“Great time at the Worthington”

The Worthington Guest House
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I had a terrific time at this hotel. We were lucky I suppose to have a great group of guests at the hotel when we went. I met alot of fun guys and generally everyone was friendly. There is a happy hour on Friday and Saturday which helps in meeting the other guests. The staff was courteous and helpful. My room was large with a king size bed and the bathroom was nicely renovated. The room had a small refrigerator. The pool is a nice size, although the edge is pretty narrow. There was enough chaise lounges around the pool. There is plenty of palm trees and other greenery, which makes for an attrative tropical atmosphere. The breakfast was mediocre, with wrapped danish and muffins, but I understand that is case with all resorts due to City law (Note: for a cheap but good breakfast check out "The Deck" on the water a few blocks North). It is not a bathhouse atmosphere; there is no steam room, sauna, or video room. Guys certainly do hook up later around the pool and the jacuzzi, but from what I can see, people are discreet.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 9, 2008

This is a very nice gay guest house. I disagree with most of the negative reviews and agree with the positive ones. The rooms are clean and up to date, if not luxurious (but who goes to a guest house to stay in the room anyway?). The pool and hot tub area were quite nice, and the landscaping and plantings were absolutely gorgeous! Whoever did that work was first rate. As for the other guests, some had a touch of attitude, but there were plenty who were laid back and quite friendly. Good mix of clothed and "clothing optional" folks -- no one would feel uncomfortable either way. The atmosphere has been described as "frisky" by others, but I only found this to be occasionally so late at night in the hot tub. If you're looking for that, you'll be there. If you're not interested you'll be having a civilized dinner elsewhere and perhaps some entertainment in a local drinking establishment. To each his own. I would have to agree with those who say the breakfast could be a bit more imaginative, even given applicable legal restrictions, but that's a small point. There are several complaints on here of rude staff, but I experienced none of that. All staff were quite nice and helpful. One of their competitors (off the beach) told me that the Worthington is the only gay guest house in Fort Lauderdale that is consistently busy. That's because they get the important things right. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank bobbioVa
Reviewed April 2, 2008

We stayed at the Worthington and paid $185.00 + per night. The hotel rooms are very tired. The staff appears to have forgotten that they are in the hospitality business and that their goal is to focus on the guests. I find in most gay business that the owners and staff forgot who is supposed to serve who and this place is no exception.

Positives are the pool and housekeeping staff. Everything else was a total negative to me when paying near $200.00 per night for basically a gay run down motel.

Stay at the Hilton which is about 1 block in front of the Worthington for $249.00 per night. Worth the extra $50.00 per night.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank EthanSpelling
Reviewed March 13, 2008

For nearly 200 a night I only expect a few simple things. Hot water to take a shower with is one of them. When there was no hot water on the morning of my check out after contacting the front desk twice I was told my room was the only one without hot water, there was no offer to allow me to use another shower, and NO concern from the staff at all. Internet connectivity on the property SUCKS. Don't rely on being able to access the internet. We wont be returning. Staff is overall rude, distant and lack any sense of customer service at all.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank paramednick
jdurhan, owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2008

These guests were in a beautiful room but is at the far end of the hotel, it takes awhile to get Hot water there I explained to them. When they informed me that there Hot water was not as Hot as they would like it I immediately looked into the the problem. I did find that the wind had blown the pilot light out on Hot water heater, re-lit and had Hot water in 10 minutes. We also had a shower in office that anyone can use that works off separte hot water tank. These comments in this review are less than honest .
JIM Durhan

Reviewed February 3, 2008

Have stayed at the Worthington 6 times in the past year and half due to a pleasant stay each time. Hotel is spotless, have use of sister facility Alcazar when you want some alone time (tends to be quieter at that pool). The staff always makes me feel welcome and I cannot say enough nice things about them. I tend to be extremely critical of anyplace I stay because I travel quite a bit for business which thankfully put me in 4-5 star luxury hotels. The Worthigton is just as clean, kept up to date, and is just a wonderful place. Added bonus is Happy Hour on Fri and Sat night. Great time to meet other guests. Only improvements needed would be better mattresses and bed linens. Not the best but adequate. Also the noise level by the pool can sometimes be overwhelming if you have a room on first floor. Thankfully, there are only 5 to choose from down there but 3/6 stays have been in them.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank jeepguy05
Reviewed November 12, 2007

I was very concerned about my stay here because I received the same switch from the Worthington to the Alcazar that others have described. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the accomodations there. The Worthington is more Nantucket, the Alcazar more modern. But the great thing is they share grounds so you can go between the two. The Worthington has a really nice pool area and jacuzzi, the Alcazar's is fairly pedestrian and not as nice. But what I really liked was the crowd. Attractive, young and as advertised, fun and frisky. I would highly recommned this place over several more expensive options right in the same area.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank Writer46
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Just let me tell you for a person who has stayed at many resorts in Ft Lauderdale these past few years. This place is one of the best ones to go and stay at hands down. Very clean rooms - Very nice landscaping with 2 pool areas. You will not find a better deal with this atmosphere and what a great enviorment. Me and my partner stayed there and met wonderful people had a wonderful experience. Helpful staff. 5 starts across the board. If you come stay here you will not regret it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple