“Okay rooms... bad service... location just okay.”

B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #43 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed during the music festival and it was a bit of nightmare. Every room was sold out with parties and drunkerds everywhere. The hotel security was understaffed and very rude. In fact, the security acted like TSA and treated guests as if they were 2nd rate human beings.
The hotel is big and spread out. I recommend you try to stay in the beach tower, so that you are closer to the pool beach, bar and the sand. The hotel does has a very good Mexican restaurant and an interesting underwater themed bar. The rooms were clean... but the bath/shower water came from rusty pipes making it green... not nice! One thing that really annoyed me was the key cards stopped working a couple of times every day... and reception is a 10 minute walk away :(

Room Tip: Stay in Beach tower.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Simon L: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our hotel. We're very sorry to hear about your disappointment with your stay over the festival, and we are passing your comments along for future improvements. We hope that you will decide to stay with us again, so that we may show you the true potential of the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,088)

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is one of the most disappointing hotels I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at Sheratons around the world, and this is not a Sheraton, not even close.

As a professional speaker i was presenting to 4 seminars in Ft Lauderdale and thought that we could stay at a beach hotel.

The hotel is scruffy, old and totally lacking in good management.

I paid extra for a balcony room overlooking the beach. What i was not told was that there was going to be a music festival right outside my room and my view was of a construction site, cranes and building work and no beach view.

To get to the room you had to go from inside the hotel to outside with a door in-between that banged the whole time when people were going in and out at all hours (avoid all rooms ending in 11 and 12)

The room was tiny, pokey and old and nothing like any other Sheraton I have stayed in.

The only saving grace in the hotel was a receptionist called Andrew who tried his best, but my advice to him would be to go and work for a professional hotel group.

Although free internet is advertised on the website, when you check in they tell you it is only free in reception, in the rooms it is $9.95 a day (what a con).

Fortunately Andrew tried his best and gave us free internet for the week, but it was so slow and the signal so weak that we gave up using it. When I complained, they put me through to technical support in some foreign country (I could hardly understand the accent) and after an hour on the phone I gave up.

It was a far walk to the beach and the beach area is nice, but again a total ripoff. To hire a bed with canopy on the beach was $121 a day, this is Ritz Carlton prices without the luxury.

Parking is $20 a day for self park and $25 for valet. I opted for valet and then found out that the self park cars were under cover, but valet parked in an open lot in the sun.

Despite asking asking 3 times for my car to be parked under cover, this was never done and the car was filthy every day. The one day I was going to speak at a large conference, when my car was brought around it was full of bird droppings and I had to have it washed before going to the conference (my own cost)

The restaurants and coffee place was good and the staff friendly there (I imagine that this is outsourced)

Overall a totally disappointing stay and I will never go there again. This is definitely not a 4 or even a 3 star hotel, more likely 2 star (we spent a lot of our time next door at the Harbour Marriot whch was a proper 4 star but could not accomodate us as it was full, otherwise I would have moved and forfeited what I had paid at the Sheraton)

Apologies for the long review, but I am a professional speaker and author on customer service and specialize in the hospitality industry as I spend over 250 days a year in hotels and will share this story on stage in in my next book.

There are certain hotel brands that have no overall standards like the Sheraton and Hilton groups and others that you can always rely on like Hyatt, Intercontinental, Ritz Carlton and Marriott - I will stick to there in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending 11 and 12 or choose another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank frankfurness

Dear frankfurness: Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback has been shared with our management team to ensure the areas you described that need attention are addressed. We understand your frustration and sincerely apologize, as the hotel was very busy over the festival weekend and operating at full occupancy. The staff at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel works very hard to provide our guests with an exceptional experience and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We value your business and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves if your travels bring you back to Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We chose this hotel as it was on the beach, and we hoped to enjoy the beach in the morning before boarding a cruise ship. We arrived after 5.0p.m. and did not receive a warm greeting, just "I need to swipe your card". I explained that we had already paid and that I did not want my card swiped. Eventually, I parted with $100.00 cash before we got the key to our room. There was no help with luggage and we dragged our heavy suitcases over a bridge of carpet and corridors to get to our room. Contrary to the glamorous pictures on the internet, our room was dirty and smelled of cigarette smoke. The bath had water standing in it from the previous occupant and the carpet was filthy, the bedside lamp was broken, the windows were so dirty, one could barely see out of them. There was a crack in the porcelain of the toilet cistern, which had been there for a long time as it was black. The doors and paintwork were dirty and badly chipped and our room was located over a busy, noisy road. There was no double glazing and we heard the lorries rumbling along all night, to say nothing of the party goers and car alarms going off as well. We reported the blocked drain and the engineer came up with lots of machinery and started working on the bath for about an hour. He failed to unblock the drain and eventually gave up. We decided to try and get some sleep as we were shattered. My sheets were very damp and I slept in my dressing gown. At about 11.30p.m., the girl from the front desk called to say that they had decided to move us to a better room. We thanked her and said we were already in bed and really needed to sleep. In the morning, the Manager could not have been nicer and he apologised and offered us a free breakfast. As an ex-hotelier, I find it hard to believe that the Sheraton can condone such conditions. I tried to communicate with the Head Office of Sheraton but my email did not submit and after typing it several times, I decided to try this approach. I should still like to communicate my complaints and photographs to the Management, who are responsible for letting rooms in this condition and send them the photographs which I took at the time. Sheraton should close this section of the hotel down and completely upgrade it to a decent standard. The beach was great.
Later, when I returned to Fort Lauderdale, we stayed in the Ritz Carlton - what a joy that was.

Room Tip: I should like a tip to find a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Magurn

Dear Magurn: On behalf of the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel, please accept our sincere apologies for the frustration you experienced while staying with us. This is certainly not the Sheraton experience we aim to provide our guests and your feedback is greatly appreciated, as this gives us the opportunity to address and correct the issues you encountered.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

hotel was located perfectly. on the beach near restaurants and shopping. staff was friendly. room was fairly large and comfortable Calesia , front desk was wonderful. she remained after her shift to make sure that our room was ready and would include our prefererences of a low floor close to the elevator each day she greeted my wife and myself in apleasant and caring manner . she is an assrt to the hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marty B

Dear Marty B: Thank you for sharing your wonderful review! We are happy to hear that Calesia was able to assist with your needs, and make your stay pleasurable! We hope you choose to stay with Sheraton again in the future for another fantastic stay!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel has buildings that are located right on Fort Lauderdale Beach! The first time we stayed here we didn't care much for the hotel which was old and smelled musty. We were only there for a one night precruise stay and were more concerned about a comfortable bed convenient to Port Everglades than the decor. They have done a lot of remodeling since then. This time we were staying in the the area for six days to attend a conference. We were in the Beach Tower with one whole wall of our room overlooking the beach and the water. An amazing view!!!!!! Lee at the front desk was awesome, helping us to find just the right room. The guys at Valet Parking were also fantastic; quick with both our car AND directions to our venues.

Room Tip: Ask for the Beach Tower to be right on the beach!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear ChrisV8: Welcome back to the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel and thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us regarding your most recent stay. The hotel is glad to have you as a loyal customer and greatly appreciate your wonderful feedback about our staff, outlets, and ideal location right on the beach! Thank you again for your continued patronage and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stay in the Beach Tower---sunny, bright,close to pool,pool bar,and beach,i believe the rooms are a little bigge.r also,oh i forgot--INCREDIBLE VIEWS.Listen-the hotel is old-its visable if your looking for stains,yellowish tubs,caulking--but generally its clean, the beds are comfy and we heard no noise at all in the tower. You have 3 food choices,an upscale mexican thats open all day long--its good what can i say,a fast food coffee shop in the lobby that actually had great sandwiches-and the pool bar , again very good sandwiches. Folks everything is expensive-you are in ft lauderdale on the beach! sandwiches are 10-12 and cocktails are 8-10. The high light on this trip was simply the service given us throught out the hotel --i mean everyone--not one sour puss--the service at the pool and at the beach is simply untopable.THe gym is in excellant shape with dozens of machines to choose from--the refigerated towels were a nice surprise. The hotel is across the street from a funky bar-restaurant, across the street from a marina-and about a half mile walk from bars and restaurants galore.-Its in a great spot.The main pool is sometimes crowded and sometimes your the only one in it--shade does take over about 4pm-and that could be a good thing--sun at the beach all the way through 6pm-2 free beach lounges--20 for an umbrella--we wwere not charged anything for internet use with our cell phones-so i dont know what thats all about==safe in room and new this year FRIDGE--what a surprise. They always seem to have a fourth night free with $50 credit deal going--so what are you waiting for.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank barc2

Dear barc2: Thank you for sharing your vacation memories with us! We couldn’t be happier to hear that you loved your experience from check-in to check out. We can’t wait to have you back for another relaxing stay here at the oceanfront Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. Thank you for your continued patronage.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Hotel beach abuts the Town beach which gives you plenty of room to spread out. Hotel beach is fine and they will rent you anything imaginable for use on the beach for what I thought was a steep price. Hut, Umbrella, chair...

We stayed in the Towers section which is actually across the road, but you access via a walkway that goes over the top of the street.

Rooms are old and tired with a unique odor that is tried on a daily basis to be masked with deodorizer.

If your number one objective is the beach and room on the beach this is a great option.
If your looking for the Hotel experience.............

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Brian M: Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts! We appreciate your insight regarding our accommodations. Please know that your feedback is important to us as we work to improve the product and services offered to our guests. Thanks again for your recommendation and for sharing your experiences with us.