“Multiple Visits in Sept 2012”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
Ranked #22 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 3 times for 3 nights each in Sept. 2012. Typical Marriott hotel. Service was typically excellent and the hotel was always nice and clean. My rooms were always great.

One trip, I entered the room to find there was no mini-fridge. I had stopped at a store and picked up some milk and juice for my stay. I called the front desk and asked them for a fridge to be brought to the room and was told they would be right up. A hour and half passed with 3 additional calls to the front desk until I received the fridge. It doesn't sound like much, but I was tired and wanted to shower and get to bed, but had to wait for this service.

Overall, The hotel is exactly what you'd expect from a Marriott hotel and I would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your continued patronage and your kind words. I am so happy that you found our hotel to be clean and that our service was "excellent". I truly feel that we have the best staff in south Florida and I am glad that you noticed.

I do apologize that it took so long for you to get a fridge in your room. We do offer fridges in a lot of our rooms and you can request it on your next reservation. It shouldn't have taken an hour to get it and I will go over this with my team.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for Fort Lauderdale Marriott North

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I found the service, decor, and amenities at this Marriott to be entirely satisfactory. The lobby area is particularly inviting, with two kinds of iced fruit water available during the day and plenty of places to sit and read or converse. Staff members were consistently polite with a touch of formality that I expect from a hotel at this level.

The downside of this property is the condition of the guest room doors. I suspect that they are thin. I could hear conversations in the hallway (housekeepers and guests) as if they were right in my room. I was in a room with an adjoining room (but not using it as such), and I could hear the other guests' conversation with both doors closed. This made having a private conversation impossible and I found myself going to the lobby or outside to use my phone.

Besides being thin, the doors tend to slam when allowed to close on their own, and this happens at all hours. The slamming sound really carries and penetrates easily.

Mornings were rough, between loud conversations in the hallways and slamming doors with guests and housekeepers going in and out. It sounded like my door was wide open. This might not bother an early riser, but if you're on a work-late sleep-late schedule like I am, this may not be the property for you, at least until there is a solution to the door problem!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so thrilled that you enjoyed our property and the staff was friendly and professional. I am also happy to see that you liked our lobby. Our new "Great Room" won us the prestigious "Marriott Renovation Award" and is very comfortable and inviting.

I am so sorry for the noise issue you experienced. I will share with my housekeeping team so that this does not occur again.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here during the holidays and couldn't be more impressed. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted by the staff and given a nice glass of red wine. Check in was a breeze and the bellman helped us to our room. The hotel was extremely busy and bustling. However, we were treated as though we were the only ones there.

The next day, we had a wonderful breakfast buffet and all the waitresses made us feel so special. There were managers everywhere asking how our stay was. The room was clean and we even walked along the beautiful nature preserve adjacent to the lobby.

I never write reviews but I felt I must tell people how great this hidden gem is. Keep up the good work and we will be back next year!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank JaxFla20
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

I am so happy to see that our staff treated you so well and you enjoyed your room. I truly believe we have the BEST team in south Florida and we can't wait to host you again soon!

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was supposed to be enjoying a free room as reimbursement for terrible service last year. Unfortunately, my experience was exactly the same. Despite being assured that the restaurant was fully operational we waited over 15 minutes for anyone to even notice us. Eventually we walked out exactly the same as last year. I will not accept any free rooms at this hotel - in fact, they could not pay me to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and stay away from the restaurant. Make sure you are well away from the pool unles...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clogtowner
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am so sorry that you had to wait 15 minutes to be seated in our restaurant. This is not the way we normally operate as you can see by our excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, especially the reviews regarding our restaurant. We do hope that you do give us another chance and I do apologize for letting you down.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed here Christmas eve for one night before flying home from a 10 day vacation. It may have benefitted by comparison from our staying at the Ivey Inn in Everglades City (very basic) two nights before, and the Crowne Plaza the first night of our trip, but we found this a very nice hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable, room very pleasant, staff pleasant, there was a little wine and cheese happy hour. There are restaurants and a movie theatre just a block away, though Christmas Eve only two of those restaurants were open and were very crowded. We're happy we returned to the hotel restaurant, which was very reasonably priced and the food was really good. I had a veggie burger and grilled veggies - veggies were perfectly cooked, not oily, with fresh herbs. Husband had a chicken wrap, which was really good. Only issue our room was not well sound proofed: we were around the corner from the very noisy ice and vending machine room (needs a door), and we can hear other rooms' doors slamming shut.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmyPP

I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at our property. I am especially happy to see that you found your bed to be comfortable and that you enjoyed our restaurant..We feel that a hotel restaurant should not just be an amenity and our Chef makes sure that all items are fresh, well prepared and not overly expensive. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for a pre cruise stay for 1 night. We arrived at about 8pm and couldn't really be bothered going to the restaurant for a long day travelling. No menu in room but was soon provided and room service was adequate.
Rooms basic and clean. Beds very small not sure of they were supposed to be 2 large single beds or 2 small double beds. If they are the latter they were definitely too small for two average people and me and partner slept separately for the first time in a long time.

Reception staff great though and they provided us with a bottle of cold water in the morning while waiting for the coach. Didn't see others getting this.

We walked down to the shops nearby in the morning for breakfast to the moonlight diner which was great and reasonably priced.

Would stay again if I had a cheap deal or pre cruise.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Louiangel

I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I am also happy to see that you found our rooms to be clean and that our staff took good care of you. In regards to the beds, we have mostly kings and many doubles. I can assure you that we do not have any rooms with 2-single beds as they are all full size. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Throughout my entire stay at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, I felt staff members go above and beyond their call of duty to meet my expectations. While the hotel isn't located in a prime location, the service is truly top notch. Everything I needed was made available and shuttle rides were available to local areas. Carolina Stone, Michael, Tony and all additional members of the staff made me feel as if I were at home. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Smoked salmon, omelets, and delicious strawberries made it to my plate each morning. If you are looking for a service-oriented hotel, then try this one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank josi87

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and your breakfast experience. I truly believe we have the BEST team in south Florida and I am happy to see that Carolina, Michael & Tony took such good care of you. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed our wonderful buffet. The smoked salmon is a big hit with our guests..Hope to see you again soon!