“Enjoyed my stay but is this really a Sheraton Hotel?”

B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Dublin
“Enjoyed my stay but is this really a Sheraton Hotel?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed here in mid-August for a weekend.

I'll keep this short.

Pro's;

Very friendly and helpful staff, from the check-in desk to the guy who works in the car park (parking is around $19 per night, I think)
Location. Right on the beach. This is reason enough to stay here. A+
Very reasonable nightly rate for a weekend stay at a beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale
Plenty of restaurants within walking distance and, if you're driving, you have any number of places to eat and visit at night.

Cons;
This was listed as a four star hotel. It may have been a four star back in the late 80's or early 90's but certainly not a four star hotel by modern standards.
The rooms have a very 'motel' like feeling to them and are tired looking, with a real need for modernising.
At times, the 'outside noise' from other guests, can be annoying

With that being said, the only thing that stopped me booking this hotel again this month (I visit on business every few weeks) was the lack of free, in-room WiFi. I refuse to pay for that in any hotel :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

The beach is beautiful, the rooms are clean and comfortable. Friendly staff. Staff member who went above and beyond the call of duty and made my stay perfect: Rola ElHassani. Also, Ryma Chowdnary was very helpful. I love this hotel. This is my second stay and I will come back again next year. Gay friendly.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel was excellent in every way. The most exceptional experience for me was Rola ElHassani who worked at reception. She went well beyond the call of duty to make my stay here even more pleasurable. One rarely meets people like Rola. She is so friendly and charming and so so helpful. I have been staying in hotels throughout the world for 44 years and I have never before encountered hotel staff like Rola. An amazing human being. If you stay here ask for Rola at reception. I never write reviews but feel compelled to praise Rola as she made my stay here magical.

Attleboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is awesome. They are on the beach ,they have 2 pools, & several restaurants on site.They are close to everything beach related. The shopping is great & the shops are right down the street within walking distance. There are tons of restaurants in the area also.The only thing that could have been better is if there were fridges in the rooms. We just bought a cheap cooler for the week. They have plenty of ice. The staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: The building near the beach stinks when they are cooking.There is a beach bar at this building durin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I am writing from the Sheraton on Ft Lauderdale Beach and want to say that this is a lovely hotel, has a very nice fairly large pool and direct access to the beach... You get two chairs per family on the beach, which is unique in itself and the food at the Beach Bar and Grill is very good and not too expensive... I'm staying in the Marina Tower and just love my room...It is very very clean, as is the hotel in general, the beds are very comfortable and the view of the Intercoastal Waterway is beautiful....I was a bit concerned about this hotel based on some of the very mixed reviews, but I am very glad to be here and recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a real nice oceanfront hotel in Ft. Lauderdale.....I would like to also mention the Customer Service in this hotel is outstanding and I would like to especially thank Stacey at the Front Desk and Cleeve for all their help in getting me checked in...The VIP Team also deserves a thank you from me for the box of chocolates that they left in my room....A great Place with Great Customer Service all around......

Room Tip: If you like stepping out onto the beach from your room ..ask for the Beach Tower, very nice....but i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

After my awful night at the Hilton at FLL airport, anything would be better. Luckily, the Sheraton on the beach here is quite nice. Not quite perfect, but quite nice.

The front desk staff is AMAZING. What a truly warm and friendly welcome. Informative, outgoing, helpful, warm... i could keep going on the nice things about it. Plus, as SPG Gold and Delta Platinum, they loaded me up with goodies and a room upgrade. The "Ocean Building" room looked directly into a condo building, but we could see a sliver of the ocean, and it was a newly renovated room. AND... the building was right on the beach. That was great. While all those other hotels are across the street, the Sheraton is right there on the sand. That's a big plus.

There's a Dos Caminos here... since I have never been to the ones in NYC, I figured why not try when I'm not in NYC? :) The restaurant is beautiful, but the outdoor seating looks out at the road - sort of a bummer, since there's an ocean right there. But the Mexican breakfast... YUM! Chilaquiles and huevos rancheros? Sign me up for more.

The place is a maze. Lots of buildings. That could be annoying if you're not in the Ocean Building (at least for when you want to use pool or beach).

The pool is rather small and was overrun with people and a loud DJ playing an, um, interesting mix of music. The music was loud enough to ruin the crowded beach chair experience. The pool was just so dang busy. And this was the off season. It felt like some awful cruise ship experience (though I haven't been on a cruise). The drinks at the pool were good, but I'm not sure they put more than about half a shot of booze in them (the Hilton Bentley in Miami makes stronger ones). The hotel doesn't provide enough servers for the beach chair area on the beach. They were overwhelmed, and as a result, it was much easier to get up and go get your own drinks from the overwhelmed bartenders.

I really did not like having to pay $19 for them to install a bleepin' umbrella over the beach chairs. You get a beach chair but no umbrella? C'mon. Don't cheap out on us like that. Charge a resort fee or give us a drink if we buy the umbrella or something. I just don't like the nickel-and-dime.

So I'm torn... there's a ton to like about this place, but when it comes to why you're in Florida, the overcrowded pool and beach area (so many chairs, so close to each other) was a bit of a letdown. Nonetheless, I'd stay here again, and I'd suggest you consider it, too.

Room Tip: Try to get in the Ocean Building and ask to not face the condo. A few other buildings have good vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We checked in and were upgraded to a beach view room. The room was immaculate excellent view and quite spacious. We really enjoyed our stay. The food was excellent with a great choice.From check in to bar and resteraunt the staff were friendly and extremely helpful. Overall we had a fab stay.