“Nice experience”

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale North/Cypress Creek
Ranked #48 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed five nights. The service was excellent. The pool and hot tub were very clean and remarkably underused. My wife and I were usually the only ones using them. The price was actually less than other hotels in the area so it was a pleasant surprise to be so pleased with the facilities. The breakfast buffet was excellent and reasonably priced. Being a pilot, we asked for a room overlooking the airport. They were happy to accomadate us and we had a great view of the airport on the fourth floor. The only thing negative we could say---the dressers in the room were very musty. So much so that we coulsn't use them. The room itself didn't smell musty, so I'm not sure why the dressers did but they defineltly did. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 29, 2011

the view from lobby is so nice.
they have a very friendly service and very nice qualified breakfast.
hopefully i would like to have a little more vegetable.

Room Tip: we stayed at the floor which has a swimming pool. Actually next to the swimming pool. it was very...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for three days. Our first time in the area.

Our main issue was what was advertised when we booked the hotel. The description of the hotel said that they provide free shuttle service to and from a three mile radius of the hotel. As we were debating on whether to rent a car or not, we decided not to since the train station (to Miami) and water taxi stop (to Ft. Lauderdale) was within that distance.
However, from the first day, it was clear no one used the shuttle service and so they did not have a driver. Whoever was free would become the driver.

That wouldn't have bothered us if the staff wasn't so awful about it.
- They would have to be called 3-4 times before someone came.
- They wouldn't give us the contact information of the driver (so in one case we sat at opposite entrances to the train station waiting) or give us an ETA.
- It was a minimum of half an hour before someone came (and this was to travel less than a mile).
- They did not know distances near the hotel. One person told us that the train station was outside the 3 mile area (while we were waiting to be picked up). We had to explain to her that we had been dropped there this morning without any hassle.
My advice to them: DO NOT ADVERTISE A SERVICE THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR GUESTS.
It would have made our lives easier.

Another secondary problem we had was the staff's knowledge about the area. I understand that they probably do not get many first time tourists in the area. But as a hotel, you should know transportation and sites to see nearby.
- No one knew the nearest commuter train station. We informed them where it was.
- We were given contradictory information about whether there is a water taxi service to Miami.
- When I gave the name of a hotel near the Ft. Lauderdale water taxi station, the person at the front desk did not know what I was talking about. Only because I didn't refer to the place by its most common name (the name of another hotel near the station).

I expect a little more knowledge about your surroundings, even if you don't work in the hospitality business.

The hotel itself lived up to standards. It was clean, had all the amenities that were necessary for three nights. Although, both my husband and I independently concluded that it wasn't what we thought a Marriott would be. It wasn't lacking in anything, but only had basic amenities.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelerngk
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The event staff went above and beyond for a workshop I was teaching in one of their banquet rooms. I was greeted with quick service and a willingness to relentlessly help me fix a self imposed tech issue (Thanks again, Mohammed). Because of the lengths these guys went for me I, I couldn't give them less than 5 stars.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2011

this hotel really needs a new look. it's old, the carpet smells like mold and the mattress was coming apart. the lobby looks decent enough so i was expecting as much from the rooms, but boy was i disappointed!! the room was cold but when i adjusted the air the odor was unbearable!! my boyfriend put his shirt on the couch and when to pick it up later only for his shirt to feel damp! order room service and was charged $10 each for nothing special. when down stair to ask for a copy of the bill and and few minutes later housekeeping knocked at the door to ask what time we were leaving. we had to call downstairs to tell them that we were not leaving. how irritating! will never stay here again! ever!!!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Stayed 2 nights for work and used the meeting rooms. Decent rooms were clean and had pretty standard furnishings. Wifi was reliable. Meeting rooms were nice, but nothing special. Free parking in attached garage. Very nice hotel for the price up to Marriott standard.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel two different nights. One night before our cruise, and one night after. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Both of our rooms were clean. However, the building is a little run down, and when I filled the bath tub with water, it had an odd yellowish hue. One other thing I did not like is that all of the room doors had about a half inch gap at the bottom above the floor, so everytime one of the staff members came down our hall to clean or to deliver room service, you could hear it plain as day. We got in really late the first night, and I did not appreciate being woken up at 6:00 am to the sound of dishes banging around. I have stayed in several Courtyard's, and felt that this one was a little subpar.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family