“Just what I needed”

The Worthington Guest House
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just what I needed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at this resort a couple of years ago, when it included Alcazar but not yet Villa Venice. The combination of the 3 provides a really nice variety of spots to hang out and enjoy the 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. Lots of gay men from all over the world, and it's a pretty friendly atmosphere if you are travelling alone. The rooms have all been recently redone and are clean and nice. The breakfast is nothing to write home about, but there are places to go get something on your own nearby. Just a few minutes walk to the beach. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Toby02118

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Salem, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

we stayed at the Worthington for 2 night before leaving on a cruise... had a great time there, room was clean,Bed comfortable, hot tub the perfect temperature!!! staff and owners were very friendly! We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have been staying at this resort off and on for 5 years It is with great sadness that I have to write a review to identify the disrespect put upon me by the owner ( who is not half as friendly as he use to be), and the lack of concern that my room had cockroaches ( not palmetto bugs), but German Cock Roaches.
When I checked into my room I noticed the lamps had not been dusted in quite sometime and the walls were all marked up, but I over looked that. Then when I went to shower, the bathmat had stains on it, that were dark and did not come out through the wash. When I came out of the shower, the towel had red stains on it as well. I could tell the towels were washed, but not sure what the red was. In fairness I did not report this to the desk, but did report it to the very kind man cleaning my room. He apologized and brought me new towels and mats..3 Days later the same thing happened again with the towels. All was well for a few days, then one afternoon upon waking from a nap, I turned the room light on, and went over to my refrigerator, and saw two 1/4 inch german cockroaches on the small fridge. I was shocked and grossed out at the same time. I went down to the front desk, and said you are not going to believe this, but I just saw 2 roaches in my room. The employee laughed!! I said " not funny, they gross me out, and I have a phobia over these things" I asked if he could bring up bug spray, he said let me check it out first. I said ok, we walked to the room, he said " well I don't see anything. I said, well I did, so can you please spray , he said yes, I will be right back. I waited 20-25 minutes and no show. I go back to the front desk, and said to the clerk, where is the fellow that was hear before, he said Oh, he went home. I said WHAT? I have been waiting in my room for 20 minutes to come up with bug spray. I saw 2 roaches. He said, oh is that why this gallon of spray is on the desk. I said well can you please come up, my room needs to be sprayed, he said sure, let me find the pump and ill be up. I said I will wait for you. So we finally go up and he sprays. Then he sees the roach walking slowly up the wall, and says oh there it is, I said kill it, he said it will die on its own, it is moving slow. I said, please kill it. He said I cant it is now behind the mirror, I said move the mirror, he said I cant it is bolted to the wall and I cant get behind there. I said try my sandal it will fit in the space he took my sandal and killed the roach, and showed it to me dead. I then go back in the room and there were 3 baby roaches on the dresser , I killed them. The following morning I tell the owner, and he said OK ill check it out, he had no interest at all. I was working from there so never left during the day, and nobody ever came to check it out. Then two days later, I wake up from a nap, turn the light on and there again, babies roaches on the dresser, and a brown german roach as well. Now I am really grossed out, go to the desk tell them what happened, they call the owner and the owner says, tell him to leave and we will refund his money for the night. This was at roughly 7:00.PM I asked if the clerk could help me, the clerk said no he hates those things too. I went out to find other accommodations nearby came back packed the clerk watching me shake out my clothes and finally offers me a hand. He said, " Jim( the owner) said make sure I get your key, so I give him my key and go my merry way at approx. 10PM on a Friday night. I couple people I had met asked me where I was going I explained, and they started to share stories of their own, that I will not quote. I leave, call Jim the owner on Sat and no return call, Call Jim on Monday, no return call. Call Jim on Tuesday explain to Dennis that Jim is not returning my calls. And Denis says "Jim says he is not refunding your night stay because you did not leave quick enough, he could of rented the room if you had left earlier. I said funny, Jim was too afraid to tell me that himself??? I said without cleaning it????? There was no staff to clean a room. So as of this date, there is no credit, and I am so disappointed that this is the way they treated a loyal customer, and had no regard to cockroaches. As many said, they must have a big problem with them. Sad. sorry Jim to have to write this, but you should have a little bit of empathy, and be a man of your word and refund my nights stay, like you said you would do.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
14 Thank dotfunguy
Jim D, Owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Without getting into the numerous problems we have had through the years with this guest, I will just say we finally had enough. Guest was with us for 5 of 6 nights when he went on his rampage, in the morning when he came down and spoke loudly so as to make a point in front of other guests, I sent head of housekeeping to the room. He went through every inch of that room, dresser drawers out, dresser moved clost, frigerator, changed all linens, looked under vanity, literally evrywhere we could. We could not find a thing, we also sprayed. That night he started in on the night guy again that we hadn't done a thing and called me a liar. I instrucked the night person at 6:37 pm to have the guest check out, we had a guest that wanted the room, and naturally it would have been cleaned before we rented it, we are quite capable of turning a room. The guest said if you want to pack my stuff go head, thats not our job as I'm sure his review would have been more lengthy and filled more untruths. Yes if he would have checked out when we asked him to, I would have refunded his nights stay gladly. When he did turn the keys in at 10:34 at night we could no longer sell the room. Read through our reviews, you will see that this is a vengeful review not an accurate review. We informed him he was no longer welcome at our resort. FYI we didn't have any complaints before he checked in nor after with the next guest. Our resort is spotless. We have Truly Nolen here to treat rooms and grounds twice a month. This review is far from the truth in every aspect.
Methuen, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

The owners and staff work diligently to keep this resort looking picture-perfect. The fact that many on their staff are there year after year is a testament to their work ethic. Staff is friendly and welcoming. Always meet nice people who make our stay that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was our first time staying here and we ended up staying at both the alcazar and the worthington because it was such a busy time. The staff offered to move all of our stuff for us, once we had checked out they were very gracious and found a spot to keep our many bags so that we could take a family member to the airport with our small rental car. Friendly and helpful. Could not have asked for a better experience.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank davetheenforcer
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have been going for a few years now. Consistent and comfortable. Staff quite accomodating and very friendly. Met some great friends here. Will be back in May and for our annual February week in the sun. The Saturday happy hour event is always interesting. Any concerns are addressed quickly and pleasantly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

With three properties in one, the Worthington is a good sized resort to meet lots of nice people. You are able to go to the pools and hot tubs in each of the three buildings. The guests are very friendly. Sitting in the hot tubs is a great way to meet people. Atmosphere was friendly with some sexual vibes but not sleazy and uncomfortable. The front desk staff is very nice and accommodating. Rooms are simple, nothing fancy but everything works. The Saturday happy hour is a great way to meet the other guests as well. The stay was definitely relaxing and I met some real nice people.

Room Tip: Good idea to view the layout of the rooms to where the pools and hot tubs are when booking. If poss...