“RUN ! Pay more money and go somewhere else.”

Lauderdale By The Sea Resort
Ranked #90 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Horrible. I have stayed there before when it was Holiday Inn..seriously run down now. we booked this at a "deal" for @ 80.00 a night for 3 nights.Came in on Friday through Monday with out of state friends. reserved 2 rooms. second room was not ready until after 1 (understandable with 3 pm check in).Then it was still left with a dirty bathroom floor, no spread or blanket for the bed. The other issues are as follows: 1.west elevator to parking lot not working. 2.ice maker on second floor never worked, and between all 5 floors you could get 1/2 bucket of ice if you waited until very late at night or very early in the morning( management claims patrons filling coolers were the issues for all 3 days)3. the "bar" looked nothing like the picture and flooded @ 4" deep when it rained.5 the "DJ" blasted the music until 2 am every night so loud the walls vibrated on every floor.6.had to wait for clean towels until late in the afternoon both days .7. the "restaurant" was only open 7 am til 11 am . limited menu, overpriced and only 1 overworked waitress. 8. pool hours had no restrictions, kids yelling from the pool until early morning hours.9 .peeling paint in the rooms.10. rusted door to outside.11.outside chairs fading and corroding. 12.saw palmetto bugs running on the interior walkways at night. we would have moved but EVERY other place in the vicinity was booked.Seriously pay a little more and stay somewhere else

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I can't really say that I stayed there as my wife and I left after numerous attempts to fix our situation. No questions about the hotel needing a renovation and that could have been sufficient if our room had curtains. After spending over an hour in the morning, we were promised that we would have them in the afternoon. We spent a leisurly day on the water taxi (must do - it was awesome, thanks to Andy) and came back to no curtains (and missing ipod). At this point, there were two new front desk staffers-specifically Matthew. This issue has been going on for over 7 hours. Both were being indignant but Matthew especially. No solution was given. At one point he questioned my English skills, then calling me a drunk. At this point we were leaving (10:00 p.m.). My in-laws were already there but because of physical limitations, could not leave at that hour. We also had other family members arriving the next day to stay at the hotel. Matthew then refused to refund me my money. After the cops were called, he issued the refund but continued to be rude and unprofessional. In the morning, my in-laws told me that at mid-night Matthew called to demand that they show a valid ID, provide credit card information and then proceeded to berate my mother in law about my wife and me for over 15 minutes. My in-laws left in the morning and my other family members did not stay there either. The entire family spent the remainder of the time in Ft. Lauderdale at a fabulous hotel for just a few dollars more. At no point should this type of employee be permitted to represent a business. The Business should review references thoroughly, monitor progress and educate. While a hotel in need of a renovation can be accepted, poor service will not.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AGaldamez
Reviewed June 8, 2010

we booked this place based on the idea we stayed in the area before in some of the smaller motels right on the beach and thought this would be a step up. we called ahead to make sure this was near the other place we stayed and that we would be on the beach, the man told us yes to both things. we arrived late on our wedding night to find we were several blocks down and that the hotel was actually across the street from the beach. pretty disappointing. we were given two double beds on our honeymoon night. also disappointing. we were told we could maybe move to a sister property tomorrow but that it was too late today.

we got up to the room after deciding to make the most of it. it was very late and we were tired. the room appeared old and a bit run down but we figured we'd make do. i went to the sink to brush my teeth and noticed razor stubble and hair all over the sink. the shampoo bottle was open and there were crumbs on the floor near the bed. i stopped looking after that. we were grossed out. we asked to move and after a short wait we were brought the keys to our next room. that room looked run down...we were over it by then.

even though it was very late we decided to leave before even attempting to sleep there. the woman at the desk apologized and offered to not charge our card. this was handled properly. the property is dark and seems a bit run down. people can walk in pretty easy of the streets since it sits on a corner and all corners of the hotel are open and accessible from the lots. it just didn't feel safe this late at night. we arrived around 1AM.

i understand the theory of you get what you pay for but this was not even worth the low rate they offered at time of booking.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2010

After returning from a cruise we wanted to spend a few extra days in Ft. Lauderdale. This hotel looked great on the website. When we drove in and saw the lobby with a broken glass door, dirty worn-out furniture, and a miserable desk clerk, we were told that our room was not "ready" yet. I knew I didn't want to stay here. We walked down a dark dingy concrete corridor and took the elevator up to our room and looked at the old, run-down room with doors hanging off the hinges. It made me sick. Who knows what was living in the mattress. You couldn't pay me enough to stay there. I told the clerk that they misrepresented this dump on the website. He didn't care - said it wasn't his fault. Asked if we wanted to cancel the reservation. We said - "absolutely." No hassle. Reservation cancelled.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
LauderdaleSea, Manager at Lauderdale By The Sea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2010

The Laudedale By The Sea Resort apologizes for your disappointment. We are an older property undergoing renovations to improve your future stays. We would love to have you back once we have completed all transformations. We do appreciate your feedback and would love to accomodate to your needs. So please allow us to provide you with the charm that normally describes our hotel!

Reviewed May 29, 2010

When I found this hotel at such an awesome price, I was excited! It claimed to be right on the beach, looked like an amazing resort, and based on the website, it seemed like a classy place.

I had read a review that said that the hotel used another hotel's pictures on their site, but brushed that off as seemingly ridiculous. But it was absolutely true! The hotel is run down, the clientele is of a generally "shady" nature, and I did not feel safe.

My toilet was running when I got into the room, so I walked over to find rust and dirt in the bottom of the toilet basin, and it wouldn't flush. I had to call maintenance at 9:30pm (as a female traveling alone, this was not ideal) so that I would have a workable toilet. The bathroom door didn't shut, and there was rust all over the floor by the door.

The bed was decently comfortable, but I was nervous to sleep in it based on the condition of my room and the hotel.

All in all, I do not recommend this hotel to ANYONE!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

The Lauderdale By The Sea Resort has a new website being published very soon! Our site represents exactly what is available to all guests. We have two buildings. One of which is located directly on the sand and the other is directly accross the way. Our resort has dual accomodations. We have oceanfront and oceanview accomodations. Unfortunately the oceanfront facilities weren't available during the memorial day weekend. For your future stay we would love to have you stay in one of our oceanfront suites. Thank You.

Reviewed May 18, 2010

The location is great and the swimming pool is clean. Staff very helpful
The hotel is very very tired and the photos do not reflect the true picture. It should not be a 3 star hotel. Worringly, the lift certificates expired Aug 09, we are now in April 10, needless to say didnt use them.
Not sure I'd stay there again

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
LauderdaleSea, Manager at Lauderdale By The Sea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2010

Thank you for your interest in The Lauderdale By The Sea Resort. We deeply appreciate your feedback and reviews. We recently underwent a change of ownership. With a new and improved forefront, The Lauderdale By The Sea Resort will undergo change. These changes will not affect any guests and future stays. Expect improvements! Expect a great stay!

Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed here with adult children in a group of 13 and had a ball. The hotel could use some improvements, but then they would raise prices. They had everything we needed...a bar, a pool, a breakfast restaurant (good food too). Sure there were little bitty things we could have picked at and yeah its not the Ritz, but for less than $60 per night, we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly, the tiki bar was great and the pool was spotless. I will be a repeat customer.

The hotel is not exactly beachfront, but the walk is shorter to the water than some "beachfront' hotels I've stayed at. They were also very accomodative to our late checkout requests. If you are so hung up on getting the Ritz for $60 a night, you probably better stay home, but I think for the value

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lauderdale
Ocean Beach Palace Hotel and Sui...
#49 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Windjammer Resort
#3 of 29 in Lauderdale by the Sea
Central Beach
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Res...
#11 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to Lauderdale By The Sea Resort? Share your experiences!