After my awful night at the Hilton at FLL airport, anything would be better. Luckily, the Sheraton on the beach here is quite nice. Not quite perfect, but quite nice.
The front desk staff is AMAZING. What a truly warm and friendly welcome. Informative, outgoing, helpful, warm... i could keep going on the nice things about it. Plus, as SPG Gold and Delta Platinum, they loaded me up with goodies and a room upgrade. The "Ocean Building" room looked directly into a condo building, but we could see a sliver of the ocean, and it was a newly renovated room. AND... the building was right on the beach. That was great. While all those other hotels are across the street, the Sheraton is right there on the sand. That's a big plus.
There's a Dos Caminos here... since I have never been to the ones in NYC, I figured why not try when I'm not in NYC? :) The restaurant is beautiful, but the outdoor seating looks out at the road - sort of a bummer, since there's an ocean right there. But the Mexican breakfast... YUM! Chilaquiles and huevos rancheros? Sign me up for more.
The place is a maze. Lots of buildings. That could be annoying if you're not in the Ocean Building (at least for when you want to use pool or beach).
The pool is rather small and was overrun with people and a loud DJ playing an, um, interesting mix of music. The music was loud enough to ruin the crowded beach chair experience. The pool was just so dang busy. And this was the off season. It felt like some awful cruise ship experience (though I haven't been on a cruise). The drinks at the pool were good, but I'm not sure they put more than about half a shot of booze in them (the Hilton Bentley in Miami makes stronger ones). The hotel doesn't provide enough servers for the beach chair area on the beach. They were overwhelmed, and as a result, it was much easier to get up and go get your own drinks from the overwhelmed bartenders.
I really did not like having to pay $19 for them to install a bleepin' umbrella over the beach chairs. You get a beach chair but no umbrella? C'mon. Don't cheap out on us like that. Charge a resort fee or give us a drink if we buy the umbrella or something. I just don't like the nickel-and-dime.
So I'm torn... there's a ton to like about this place, but when it comes to why you're in Florida, the overcrowded pool and beach area (so many chairs, so close to each other) was a bit of a letdown. Nonetheless, I'd stay here again, and I'd suggest you consider it, too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For the ultimate oceanfront experience in South Florida, look no further than B Ocean Resort in Fort Lauderdale. Located directly on the pristine white sand beach, B Ocean Resort is where you'll want to B for the ultimate beach vacation. With 486 bright and airy guest rooms and suites, B Ocean Resort features the most desirable amenities, including FreeB™ WiFi, 2 outdoor pools, a private beach, the B Active Fitness Center, and delectable dining at Dos Caminos, the famed Wreck Bar and Beach Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Priceline, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yankee Clipper Hotel Florida
- Yankee Clipper Motel
- Sheraton Yankee Clipper Fort Lauderdale
- Sheraton Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale Sheraton