“Great find, will be back again!”

and 1 more site!
The Worthington Guest House
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My bf and I are in our mid 20's and we were looking to get away and stay at an affordable but nice hotel. We stayed at another boutique hotel previously and it did not compare to the Worthington. The staff was very nice and friendly. The front desk was very helpful. The rooms are clean, the bathrooms are new, the bed was very comfortable. The grounds were nice, the pool and hot tub were great, especially coming home after a night out and being able to go swimming. The clothing optional part is a nice option especially during those night time swims and was definitely not used in bad taste by any of the guests. We met single people and other couples and everyone got along great and everyone was friendly. If you want some more privacy the other pool is not as crowded. The gay beach is about a 5 minute walk. I even left something behind at the hotel, and the front desk was nice enough to package it and mail it to me. My bf and I plan on going back to visit this summer. You should too!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grav67

Reviewed April 7, 2010

Contrary to many reviewers, I don’t go to places such as the Alcazar, the Cabanas or the Coral Reef to be pampered by the staff and called by my name. What I am looking for is a nice secluded place, with a pleasant pool, a minimum of comfort in the room and a little “congeniality” among guests. So, with this in mind, I tried booking a room at the Worthington, but was told that only the “sister hotel”, the Alcazar, had free rooms. Actually, it’s the same hotel, within the same compound, just another building. As all these former retiree hotels in Fort Lauderdale that have been converted into kind of boutique hotels for an either straight or gay clientele, the Worthington/Alcazar is rather small and feels quite cramped, which is probably due in part to its lush tropical vegetation, so it’s not that bad I guess. On the other hand, I thought the room was pretty bare and clinical for $ 165 tax included (one night charged at booking time, OK, but the two other nights charged upon arrival, a practice that is as unpleasant as it is useless). As for the “congeniality”, it ain’t no Palm Springs. I had been in a similar hotel in Fort Lauderdale before, the Cabanas, which was also relatively quiet (even though… ), but with a lovely riverside location and a very comfy room. All in all better value for money than the Worthington/Alcazar.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank RendezVousParis
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We have been coming to the Worthington/Alcazar faithfully for nearly 6 years (with only one foray to the Elysium, which we have learned our lesson about). We enjoy it every single time and have only the highest praise for the owners, staff, and hotel itself. We highly recommend staying at the Worthington if you enjoy staying a great, clean, well-maintained place near the beach to relax. For those who would like more variety at breakfast, you may consider stopping by the Publix on the way from the airport to pick up add'l goods to supplement the continental breakfast at the hotel (since each room has refrigerators) . We usually grab fruit, smoked salmon, etc, to jazz up our brekkies. We love the staff, and the owners have found a good balance of being engaged at hotel without being overbearing. The "fun and frisky" aspect is nice since you can hang out with your significant other without any concerns. Generally, the clientele is pretty cool and amicable, and most of the time people are perfectly content to hang around the pool. The Saturday happy hour is always a nice touch, and helps to break the ice.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JandJDC
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I have been coming to Fort Lauderdale for at least 10 years (probably longer). Most of my trips I have stayed at either the Worthington or Alcazar. One time I made the mistake of trying something closer to the bars... big mistake. The place close to the bars was nice BUT I realized that the most fun I had was always at the Worthington/Alcazar. I don't know how they do it but the customers they attract are always fun. The place is really close to the ocean (3 or 4 blocks) but I usually end up staying at the pool. Nights we go to the bars (George's Alibi is my all-time favorite bar anywhere and I live outside of SF which has great bars and travel to New York (love the Eagle) and New Orleans (Ramrod and Good Friends are my favs there) so that’s saying something. The bars are about a 15 minute drive and so rent a car or take a taxi or make a friend at the hotel with a car. Also make sure you go to Rosie’s. Great restaurant and bar and have live outdoor music often.
We usually get back by midnight and enjoy time in the hot tub. There are always people there.
The owners are GREAT as are the workers (many whom I have come to know since the turnover seems to be very low. The owners must be great bosses too). They go out of their way to make the stay wonderful. The rooms are quiet and you get great night’s sleep.
If you go to Fort Lauderdale and don't stay here, your trip will be missing something! I'll be back mid-April 2010. CAN'T WAIT.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2010

This was our third trip to Ft Lauderdale and we chose the Worthington because we had friends that were coming down as well and were staying here. Check-in was perfect and hospitable (Dean gave us a very warm welcome). We were pleasently suprised by our room. It was a Jr Suite. It had gleaming wood floors, a very comfortable king sized bed, an ample kitchen with full sized fridge, and an updated bathroom that had a large tiled shower rather than a tub (awesome).
The pools and hot tub areas were clean and well maintained. The stsff was very friendly. Breakfast choices were good but redundant. Their coffee would be my only complaint, I personally did not care for it.
We met many many nice men here from all over. We just got back today from our trip and we are already talking about a return trip to this location.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
jdurhanFt_Lauderdale, owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2010

Thank you for your kind words, it really means a lot to me that our guests enjoy there stay with us. As for the coffee, I get many compliments actually, I'll look into that. I am a huge coffee fan and buy the best, maybe someone wasn't making it right. Thanks again.
JIM

Reviewed February 1, 2010

My partner and I stayed for two nights and had a great time. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The resort itself has a very lush Key West type feel and the pool and hot tub were great. The hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. We would highly recommend this place for other travelers.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2010

This is the only place I go back to again and again. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. The other guests are easy-going and relaxed. And a good mix. Two great pools. I would like to pick up the comment of a previous reviewer, they could mix up the breakfast a bit...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business