“Not the place to stay”

Villas by the Sea
Ranked #86 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
LINCOLN NE 68510
Reviewed November 12, 2003

The resort is nothing like advertised. No tropical garden, jacuzzi or beach bar. The rooms are very small not at all worth the price. The staff is not friendly, the concierge didn't work on the weekend and gave us wrong directions. I had to wash everything when I returned home because it all smelled like mold. Don't waste your money on this dump.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Rock Hill, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2003

We checked in and immediately checked out. The simpliest way to discribe this resort is disgusting. I was embarassed to have brought my steps sons to such a place. Thankfully we were able to find a room next door at High Noon. Not only was it a outstanding room but it was the same price as the shack next door. What a wonderful place and we plan to go again next year. Villas by the Sea should be condemned.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2003

We have just returned from a trip to Florida and this was without doubt, the worst accomodation we stayed in. In fact I am sure it is the worst accomodation we have ever stayed in.

First impressions of the 'resort' (I use the term very loosely) were that it needed a complete renovation and a fresh coat of paint. Our room was not clean and there were ants crawling all over the kitchen.
The kitchen cupboards and the cooker were also dirty with dirt, food crumbs etc. all over them. Later on we found dead cockroaches in the bedroom.

My wife and I planned to use the sofa bed while our kids slept in the two main beds, but when we got the sofa bed out it was unusable. The mattress had no stuffing and all the springs were coming through. They hadn't even given us bedding for it. I went to the reception and the maintenance man indicated that he wasn't surprised about this. He offerred to get another mattress from another room, but that one was just as bad. We ended up sleeping in one bed while the kids slept together in the other.

The aircons in the room were appalling. They were the really old style ones that are placed in a hole in the wall (and don't fit) and were falling apart with rust. They were so noisy it was hard to sleep and they looked liked they hadn't been serviced in many years.

The outside of the accomodation needed a lot of work to get it upto an acceptable standard. The pools were often dirty and the filters didn't seem to clean them at all. The pool steps were broken and dangerous but no attempt was made to fix them. The steps down to the beach were also broken and dangerous and you had to be very careful. When I chatted with the maintenance man about the state of the place, his excuse was that it "was built in 1938". It then occured to me that perhaps that was the last time it had been painted or worked on.

All in all this was appalling accomodation and how it ever gets the ratings it gets I do not know? Personally I would not even give it one star. I chated to several other guests who were staying there and they all had the same oppinion as me. One said to me " It isn't quite the way it apears on the internet sites, is it!."

All I can say is do yourselves a big favour and give this place a wide berth.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canal Fulton,Ohio
Reviewed August 18, 2003

Villas by the sea needs work our room was a little run down. one of the window AC units did not work and the toilet backed up 3 times during our stay--also 1 window would not close completely. as far as service i feel that it was about average. despite these problems we had a good time. --i must say that the next time I visit Lauderdale by the Sea my family and i will not stay there.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2003

Those that give this roach motel a good rating must not get out much! We prepaid 8 nights for this dump through Hotels and were promised to be in an oceanfront resort. Truth was our room was across the street from the beach, and was anything but a resort. The management did very little to make us happy or comfortable, they said they would charge us $10 a night extra (instead of the standard $20 a night) to be in a building on the same side of the street. In actuality we realized the following day that they went ahead and charged the full amount for the entire stay (an extra $160). Thank goodness for online banking. We only stayed there overnight, my family did not feel safe there, and it was beyond dirty (bugs crawling up the walls, undesirable people hanging around the pool blastin loud music until all hours of the night. We went down the street and got a beautiful suite at the Best Western Pelican Beach Resort (I plan to post a positive review for them next) for the same price. We were diretly on the ocean, clean, spacious rooms, and a friendly staff. The worst part was we had to wait a week for the refund from Hotels. The best thing that Villas by the Sea can do is tear down those rotten old buildings and start over!

7  Thank sdrohm
McCook, NE
Reviewed July 1, 2003

We stayed at Villas by The Sea. The first thing we found out is there are alot of Villas By The Sea it depends on which one you are staying.
We stayed at Villas by the Sea, Sea Queen. Which was right on the beach also we had a view of the ocean from our balcony. Which was wonderful.
The room was clean and we had daily housekeeping. We also brought our 17 year old daughter with us and they gave us a rollaway and extra towels and didn't charge anything. The room was kinda small. But we didn't stay in the room alot. The place does have some wear and tear on it but we have stayed in worse. Over all we were pleased with it and the service we got. We had a marvelous time and would go back again.
The other thing is either rent a car or plan on spending 30.00 on cab fee. To get to the hotel from the airport, that was our biggest expense to and from the airport. Also it isn't real close to alot of attractions. But you can take a bus to most of them. People were very friendly and helpful.

Waco, Texas
Reviewed April 30, 2003

Terrible! Did not feel safe! Door jam had been kicked in at one time...Toilett was nasty...Lots of mold, walls cracked, furniture was glued together in places where once broken...We checked in, then we checked right back out and went to a Hilton for the same price!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
#17 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale
#43 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor ...
#18 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Central Beach
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Res...
#13 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to Villas by the Sea? Share your experiences!