“Disgusting”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
“Disgusting”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This hotel was part of a pre-cruise package with Princess. The Marriot Hotel was disgusting. Our 1st room had dirty sheets and dirty bathroom. The second room they changed us to also had a dirty bathroom, a bug in the bed, ripped sheets and had not been vacuumed for months possibly. We took the bug in a glass to the service desk. They called the night manager that came up and viewed the room and then gave us our 3rd room after he personally checked it. He sent the bellhop to give us our key to new room and he did not even bring a luggage cart or help us with all of our bags. We started on the 6th floor then the 11th floor finally ending on the 14th floor. The hotel needs renovations and better cleaners. We requested a free breakfast which was given to us by the night manager. While at breakfast which was way over priced we watched the waiters behind a screen scrap food off plates! How disgusting. We took pictures to prove what we witnessed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lynn p
Niel B, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thanks so much for posting a review. The housekeeping issues you experienced are regrettable and for this I apologize. Many positive comments regarding the cleanliness of our rooms are generally received from our guests. Your feedback will be shared with our team to improve operations and retrain.

Please let me know when you are returning, I would like to personally oversee your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed here for a night on Super Bowl Sunday on our way back from Key West. The hotel has a typical Marriott facade with ample of garage space. The lobby is very nice and modern. However, when we went up to our floor, we found the hallway carpets to be old and dirty. The overall feeling in the room looked old and tired. The bathroom was also in need of a serious makeover as you could see grout patch work and just a general sense of an old hotel. As I am a Gold elite member with Marriott, we got access to the Concierge Lounge. The lounge, which was one floor above us, was again okay but matched the age of the hotel. Being a Super Bowl Sunday, they had a nice spread of finger foods and drinks were on the house.

A follow up to the above review is that I wrote a review for Marriott and was contacted by their GM who stated that hotel is slated for a major renovation and invited us to visit again once the renovations are completed. So before I go back to this Marriott, I would make sure that the renovations are complete.

Finally, if you are just going for business and the location is convenient for you, it is not a bad place to stay. Just make sure that your expectations match reality.

Room Tip: Get a weekend rate online from Marriott!
1 Thank Gelatomaniac
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our lobby and concierge lounge. We did just finish some updating which included all new guest elevators.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your room. We do receive many positive comments regarding the cleanliness and size of our rooms and I am so sorry that you did not feel the same. We do hope that you give us another chance after we upgrade towards mid-year. Thank again!
Earlysville, Virginia
Reviewed February 25, 2014

From our initial check in to our check out we could have not asked for more. Extremely polite and knowledgable hotel staff. Immaculately maintained and very clean throughout the entire property and room. Nice concierge lounge that provided a light breakfast and evening snacks. Beautiful golf course views and free adjacent parking. Although we only stayed one night and I do not play golf, I would recommend it to any golfer.

Room Tip: We had an end junior suite on the concierge floor with a fine golf course view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry B
Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting you again soon!
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 22, 2014

While this hotel fits into a nice price point that can be difficult to find in Fort Lauderdale, I believe that its shortcomings do a disservice to the Marriott name. From beginning to end, this hotel lacked in every area based on what I've come to expect from the Marriott brand.

The rooms seemed quite a bit outdated, their wireless internet connection rarely worked well, I had trouble with getting reliable hot water in the shower each day (one day very hot, one day very cold), the shower curtain was broken, the iron wasn't working properly, the overall service was somewhat unprofessional, and their gym facilities were kept very hot and humid. I admit these are nit-picky items, but they do add up.

It's not to say that all was bad. The price point was quite fair and the location, while not near the water, provides decent access to various points of the city. I'm not saying that I wouldn't stay here again, but I'd probably look elsewhere first before settling on this option.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank fiveyard81
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I do apologize for the issues you experienced. I have not heard most of these problems from our other guests but I can assure you that I will share your comments with my team.

Thanks again and we do hope you give us another chance!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Our room was on the 11th floor near the ice machine/elevators. We should have requested to move but did not. The room appeared to be very clean with the exception to some mold growing around the faucet in the bathtub area. The tile is the bathroom is brown and dark so perhaps the housekeeping staff did not notice it. The tub and toilet area could use an exhaust fan as it gets very steamy after a shower. The bed linens were perfectly white with no stains, pillows comfortable. We stayed one week and were very comfortable with the exception of noise from the ice machine/elevators. The pool area was very nice and comfortable. We enjoyed sitting by the pool. The concierge lounge had a fantastic breakfast buffet complete with pastries, cereals, yogurts, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs and oatmeal. The lounge also had appetizers, cocktails (for a fee). Very nice touch. Parking was free if you parked yourself.
Lobby area very nice and upscale feel. We had lunch in the café and service was very nice as well as the food.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevators/ice machine.
1 Thank msdebbes
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy to hear that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable and you enjoyed our rooftop pool. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast in our concierge lounge and also took advantage of our free covered parking.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in our area!
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed at this Marriott Property on Feb 15th for 1 night. We arrived off of our cruise early and left our luggage with the bell hop as there weren't any rooms available. We didn't return until after 9pm. We went up to our room on the 10th floor. It was a dump. Smelt musty, old carpet, dirty bathroom...the worst was the peeling cracked toilet seat which no one in our family would sit on and everyone refused to set foot in the shower.

Normally I would complain right away to the front desk but since we didn't have a working phone in the room, and all of us were exhausted from travelling and the front desk clerk told us when we were checking in the clerk told us the hotel was full. We just kept on our socks and shoes until we got into bed. We had a 8a.m. flight and were leaving at 5:30 a.m. so we were there around 8 hours total and paid over 200 dollars for this.

I wrote to Marriott corporate and complained and the manager wrote back that if we had complained they would have changed the toilet seat etc. My question is how long would that have taken, my guess is we would have lost much more sleep waiting for their maintenance people. The cleaning staff should have had that seat changed long before it was in that state. The manager also said he deposited 5000 Marriott points into my account. I would have rather had a refund...I won't stay at that Marriott property again. If the manager takes pride in his dirty hotel then shame on him for having such low standards!!!!

I have never written a review before on Trip Advisor however the state of this hotel warrants me to.

My recommendation is to shop around and stay away from this place!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank SPY222
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do apologize for the issues that you experienced while staying with us. When you contacted Marriott corporate after your stay, you just notated that your toilet seat was peeling and the room smelled "musty". I did purchase you some bonus points for your inconvenience. You did not mention anything about the cleanliness of your room and you did not report these issue while you were here or we would have gladly switched your room. I personally inspect 50 rooms per week and I rarely ever find cleanliness issues. We also have a contract with an outside carpet cleaning company that deep clean our carpets on a monthly basis. We are one of the few hotels that do this.

I do take pride in our hotel and I would have liked to have the opportunity to address this with you personally. Once again I would like to offer my apologies and I will share your comments with my management team.
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is our second visit as a precruise night. This place has really gone downhill in two years. My biggest thing is cleanliness and it was not, bed skirt filthy and stain covered. Sink was cracked and the whole room was in need of a Reno. For what we paid it was NOT worth it. And now that they have added a Starbucks gone is the free coffee in the lobby. They said they have free coffee in your room. Which is the crummy pot of make your own in your room. Full of cruise folks and they pack them in and out. Never again.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else
2 Thank caylinsgranny2014
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will share your concerns with my entire team. I am happy to announce that we just finished a complete upgrade to all guest elevators and will be renovating the hallway and rooms towards the middle of this year. We do hope you come back to see the positive changes. Thanks once again and we hope to see you soon!