“keep looking”

The Worthington Guest House
Wilmington, NC
“keep looking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2008

For nearly 200 a night I only expect a few simple things. Hot water to take a shower with is one of them. When there was no hot water on the morning of my check out after contacting the front desk twice I was told my room was the only one without hot water, there was no offer to allow me to use another shower, and NO concern from the staff at all. Internet connectivity on the property SUCKS. Don't rely on being able to access the internet. We wont be returning. Staff is overall rude, distant and lack any sense of customer service at all.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank paramednick
jdurhan, owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, May 28, 2008
These guests were in a beautiful room but is at the far end of the hotel, it takes awhile to get Hot water there I explained to them. When they informed me that there Hot water was not as Hot as they would like it I immediately looked into the the problem. I did find that the wind had blown the pilot light out on Hot water heater, re-lit and had Hot water in 10 minutes. We also had a shower in office that anyone can use that works off separte hot water tank. These comments in this review are less than honest .
JIM Durhan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

Have stayed at the Worthington 6 times in the past year and half due to a pleasant stay each time. Hotel is spotless, have use of sister facility Alcazar when you want some alone time (tends to be quieter at that pool). The staff always makes me feel welcome and I cannot say enough nice things about them. I tend to be extremely critical of anyplace I stay because I travel quite a bit for business which thankfully put me in 4-5 star luxury hotels. The Worthigton is just as clean, kept up to date, and is just a wonderful place. Added bonus is Happy Hour on Fri and Sat night. Great time to meet other guests. Only improvements needed would be better mattresses and bed linens. Not the best but adequate. Also the noise level by the pool can sometimes be overwhelming if you have a room on first floor. Thankfully, there are only 5 to choose from down there but 3/6 stays have been in them.

• Liked — pool and hot tub scene.
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank jeepguy05
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

I was very concerned about my stay here because I received the same switch from the Worthington to the Alcazar that others have described. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the accomodations there. The Worthington is more Nantucket, the Alcazar more modern. But the great thing is they share grounds so you can go between the two. The Worthington has a really nice pool area and jacuzzi, the Alcazar's is fairly pedestrian and not as nice. But what I really liked was the crowd. Attractive, young and as advertised, fun and frisky. I would highly recommned this place over several more expensive options right in the same area.

• Liked — Friendly staff and fellow guests
  • Disliked — Would prefer Worthington over Alcazar
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Writer46
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

Just let me tell you for a person who has stayed at many resorts in Ft Lauderdale these past few years. This place is one of the best ones to go and stay at hands down. Very clean rooms - Very nice landscaping with 2 pool areas. You will not find a better deal with this atmosphere and what a great enviorment. Me and my partner stayed there and met wonderful people had a wonderful experience. Helpful staff. 5 starts across the board. If you come stay here you will not regret it.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Weather
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gronberg
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

I was apprehensive about staying here only because I had never stayed at a gay resort before, but boy am I glad that I took the chance. I am a single guy and felt so at ease at the Worthington. I was there for four nights, over a weekend and met some fantastic singles and couples. I had dinner companions every night, was able to enjoy great sun and conversation during the day, and be by myself when/if I wanted to.

Another plus is great restaurants near by (The Blue Fin and Sloppy Joes are two), the beach is two blocks away, the gay beach maybe just around four blocks if that, happy hour at the resort on weekends, and lots of stuff just a taxi drive away.

I will be back again as soon as I can!!

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank mikey1atl
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2007

m not sure if I have ever written to any hotel to complement the whole, or even a partial experience. from the moment that I had to call to say that I was arriving late last Thursday to check out this morning, I was completely overwhelmed and what a wonderful facility and staff that you have. To be honest, for the first few days, I did not spend much time at the resort but instead wanted to do some site seeing things. yesterday though, I spent ALL DAY and had a BLAST. It was so nice to be able to talk openly to other gay men, not worrying what they thought of me.
My room was always spotless. By the way, where do you get the sheets and pillows? They were the BEST. Far better than any other 4-5 star hotel.
And the shower, I think that the only pictures that I took were of the shower. I just need to see how I can have one built like it in my house!
The only down side was having to pull myself out of the pool last night and realizing that the last 4 days were over and I would soon be back in the land of the freezing temperatures!
I would HIGHLY recommend The Worthington to anyone else coming to Ft Lauderdale. They wont find a better place to stay!
I will hopefully be back VERY soon.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank goatmanMinooka
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2006

I have stayed at the Worthington at least four times and have enjoyed my stay each time. The latest, in December, was for six nights. The rooms are clean, functional and sufficiently large. Amenities are very nice for a resort at this price. The guys who stay at the Worthington are usually quite conversational and down to earth. The atmosphere ranges from tame to frisky, but never crosses over into gross or 'bathhouse.' The owners have always been professional and friendly with me. Of course, respect breeds respect, and I worry about the tone of some of these reviews and wonder how the gay guests behaved with the front office team.

I would only suggest that the breakfast be expanded a bit to include fresh fruit and perhaps a new coffeemaker. In addition, a 'boost' is needed for the current wireless connection as it barely extends to some rooms and a repeater would enable it to give a stronger signal.

I recommend the Worthington to anyone going to Lauderdale. It is a value gay resort accommodation. I know some of the resorts charge double the Worthington's prices, and I have no idea how they can be worth twice the price.

• Liked — Casual Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Weak Wireless
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo