“Not what I expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

I travel alot for personal recreation and I read reviews before I stay anywhere. When I come to Fort Lauderdale I usually stay on the beach and always love the hotels there. I was impressed by the reviews for this hotel and was quit confident I would love this property. However I was disappointed in a few things when I arrived.

First thing is that not all rooms have "state of the art technology" After checking in the room and finding an old box tv I asked the front desk if any rooms have flat screens. Found only rooms floor 14 and above have them. I was staying for 3 nights but was told none were available on the higher floors.

Second thing is the rooms are renovated BUT they look like paint was slapped on the walls and new shower curtain hung. The soap dish looked like it was bought at the dollar store. No where near the star rating that this hotel was given. The AC/Heat unit is old school and didn't work well.

Third thing is room service was mediocre. We just had breakfast because the rest of the menu was outrageously priced.

The staff was very courteous and the lobby appeared to be very nice. Parking is convenient, no need for valet. Free wireless is also a plus.

If you are expecting a four star hotel this is NOT it!

• Liked — Parking, free wireless
  • Disliked — TV's outdated
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
York, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2009

Booked through priceline got an amazing rate. Wonderful service, great room, great pool/hot tub. Will absolutely stay again. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Bonus: Free Wi Fi in our room and free self park. The self park is right outside the lobby so it was not only free but convenient.

• Liked — the plush bedding
  • Disliked — Never made it to the hotel restaurant, seemed a bit stuffy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

I am a Marriott Rewards Platinum member so that means that I stay at a lot of hotels during the year. I have to say that I did not expect to be treated to an absolutely fabulous gastronomical event in North Ft. Lauderdale. I go places like Brazil, San Francisco, New Orleans, New York City, or Charleston, SC to eat gourmet food, but I found a great little gem at this hotel.
First, they have totally revamped the menu to reflect this sort of Asian-Cuban/Caribbean Fusion. The entire hotel and restaurant have been renovated to reflect this theme. The meal started with this complementary arepa, a South American corn meal based sort of grilled cheese sandwich with Thai blackberry sauce! Did I mention this was free! I ordered a Tuna Martin for my appetizer and my partner had a thing called a Cheese Temptation. My tuna Martin was actually a large portion of sashimi grade tuna in a wonton shell with a side of ginger, seaweed salad and soy sauce. The cheese temptation was three blocks of different chef selected cheese and fruit on a gigantic plate with an olive and feta cheese salad. Both of these appetizers were so large that we were almost full by the time the sumptuous entrees arrived. I had this Mojto Pork with Coconut Jasmine Rice and some green stuff (some type of salad) that was great. The whole thing was drizzled with mango and avocado chunks and came with plantains. My friend had a typical steak but this was not a typical steak it was huge. It was seasoned so well that we forgot to ask for the steak sauce, they had some type of rub on the steak that was delicious. It had sautéed mushrooms and pearl onions with a side of garlic mashed potatoes. We added some garlic spinach and this just set the whole thing off. It was good we shared each other’s meals because I would have been upset if I had missed either of these offerings! In the end we were so stuffed that we could not have desert, but the watermelon mojito drinks were sweet enough to satisfy all our sweet cravings. The hotel looks great, the food was exceptional and the service was also. I am glad I found this little gourmet experience off the beaten path in Ft. Lauderdale. If I had gone to South Beach or even Ft. Lauderdale Beach this meal would have been over 200$ Our bill with a generous tip was around $145. The room was nice, and so was the concierge lounge (much better than last year), but the food was great.

Only problem, no airport shuttle, they should add this to their long list of amenities (like free internet)and a great restaurant. This last thing is a real problem for a business traveler and since they really seem to have a lot of business travelers they should consider doing a shuttle at say 10-17 per person (like super shuttle) instead of that expensive car service they offer. I ended up renting a car to get around this and I would rather have just paid them to drive me and my colleague to the airport.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Shuttle Service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Cranford, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

The staff was so excited that Marriott is awarding them renovation of the year award. Every part of the hotel seems to be new, and is so bright and modern. The lobby is like a living room, where I felt comfortable.
The staff were cool and the fitness center is huge. I enjoyed my stay there and would go back for sure.

• Liked — The modern new decor
  • Disliked — not a lot of shopping in the area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

I stay here frequently and have no complaints. The rooms are clean the service is good and there are no major issues. Clean rooms, good friendly service, easy parking and reasonable price is all you can expect. It meets the expectations of marriott. ...although breakfast is a rip off.

Stayed March 2008
Buffalo, N.Y.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

Me and my girlfriend went to Florida for a vacation of sorts, and we stayed in a couple of hotels, before our stay at this Marriott. Nice parking right on site, no charge. Elevators from the parking lot will take you right down outside the lobby, if you're parked higher than the first floor. Nice little gift shop in the lobby, but a tad expensive, if you want a drink or something. There were two computers with internet access that was free, which was nice! The lobby is very nice, with a bar down the hall from the check in desk. Staff was very helpful and courteous. The room with the Kingsize bed is very nice. Nice and clean. There is also a small balcony, with a nice view, if you like city life. The pool and workout room is located on the fourth floor. The pool/hot tub are decent size and the workout room is pretty decent as well, size wise. Way better than most hotels. It's pretty close to I95, and about ten to fifteen minutes to the beach. I would definately stay here again if I'm ever in the area! I hope this review helps, and if you have any questions, please fell free to ask. =D

• Liked — The room and the staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing really. Although the gift shop is a bit expensive.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank intension
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

The hotel is not really close to any shopping malls or beaches but the hotel staff was great and accomodations were satisfying and I'm very picky. Rooms were clean, pool and gym looked classy and was opened 24 hours. Wireless internet was free and if you didn't bring your own laptop, they provided computers wtih internet at no charge! The decor was very tasteful througout the hotel. Parking was free and convenient. I stayed in Florida 7 days jumping from 3-4 star hotels, this by far was the best. Something came up and we had to check out later and they let us check out at 3 o'clock at no charge. On our 7th day after we toured almost all of southern FL, our flight was at 5 am and even though we had not been at this hotel for 5 days, they still allowed us in the lobby to use their computer and t.v. to pass the time without having to rent a room. This was the most accomodating hotel experience I've had - and I've had many.

Stayed July 2008
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, September 4, 2008
Thank you all for your candid opinions. We are proud of our all-new hotel, and have just completed the full renovation, and coming soon, our state-of-the-art Concierge Lounge.

THANKS for staying with us!