“Wonderful service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Miami
“Wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

The location couldn't be better - right on the beach. Stayed on the 6th floor with Ocean View - I had to pinch myself each morning as I looked out the window. The rooms and public spaces were clean and welcoming. But what sets this hotel apart is the staff. Everyone, and I mean everyone, from the front desk to the cleaning crew to the restaurant staff, etc. were so accommodating, friendly and attentive. There was no request too small or inconsequential that did not get their immediate attention. They made me feel like a very important guest! I am looking forward to my next trip there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Elbamfl: Thank you for your review, and your recommendation! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our location, and all of our wonderful Sheraton amenities. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in the area!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had a friends wedding to go to and I'm from Fort Lauderdale and came down to visit. The staff was very unprofessional, it took me a hour and half to get a cot for a friend, they put stress on my friend and his feature wife, they didn't tell me that you you have to pay for parking one way or another, either valet or self parking and both $20 or more per day as I prepaid for the room. The hotel bar dos caminos had terrible service as well with lack of employees and lack of food on their menu. I don't believe there was one good thing about this hotel. Definitely not staying here again!!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Wazup111: Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your comments, and we are passing them along to the appropriate departments for further improvements. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review, as we are always looking for ways to improve our product and service.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I am a frequent traveler to the S Fla market. I have stayed at every S. Florida Starwood property and this is my favorite.

Its not the newest, but it has a great location. Food at Dos Caminios is always good and a cold drink by the pool at the end of the day is nice. The staff is always pleasant and attentive to guest needs. Vivienne, one the the VIP coordinators really stands out for great customer service and attention to detail. She always reaches out before my visit to see if there is anything I need. I like the personal touch.

You do not need to spend more to get a great room and service...

Cheers,
DM

Room Tip: I have stayed in the Beach Tower and the Main Bidg. Both are fine, if your spending more time at th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had a mixed experience at this hotel. The service was good and the staffs were friendly. I received a welcome email from the VIP staff Vivienne a couple days ahead of my vacation to ask for preferences. They gave me the upgrade that I had requested for my sister's honeymoon and had welcome gifts. The front desk staff who checked me in was very polite (mid aged woman with curly hair, I forgot her name..) Even though I'm not completely satisfied with the upgrade because of the floor level, but I was told that they have no other rooms. It's a shame, but not the staff's fault.
HOWEVER, this hotel itself is too old and not well maintained.
- We had 2 rooms with a beach view, but it was on the second floor so the beautiful view is almost completely blocked by the trees and the swimming pool (total waste of the view). The room is all glass on two sides, even though they say you can't really see from outside, but the fact is that you can see quite clearly at the pool, which is quite uncomfortable to know that all people know exactly what you're doing. So we kept one side of the curtain shut most of the time.
- The room is big, but looks old. The ceiling and floor are dirty with stains, had holes at the corner, and the metal bars are all rusty in the bathroom. The outlets at the desk are loose, so you have to press on it for it to work. Wooden desk was covered in a layer of dust, and the drawers were moldy. I would never expect to see this in a Sheraton hotel.
- The TV size is way too small for the size of the room, so when you sit on the bed you can't even see the number when changing channels.
- The hallway leading to the swimming pool on the first floor always smelled like wet stinky shoes. I understand is probably because the carpet is always wet when people come in from the ocean/pool, but that can easily be maintained or just changed to tiles instead. They weren't smart about that.....
- I would expect them to have free shuttle services to the hotel, but they do not either (very close to FLL)
If it wasn't because I still had good service from the staff, I would rate this hotel as a 1 or 2 star only.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Wenwbaby: Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback from your recent stay at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. We apologize for the challenges and difficulties you encountered throughout your stay, as this is certainly not the Sheraton experience we aim to provide our guests. Your comments are very much appreciated, as this will help us to improve the quality and service we provide to our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and for also sharing what you enjoyed most about your stay!

Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton FLL to have a quick get away in August and the staff was so friendly and accommodating. They knew we were celebrating a well needed weekend trip and surprised us with a cheese platter with a personalized card! Vivienne was exceptional, she was the one that went out of her way to find out small details of our getaway and pleasantly surprised us! This def started our trip off on a great note! The beach that we overlooked was amazing to wake up to! Dos Caminos was a perfect place for guacamole that we both love so much and we didn't even have to leave the hotel! I highly recommend this resort as a getaway for couples to relax, have fun and get some great beach time in!

Room Tip: Ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights on a weekend and were weary of hotels on Ft. Lauderdale beach from previous bad experiences. But the Sheraton has given us a new starting point.
The rooms were spotless, easy to find and drive to (other hotels almost have a maze to be able to get into in the area). But the highlight was the greeting at the front desk.
Most employees in the tourism industry seem to be fed up dealing with tourists, but we were greeted by a wonderful young lady by the name of Vivienne. She was even able to speak fluent and perfect German to us. She upgraded our room and got us the most spectacular view of the Atlantic. My wife and I stayed up watching the heat lightning and even made it up early enough to watch the gorgeous sunrise.
We will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed August 2013
Glastonbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend, 2013. Paid for the stay, didn't use Starwood points.

We reserved a beach view room in the beach tower, but upon check-in asked if there were upgrades. We were told that they could "upgrade" us to the beach tower; apparently we were NOT put in the beach tower in the initial reservation, despite paying that rate. Odd.

Pros and cons to being in that "tower" (it's only 4 or 5 stories). Close to the beach, obviously; close to infinity pool and bar; away from the main building hustle and bustle. Our room had a beach/ocean view, but was at the opposite end of the building from the pool, so it was quiet. With the DJ and crowded pool I could imagine that rooms overlooking the pool would be inundated with noise. Some cons: people from main building walk through the tower building going to/from pool. Lots of foot traffic (and sand, dripping bathing suits, etc). It's a walk (not awful) from the street to this building, and in the rain it's an annoyance to go outside to get to the building. Not awful, just an annoyance.

Room was modern and nice, but the bathroom has a LOW counter, as if it were for people shorter than 5'9". Shower head is low and points at my neck (and I'm only 6' tall). Hot water didn't work all weekend in our sink (shower was fine), and despite telling the front desk about it twice they never came up to fix it. MAJOR frustration shaving my face with cold water post-shower.

Finally, while the hotel was booked solid, according to some people, it seemed like a LOT of the people at both pools (one is by the main building) and beach were NOT hotel guests. Lot of people dragging coolers in from the street and going right to the pool. Seemed like a family member would stay there and invite their 10-20 closest relatives and friends.

On the plus side the gym is fantastic (Sheraton gyms are often great; Westin has something to learn); the Don Caminos restaurant was tasty/fine for Breakfast (but expensive) and bar food/dinner; the bed was quite comfortable and it was quiet at night, so we slept well; the location is great for walking to restaurants and bars and along the beach; it's a $15 cab ride (or $2/person on the trolley!) each way to Las Olas. We took a cab to/from airport, for about $14 each way.

The beach staff was great for getting chairs, pads, towels, and umbrellas. All that is gratis except the umbrella, which was $19/day. I heard them offer "cabanas" on the beach for varying prices. Kind of disappointing to think they'd try and rip me off as a hotel guest.

In-room internet for a fee; typical and disappointing.

Overall, it's a pleasant hotel with comfortable beds and direct access to the beach - no need to cross A1A like the Westin, Ritz, W, etc, etc up the street. Seems more low-key than the Marriott next door. But it's not luxurious; the wildness at the infinity pool put us off from even attempting to "relax" near it; the possibility of non-guests coming in and using the facilities is VERY off-putting. Not sure I'd come back, at least not during a crowded holiday/season.

Room Tip: If you want quiet in the beach tower, get a room that faces the beach volleyball courts, away from t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple