“Very Pleasurable Stay”

The Worthington Guest House
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Very Pleasurable Stay”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We had a very nice stay at the Worthington/Alcazar. The grounds were beautiful and immaculate. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were quiet and comfortable but needed an additional chair and a microwave. It would have been nice to be able to bring dinner leftovers back to the hotel for a midnight snack. The mattress was the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

2 Thank Archie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We just returned from an 11-night stay at the Worthington, which was, in a word, WONDERFUL! We had previously stayed at other gay Fort Lauderdale resorts, but after having lodged at the Worthington last year, we now will go nowhere else. They've done a great job combining two mid-century properties into a lush and relaxing resort. The staff works nonstop cleaning the facilities and maintaining the beautiful landscaping, but most of all, making each guest feel welcome and comfortable. Everyone from the owner to the housekeepers are genuinely friendly and attentive and it creates a fun and easy atmosphere to get to know the other guests. All in all a great vacation experience. We can recommend it highly enough!

1 Thank EdNYC63
California
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Always a great place to stay while in Fort Lauderdale, my visit this month was fantastic. The owner Jim runs a great hotel and his staff is fantastic. The Saturday Night Happy Hour is a great way to meet other guests while enjoying complimentary drinks and snacks. The newly remodeled breakfast area is well stocked and even includes individual packets of peanut butter, a touch I haven't seen at other hotels. With a choice of two pool areas and lots of seating with tables under umbrellas, you have many choices of where to lay back and enjoy your stay. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and remind me of the hotels in Puerto Vallarta. Or If you want to get out and explore, it's a short walk to the beach and lots of ocean facing restaurants and shops.
It's a fifteen minute drive to Wilton Manors where a majority of the gay bars are. If you don't want to drive, a cab is less than $15 dollars.
Lastly, the rooms are beautiful and surprisingly quiet, so you can rest up and take on paradise every morning.
BTW, if you like museums and gardens, The Bonnet House is a few block walk and houses the first residence built long before there was a Fort Lauderdale. http://www.bonnethouse.org/

1 Thank GaryCA1
jdurhanFt_Lauderdale, Jim - Owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you GARYKC for your review, I love to hear that my guests enjoy the little paradise we have made the resort into. I am very pleased you enjoyed our Beautiful gardens, they are like walking through a Botanical park. Thanks again and hope to see you back soon.
Warm regards,
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The Worthington and the adjacent Alcazar provide a good mix of rooms and services for most any traveler. Both are mid-century buildings that have been maintained, and improved, to keep step with the times.

The lushly landscaped Worthington was where I stayed, but connected by a short walkway, the Alcazar was equally clean with a more open pool area that allowed for more sun longer through the day.

Room 212 of the Worthington had a nice view of the pool-hot tub area and the courtyard landscaping. The room itself, I was told, had been carved from a larger suite. The room was spacious, and had a walk in closet with fridge and safe. The bathroom was actually smaller than the closet, and lacked much in the way of shelving for toiletries, but the fixtures were new and stylish. The rain forest shower head was a nice touch, though!

I'm pretty self-sufficient, so I didn't interact a ton with the desk staff, but when I did, they were all friendly and willing to answer any questions I had. The cleaning staff were also really friendly and were happy to accommodate special requests for extra towels, etc. Breakfast was ok, and I'm not sure what other reviewers here were hoping for. Cereal, yogurt, fruit, packaged pastries, coffee & tea. It's a continental breakfast, as advertised, and given the local food service laws mentioned in other reviews, I think they did a good job keeping things stocked and clean throughout the service hours.

Single or in a couple, younger or older, fit or not so fit, the guests were a range of people, but the one thing everyone had in common during my three night stay was they all were friendly and chatty with the other guests. Though I can't compare it to other local properties, the Worthington/Alcazar complex had great facilities, staff & guests during my visit. Big thumbs up, and a likely return visit!

Room Tip: If you have preferences about noise, light and views, definitely speak with property when you make y...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review DeanPok, I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We read these reviews and in turn make the resort an even better place for the comfort of our guests. We have added additional shelving in the room you were in, Thank you for the suggestion. We're listing.....
Warm regards,
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Such a wonderful Place. Gay owned. Very nice Rooms with Flatscreen TV, DVD Box, Fridge.
The Poolarea is Big .
The Staff is so friendly. They offer a Good breakfast and every Saturday they have a Happy Hour with Free Drinks.
The Place is in walking Distance to famous Gaybeach "Sebastian".
When you want to come to FLL and Stay at a gayplace - that is a must...

• Stayed May 2012
jdurhanFt_Lauderdale, Jim - Owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you Kay for your review. It is always a pleasure to see you year after year. You mentioned "Gay Owned" in your review and that is what most gay men like about our resorts, they feel completely comfortable in our environment. Quite a few of the other gay resorts on the beach have been sold to a Swedish Hedge fund group. I look forward everyday to talking with all my guests as they enjoy our 2 pools, Hot tub, Gardens and other friendly attitude free guests you meet from all over the world. That what makes The Worthington Ft Lauderdale's most popular resort.
I look forward to seeing you again soon,
Doylestown Pa
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Worthington/Alcazar is by far the best guesthouse in Fort Lauderdale. The property is so clean and well-kept and has an overall warm and cozy feel to it.. The pool is always being cleaned, my room had a beautiful new fridge, and the landscaping was awesome... The crowd was a friendly mix of couples and singles, young and old and mixed well. The staff are really friendly and efficient and just added to the overall happy time I had there. It's close to the beach and handy to Wilton Manor. While there, I checked out other guesthouse properties, and saw that Worthington was the best choice, and everyone I ran into said the same great things I experienced and how great the owner Jim was. All true.... I will definately be back and will rave about it to everyone...Thanks Guys!

Room Tip: Rooms on The Alcazar side are a bit more secluded
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DaveDoylestownPa
Atlanta GA
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We usually stay this month each year at a nearby gay resort and have always been happy there but thought we'd shake it up and try something new this year. I'm very pleased we did. The guy at the front desk who checked us in was very friendly, very efficient and gave us a very detailed tour of the property since it was our first visit. Actually, he was a riot so we started our stay with several good laughs and immediately felt comfortable and welcomed. We were in what we learned was a coveted one bedroom suite overlooking the pool. It was extremely clean, bright and inviting with a huge rainfall shower and gleaming hardwood floors. The furniture was comfortable and appeared to be fairly new. Free wireless internet, great water pressure with never-ending hot water, two flat screen TV's and plenty of electrical outlets are just a few of the things we were pleased with. The room has a bookshelf audio unit but no dock for an iPod or mp3 player but since we always bring our own it was not a problem but something they should consider adding. The included breakfast looked inviting but all I had was coffee and it was delicious. The clothing-optional pool area is fantastic with a many-man hot tub full of friendly guys 24/7 and a heated pool surrounded by loungers some shaded and some in the sun. The pool area is a lush tropical paradise. Overall this was a very successful trip and we had a fantastic time. The included Saturday afternoon happy-hour hosted by the hotel owners is something you won't want to miss. It is a fun social event for all the hotel guests to mix and mingle and enjoy some poolside snacks and cocktails. Their signature cocktail "The Fernando" is awesome. I hate to admit I had three of them but the spirits poured freely and the owners seemed happy to be generously pouring. I look forward to returning to The Worthington Guesthouse.

Room Tip: We were very pleased with our room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple