“Seems to be improving” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Seems to be improving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Having stayed often over the years, I saw this property go from cutting edge to neglected and shoddy. Now it slowly seems to be getting better, the elevators are still an issue and the halls always seem to be a bit shabby and not quite clean. The rooms however seem to be better cleaned and there seems to be new beds although they apparently are using the old sheets which don't fit so well on the thick new mattresses.
The food has always been one of their stars, I remember way back when they opening and had Prime ribs specials. The club lounge is good, Luce the morning staff member is welcoming and pleasant, always offering to help and find something you need! She is a star.
Although I'm platinum with Marriott, I can't say I get any special treatment or upgrades.
The best rooms are with balcony's, facing the pool.

Room Tip: Balcony, on higher floors!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy that Luz and the rest of the staff took good care of you..We strive to be the BEST in south Florida and I am happy to see that you continue to stay with us. I am also happy to announce that we will be renovating all of our elevators in the first quarter of 2013. This should make our hotel perfect in every way.....Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We love coming back here with the friendly atmosphere, from the front desk, to housekeeping to Ms. Mookie Seat in the dining room. Mookie always greats us with a smile and warm welcome. she not only shows concern over our food service, but also checks to make sure that our room is comfortable. The location is very convenient, being close to the expressway and turnpike.
Thanks Marriott for your great homes away from home.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our property. Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our Front Desk, Housekeeping and Restaurant staff. Also, I would like to thank you for your nice comments regarding Mookie. We are very lucky to have her and I will share your comments. See you again soon!
Winter Garden, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The staff and hotel was perfect. I was traveling on business and not sure where to stay. The gentleman at the front desk had a great sense of humor and he made sure I had a great room. I stayed two nights and had breakfast at the hotel both mornings. I normally don't eat breakfast at the hotel but the service on day one was excellent so I made sure I went back on day two. Melania the waitress in the restaurant is a wonderful person. She is a great asset to the hotel. I will be back and of course go to the restaurant to see Melania. Thank you for a great experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy to see that our staff took great care of you and you enjoyed your breakfast. Yes, Melania is an asset to our property and I will share your comments with her and the rest of the team. See you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We were booked for a cruise and needed a hotel for two nights before and one night after (3 rooms). When we first arrived, the lobby looked well maintained and inline with other Marriot hotels we frequent. That is where the similarities stopped - from the overpowering musky smell, to having to convince the staff to remove the duck feathers from one of the rooms due to a serious allergy, to bugs in the coffee machine, bathtubs not draining (and one room with yellow water), thing after thing was wrong with one or multiple of the rooms. The staff tried to help, but did not have the urgency that we were looking for (especially when travelling with a baby and needing clean water). On check out the staff was brisk and confrontational. I can honestly say that I have never had this type of experience at a Marriot and I would think twice about booking my next stay at a Marriot. Daniel tried to help and was the only one to truly put the customer experience first (especially in regards to the down allergy).

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a renovated room and check for musky smells (can be overpowering)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jodi R
To our valued guests..This was a guest that had 3 rooms and received an "industry" rate. She had a problem with her room one night and demanded that she should should get all 3 rooms for free for both nights. This was totally unwarranted, but as a goodwill gesture, we did give her a very good discount. When she came back a few nights later after her cruise, she stated that she found a bug in her coffee maker. We immediately went to her room to find nothing. However, we did issue her a brand new coffee maker. Once again, she demanded that she should get all 3 rooms for free. We did not offer any compensation this time. I do not know if she herself is in the industry and knows how to get free rooms or if she goes around the country scamming hotels. I can assure you that we have excellent quality water, great service and we do not have insects in our rooms. Thank you and we hope you continue to look at our great reviews on Tripadvisor.
Frankfort, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Hotel was great. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The glass of wine upon arrival was a nice touch. The room was very nice and extremely comfortable. It had a nice pool area. My husband loved the hot tub It was in a quiet location but still close enough to go to Pompano Beach and Gulfsttream racetack. Had a great time and would return again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your nice review. I am so happy to see that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your room and our rooftop pool. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed our little touch of offering a welcome glass of wine. We hope to see you again soon!
Sunrise, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We utilize this property for our business groups that come in for a monthly training in Fort Lauderdale. The hotel is always able to accomodate our requests and needs, and we get GREAT feedback from our attendees staying at the property. The breakfast is always well liked by our guests, as well as the accomodations and overall appearance of the property.

Overall, we really enjoy partnering with this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrea G
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy to see that we took care of your group while they were here and that you enjoyed our breakfast. See you again soon!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My partner and I were forced to seek a hotel near our home due to a sudden environmental issue, and stayed at the Marriott, about a mile away, for two nights. The price was certainly right--$50 per night, plus taxes, through Priceline--and given that the average corporate hotel room in the area usually goes for more than twice that, I was prepared to forgive small defects. Since the Marriott is recognized as a "business hotel," and usually commands a premium price, I suspect that others may not be as generous.

We stayed in Room 1104, which had a single king bed. I've heard rumors for years that many hotels tend to shunt Priceline customers into the worst rooms in the house (which I've never experienced personally, despite being a frequent Priceline user), and the stay at the Marriott led me to believe that at least some of the rumors were true. The room itself was somewhat worn, and a bit dusty, although the bed was reasonably comfortable. The bathroom area was much less satisfactory--the entire space REEKED of mildew, and since the stench was so pervasive, I suspect that it might have been in the ceiling or ventilation ducts. Apparently an attempt had been made to secure the shower head to the wall with a strip of silicone caulk, which had failed, leaving the caulk dangling off the shower pipe. The toilet paper holder was literally hanging off the wall, held up by a strip of wallpaper. All of these are maintenance items that were too obvious not to be addressed, which led to my suspicion that perhaps the room was held aside for specific uses.

In their defense, we did not give them the opportunity to correct the problem--we were exhausted by having to evacuate our home on short notice, and, for various reasons, we were in no mood to complain. The staff was also unfailingly friendly, and I suspect they would have appropriately addressed our concerns. The maintenance lapses, however, were simply unacceptable, notice or no notice, and while I would have expected such lack of attention to detail at a "budget" chain, the Marriott name is supposed to signify a much greater quality of accommodation. There is no excuse for placing any guest, regardless of how much was charged, in a room with such fundamental maintenance issues.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JasonFTL
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I am so sorry that you did experience these maintenance issues. I have sent our team to look into the problems and address all issues. We hope that you do give us another chance. Thanks again!