“Aging hotel, outstanding staff”

Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale
Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Delray Beach, FL
“Aging hotel, outstanding staff”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This Sheraton is certainly showing her years. Some of the rooms lack items of furniture and the infrastructure was showing strain. Occasionally, elevators went by floors without stopping, and later in my stay, the rear bank had a sign asking hotel guest to go around to the front. At supper, the computer system went down, requiring the wait staff to take billing information on slips of paper. The toilet blocked twice, and the atrium leaked.

HOWEVER, the staff was outstanding. Despite technical chaos, they managed to go about their work both diligently and with an upbeat attitude that made dealing with them a pleasure. I understand the hotel is planning a major renovation, but I hope they recognize what a gem they have in this group of dedicated professionals and make an effort to keep them throughout the physical remodeling.

Room Tip: My initial room was 215. This put me right over the first-floor function rooms on a night when a pa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online, and how you enjoyed the service our staff provided you with. It means a lot to me and the staff that you took the time to let us know of your pleasant stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Lakewood, Colorado, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I had read so many negative reviews, I was preparing myself for a very negative experience as far as the venue was concerned for a recent conference I attended. It turned out to be a pleasant experience for the most part with a few drawbacks.

First off we arrived really early on a Thursday morning after taking a red eye flight, and no sleep. We arrived at the hotel at 5:30 in the morning and I was worried they would make us wait for hours before giving us our room, as has happened to me before at other hotels. NOPE, no waiting got us checked right in and we were able to get a good amount of sleep before the conference started, I was so grateful for this. The beds were extremely comfortable.

I found the surroundings to be dated, but beautiful, it reminded me of a time gone by, like old hollywood, I enjoyed it. I found our room to be clean. We did have a plumbing issue in which our toilet backed up and soaked the floor that was gross, but the staff promptly took action to correct.

The food was adequate most of the time, hotel food is never outstanding in my book. However the one big negative for me was at the breakfast buffett, I grabbed a cheese danish, to find the top of it covered in a fuzzy mold. That really eeked me out and the rest of my dining there resulted in very careful examination of the food, and praying I wouldnt get sick.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with the Sheraton Suites. I am glad to hear you found our staff and beds comfortable and apologize for the inconveniences with the breakfast buffet. I have scheduled a meeting with the Food and Beverage director to further discuss your comments.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently during a 3 night weekend stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Check in was fine and the room we stayed in was fine. No, its not a W Hotel but for the money you are getting a lot of value given how much space each room has. The pool was good size and clean as was the hot tub.

I only found a few negatives. The hotel is located near a major street, railroad crossing and private airport so you can expect some noise from those sources. Other than the diner next door there isn't much in the way of walkable food destinations.

Now my rave - upon departure my wife discovered she had left her Tiffany bracelet and necklace on the bathroom counter. We were already on board our return flight when we discovered this. Once we arrived home the staff at this property went looking for it and I assumed it was gone forever. My faith in humanity was restored when they reported they had found the jewelry and would be putting it in the mail to us ASAP. Absolute kudos to the staff of this property for this deed as I think it speaks volumes.

Overall, really a bang for the buck to stay here. About 10 minutes from awesome beaches and the price was right. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the west as it may have a little less train and airplane noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay with us, and apologize because you did not find our location as serene as you would have desired however i am glad to hear you found our staff exceptiona. We would love to have you visit us again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel was filthy. There were dirty socks in my room upon check-in. There were different women going into the room next to mine each day, and using a key hidden under a fire extinguisher to gain access to the room. The room was never cleaned sufficiently. The pool was not heated, it was FREEZING. The pool and hot tub were also dirty. A train passed by on a regular basis making it impossible to sleep. The TVs in the room had problems with some of the channels and we had to request repair service. We had an ironing board, but no iron. There were hairs in the bathtub. One plus, the front desk staff was very polite and friendly.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. If you have to, request a room higher up.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay with us, we apologize for the inconveniences you have encountered, and I regret that you were not satisfied with our facility. We take these remarks very seriously and we are presently examining and working on these issues to make them better.

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very dirty should have left and went somewhere else, very poor excuse for a hotel felt like I was on the back streets of Jersey.......from the carpet to the furniture,shower or I mean a 1960 bath tub, no sheets on bed, stains on tables, dirty shower curtain,etc.....

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Craig528
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your comment, I deeply regret the conditions you found your room in, I have since than scheduled a meeting with our housekeeping Manager and have corrected these issues. We will also be undergoing refurbishment of our property and our suites will be updated to a more modern look.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The staff is amazingly friendly & helpfull. The elevators are rediculously slow as are the few ice machines that are running. The buffet is grossly overpriced.... But the rooms. Wow. So spacious w/a minifridge, a microwave and a seperate "day room" to hang out in apart from your hotel bed space! The atrium is pretty, but the walls & floors to the rooms are a bit thin... *shrug* For me though, the friendliness of the staff out wieghs the minor inconvieneces.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IsabellaDawna
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at Sheraton Suites, we are glad to hear you found our beds comfortable, our staff friendly and property sites such as the atrium enjoyable, we are currently reviewing the pricing on our menu and will soon have updated menu and prices. It means a lot to me and the staff that you took the time to let us know of your pleasant stay.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2013

What a shame! Such a beautiful property and nobody there seems to care about it. The lobby is a bit dated but still very nice. Great sitting area with turtles, fish and the sound of water. My room: lets see, clogged bath which makes for a disgusting shower experience, dirty and i mean dirty carpet, hair in the sink, dust everywhere, rings all over the table (never cleaned), my balcony had a cup of old coffee, a beer bottle and cig butts, burned out night lamp, ants, coffee cups upside down on the dirty table (yeah like that means it's clean) and I am sure I missed something. None of these pictures were staged. The only one I interfered with was using my finger to write a "c" on the blow dryer

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your unfortunate experience with the Sheraton Suites. I am sorry to hear about your inconveniences, and I regret that you were not satisfied with the performance our staff and facilities provided you with. I have scheduled a meeting with the Maintenance manager and our house keeping department to further discuss your comments.