...
1 Thank wvdolphin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Have stayed at Marriott’s Beachplace Towers three times over three years. The place was partially renovated during that time – new carpet, paint, and kitchens in rooms, and new beds. Other aspects, such as bathrooms and some room furniture, are a bit dated. Overall feel of hotel is a bit run down, but still okay. 1 bedroom units are particularly spacious; studios less so, but still fine. Location is great – right in the center of the Fort Lauderdale beaches, and just above the Beachplace shopping and dining complex (which, like parts of the hotel, is rather dated). The CVS in the Beachplace could not be more convenient – open 24 hours, and has all kinds of foodstuffs. As others have mentioned, parking is confusing until you get the hang of it, and elevators can be slow. Pool is basic but clean. On-site “Marketplace” store has been reduced to “Marketplace Express,” and no longer has Pizza Hut or much selection – go to CVS instead. While this hotel is not as nice (or plush) as other Marriott vacation club locations, and is showing its age in some respects, it is still a very solid choice, and its location and convenience make up for many of its deficiencies. The beach is across the street, and you can walk to lots of dining and shopping. Upscale Galleria Mall is a 5-10 minute drive, or take the city bus, which is $1.75 and nice. Publix and Winn Dixie Grocery stores are 5-10 minutes away. A very easy and pleasant vacation destination.

Room Tip: Front side faces ocean, back side faces city and Intercoastal Waterway. Back is quieter and views a...
3 Thank radio71
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I knew from the first that I would not like this place and my overnight stay confirmed that this is not the place for me.

The first impression that made me dislike this place was the elevator. After going to the appropriate place in the parking garage, we had to wait forever for an elevator. When it came it was packed with people. I was hoping that was just an anomaly but it was shades of things to come.

Finally made it to the lobby and waited patiently for the next service rep. There were three of them. There was one guy in front of us being helped and when he was done, rather than call us, the rep walked away to look at something else with another rep. Finally, the third rep was able to help us. My friend is a Marriott silver member so usually check in is very smooth, but this time they asked to see his AAA card to get that rate. He didn't have the card and they didn't want to give him the rate (although he always gets that rate on every Marriott stay and nobody has asked for the card before). They did try to call AAA but couldn't get an answer, so after 10 minutes, they finally just gave us the rate, along with a look like "we shouldn't be doing this for you, but we will". It would have just been easier for them to charge us the extra $15 so we could move on with our lives.

Next we get to the room. The place has not been updated in years but it was clean. The bathroom was dark and the toilet ran on and on. Figured we wouldn't spend much time in the room so no big deal. There was a sign in the bathroom that said "if you're wondering why our water is yellow, it's because of the minerals blah, blah, blah". What's weird is that I stayed at a Marriott Courtyard two blocks away which had clear water, so why does this one have yellow water? Kind of icky.

Hit the fitness center which was very nice and stopped to get a bottle of water on the way at the little store in the lobby. We got a bottle of Fiji and a bottle of Aquafina and the cashier said "that will be $11". We were like "WTH?" and she said the bottle of Fiji was $8. So that's why they didn't have a price on it! Really, $8 for something you'd pay less than half that for at the 7-11? Needless to say, we didn't buy the Fiji.

Then back to the room...which entailed another wait for the elevator. We heard only 3 were working although I only ever saw two of the four actually work. They need at least six elevators. The place was not crowded but the waits for the elevators were so long that there was always a crowd waiting to go up or down. It didn't help that the staff used the same elevators for carts and other large things, so that left even less room for actual guests. Guess they don't have a service elevator either.

On the positive side, the location is very good, across from the beach and near all the action (if you can ever get an elevator to actually take you down)

What’s funny is my friend sent a message outlining the problems with the stay to Marriott and they had someone from the place call him. The guy never apologized for the problems but instead tried to sell him a timeshare! If someone doesn’t like one night in your place, why would they buy more time there. It is hysterical how clueless the people there are.

So, based on the poor service, awful elevators and ridiculous prices for a bottle of water, I'd say don't stay here. Check out my review for the Marriott Courtyard a couple of blocks away, that is a nice place. Go stay there.

Room Tip: For a good room, choose someplace else
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 29, 2011

This Hotel is not the normal he Marriott quality vacation home , parking was tight, and not much to do other than the beach . the beach is somewhat dirty and BUM’s every where I would not bring my family to this hotel again

2 Thank Tim J
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This place is located right across the street from the beach and is surrounded by shops and restaurants. Also is close to the International Swimming Hall of Fame. The curb appeal isn't the best with a small shopping center as it's 1st 3 floors, however, this was somewhat handy as well. The concierage service was excellent as they organized several of our activities and referred us to a good limo service. Wonderful work out room. Even the views on the non-ocean side were spectacular. Pool is very small and simple, but the beach ruled anyway. Overall worth a couple day stay when you are in Ft. Lauderdale.