“About As Good As It Gets”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
Ranked #24 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I just returned 2 separate stays at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott North which were sandwiched around a trip to Key West. As has already been stated, the staff at this hotel is the tops. They never seem to be without a smile. Every staff member from the front desk personnel to Paul at the Concierge Lounge to Mookie, who runs that weekend breakfast buffet with aplomb, seems to take a personal pride in their service. I visit this area often for both business and pleasure, and have stayed at many hotels. If you're looking for great value and service, this hotel cannot be beat. It's also in a perfect location, close to the beach, airport, shopping, and many local tourist attractions. Heck, it's even right down the block from the Tri-Rail station! Can't wait for my next visit :).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Benson50
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and kind words regarding Paul and Mookie. They are definately the "best of the best" and I am thrilled to hear how well they took care of you. I am also happy to hear that you found the entire team to be very friendly and always smiling. I honestly believe we have the best team in Ft. Lauderdale and I am so happy that you noticed.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday and we hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,488)

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my family at this hotel before a cruise. The hotel definitely needs to be updated. The rooms were too warm, no matter how much you lowered the thermostat. The restaurant was terrible- the manager of the restaurant was the only one who was remotely helpful. The food wasn't great but the service ruined the meal. The worst part was trying to get a car to the port. We reserved a car two hours prior, per the staff recommendations. As we were walking out, the supervisor gave our car to someone else. As we tried to locate another car, we had different stories from everyone assuring us they did not mess anything up and tried to blame the cabs. No one cared and assured us we wouldn't miss the ship, but the point was we wanted to be there early. Would not recommend this hotel for anyone who cares about hotel appearance, food, and service.

Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Ergoldbe

Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay. I am so sorry that you experienced some issues during your stay with us. I reviewed the hotel logs for the entire month of December and have not seen any of these issues reported. However, I will get with my team and figure out how this happened as this is not how we normally operate.

Thank you once again and I do hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Late check-in with super service from the front desk
Good room and the comfy marriott bed - clean bathroom and good tv set.
Service overall very good with super nice lady at the concierge lounge. Nice breakfast with relaxed atmosphere.
But.. the building needs the up-grade. It is getting too old for the brand name while the service is high. Main concern is the noise result; The sliding doors/windows of the room are not easy to close properly. And if not closed well, the noise of the highway is loud.

Room Tip: Check the room for noise when getting in - and if the windows/doors close good. If not you will have...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you were greeted with "super service" at the front desk and you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. We are in the process of upgrading some areas of the hotel such as our elevators. They should be finished right after the new year.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We just spent 8 delightful days and nights at this magnificent property. I would first like to
comment on the Staff - as they are the "BEST!" The gals and guys at the Front Desk, Mr. Levy,
the Manager, and particularly the lady Celeste that we had the pleasure of dining with each
and every morning in the Concierge Restaurant. All kinds of fresh fruits, yogurts, scrambled
eggs, bacon or sausage and every kind of muffin, bagel, breads etc. that you could ask for.
Then Paul, the evening host at hors d'ourves time is another delightful individual who just cannot
do enough to please. But this is far more than "snack time" where you will find again, all kinds
of fresh fruits, a variety of meatballs with different dressings, a choice of sandwiches to please
any palate, and a wonderful selection of wines and beers for those looking to purchase a
drink with their meal.

If there is anything to complain about I would say, while the rooms are well equipped and
beautifully decorated and the bed "oh, so comfy" they might want to improve the quality of
the Kleenex tissues which must have been purchased at a bargain price because when you
try to pull one from the dispenser they come our in about twenty little bits and pieces. Other
than that, our room at the Concierge level had a huge tall safe in the space that normally
would house a refrigerator. I question just how many valuables one needs to secure for a
safe this size, when just a small one, in the closet would be sufficient because guests
staying as long as we did, really needed a refrigerator to keep snack items that we purchased
cold. Again, this property is just magnificent. True it is not brand new and while I read some
other reviews complaining about the condition of the elevators, they are right now, in the
process of re-doing all of them, so indeed Management is fully aware that it is time to re-do
this area.

Room Tip: Well of course the Concierge level would be our suggestion because not only are the rooms large and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jinglegirl

Wow, thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed every part of your stay. I will make sure I share your kind words with my entire team and we hope to see you again when you are in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Hello,
I am a Marriott fan and have stayed with Marriott many times nationally and internationally so I know the product really well.
The Lobby: Beautiful refurbished lobby and friendly front desk staff (kudos)
The Elevators: Sorry to say this but the elevators are extremely run down with patched ceiling and stainless steel pannel broken (Not Marriott Standard at all).
The Hallways: A bit to the dark side but very clean.
The room: As soon as we stepped into the room it smelled AWESOME! Great choice of scent. It was very clean, vey well housekeeping job! The bed was very comfortable and super clean (as I expected from a Marriott) but the furniture needs updating because it is dated. All works fine no broken furniture but I expect better from a Marriott.The crisp clean smell is what made me give tge room a 4 not a 3.
The pool: Good heated pool and pool deck.
I hope everyone finds this helpful and hope the hotel takes care of the couple of things that seriously need attention like the elevators.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank PeterTravelAdvisor
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and your kind words regarding our property. I am thrilled to hear that you found our property to be "very clean" and that you enjoyed our amenities such as our rooftop heated pool. I do apologize for the condition of the elevators but I am happy to announce that we just started renovating all of our elevators this weekend. One is completely done and we are in the process of completing the others. This scope of work includes all brand new cabs. We are very excited about this and we hope you come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 6 times now, as I have a client nearby. For the money, it is an excellent hotel. I have been especially impressed by the attitude of the staff. Every one I deal with or even pass in the hall has a smile and greeting for me. The room is perfectly fine, with a very nice bed, modern tv, desk with good internet, and a lounge chair. Bathroom is right sized. Breakfast buffet was very good, and a very nice work out room next to the pool.

Not a resort, but very good choice, particularly if you are in Ft. L on biz.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words and I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I do feel that we have the best staff in south Florida and I am thrilled that you found everyone to be so friendly. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed your room and our morning buffet. We do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had such a great experience here!The location was super convenient. My husband was traveling to different dive sites and this location worked out so well. The rooms were nice but the best part about this hotel- the staff. Everyone we met went out or the way to be friendly and helpful. Really felt the positive energy here and hope to go back soon. The lounge had a good breakfast and great snacks. I have to say it again the staff - truly outstanding. A big Thank You to all of you!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am thrilled that you found out hotel to be in a "super convenient location" and that you found our staff to "friendly and helpful". I also see that you enjoyed the food in our BlueFire Grill. I do hope that you stay with us again when you are in our area and once again, thanks so much!