“We had a wonderful time”

B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“We had a wonderful time”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We were looking for a relaxing vacation and that is what We got. After reading the reviews I was a little worried. We got a great room in the beach building and we got it at a fair price. The beach building is right on the beach and has a view of the ocean (some partial some whole-we had partial which was fine with me). The place is a little confusing at first like others have said. There is the main building which is where the one pool is and the gym and the food places, then there is the building across the street near the parking lot which is connected by a walkway over the A1A roadway. The other building is called the south tower and is sort of between the main building and the beach building and it has no views of the ocean (at least this is what I was told). We liked exploring the hotel. Our room had quiet air conditioning. The first few days I was there the hallway had no noise, then on the third day a large group must have checked in that left early because in the morning I heard doors slamming and then they were gone(along with my do not disturb sign). It was quiet again and fortunately no one came to clean early (which we do not want-we like later cleaning and to sleep in) and housekeeping got me a new sign right away. So it is a matter of luck if your halls are quiet or not. You can hear everything in the hallway. I bring earplugs with me because a lot of hotels are like this. At night the hotel hall way was quiet for my whole stay. I loved the hotel pool and it was right on the beach (one pool in main building in courtyard very pretty and other pool on beach (infinity pool also very nice). The pools are not super large like some hotels but they were fine for us. I enjoyed the beach view from the pool. We picked a quiet week and the pool was rarely crowded. On the night we were checking out which was a Friday a large group came in and the pool was more crowded and noisy. It was a football crowd down to see the Eagles game and they were fine except that no one stopped people from smoking while they ate around the pool. A wind blew the smoke in the other direction but it made me wonder if it was a non-smoking hotel except for poolside. We had no problem with any one smoking on the other days. People did smoke by the door going into the main building from the beach building and the south tower and this was a bit annoying but I let it pass and walked quickly and never sat out there. The food in the hotel was good. We ate a couple of days by the pool and service was good, we ate at the Linc when we arrived and service was also good and the food was fine. We tried Los Caminos for breakfast one day and I was happy to find breakfast food that was not spicy like some reviews said. It was very good- could get an omelet or bagel lox and cream cheese or whatever. Prices were high but they allowed refills of the orange juice which I liked. Our room had a safe and the bed was comfortable. Not all rooms have safes yet but they are working on it. The first night they put a sheet that was too small on the bed and it kept coming off. Others had said this in the reviews and it is true, however in the morning housekeeping was outside in the hall and I asked them about this and they apologized and immediately replaced the sheet with the proper size. They said I should have called right away and it would have been taken care of. So I guess you just have to speak up and it will be taken care of. I do not know why they have this problem in the first place but I was happy the rest of the trip and the sheet was fine. I know it sounds like I am complaining about things but I just want to express that we enjoyed our trip but things were not perfect. The place turned out to be a lot better then the reviews said. It was clean, I got beach chairs free, the weather was good (we are beach and pool people), The pool was clean and warm with the saline cleaning instead of chlorine which I now like,we had a view of the beach from our room. Housekeeping was wonderful, everything we requested they remembered to get and they cleaned the room well and always left us soap and lotions. I liked the shower gel and nylon scrubber they gave with it. Housekeeping was very nice and made us feel welcome. It was one of our better trips. We are glad we picked this hotel. One day we ate breakfast at the Marriott next door (expensive but great view on the beach and great service) and a few days we ate breakfast at the Best Western for 10 dollars each. It is a very good breakfast and Frank and Rose are very nice. Frank always gave us tips on things to do in the area. For dinner and lunch you can walk to Coconuts (prices are higher then three years ago), but food is still good and service excellent, Bahia grill is across the street from the Sheraton and All About Food is down the street or you can just eat in the hotel. Prices for food are high all over so we just got used to it. CVS is about a mile down the beach or A1A and we were told Walgreens is nearby too but we never got there. We also enjoyed the lemonade and iced tea in the lobby which is given out on weekends only or if it is very hot outside. (that is what I was told). When we arrived it was quite a treat while checking in. We did not have a long check in line but I can see how maybe there could be one at times. They usually have a few people on the front desk but if a big group comes in I guess there might be a wait because the front desk is very helpful and people have a lot of questions(like me). Cab fare ran 20-22 from the airport plus tip. Hope this helps everyone and enjoy your vacation! We would definitely go back to the Sheraton Beach!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 112Les

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Springfield, Virginia, USA
Reviewed December 14, 2011

If you don't believe my ratings are fair, just go on the Starwood page for the hotel and read the reviews.

The housekeeping service is below average, service is atrocious with the exception of the front desk and valet staff who were always top notch. Reataurant service is terrible. They seems to act like they are doing you a favor by servicing the table and don't even take care of the basics like bringing flatware and refilling drinks.

There is constant cruise ship traffic contributing to long lines everywhere especially checking-in and all around the lobby and main tower level. Lots of groups stay there on the way to/from cruises so it's pretty much pandamonium consistently. It really isn't a good relaxing vacation spot.

The local water has a weird taste and yellow tint to it. We were told that ia standard for the area city water system but could not verify this.

The only good thing about the place is the location. It's right on the beach and near several restauranta, shops, and nightlife.

• Stayed December 2011
sinceresfbh, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Dear Gordongekko83: Thank you for your comments about the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel; they are much appreciated as this will help us to improve the quality of service and the product we provide our customers. Thank you for also acknowledging what you enjoyed most about the hotel along with the areas that need improvement.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Nice hotel, great location. We stayed here one day prior to our cruise vacation. The property is right on the beach and this hotel has 2 pools. The fitness room was fully equipped. The beds were very comfortable, but the room service was the best I have had soo yummy. Would recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2011
toronto
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed here for two nights after a cruise. My friends were given room 391 in the Marina Tower. You have to take the elevator and then walk along the skywalk across the highway. Quite a long trip with luggage and a 10 month old baby. There was no hot water from the shower and no safe in the room. I was given room 109 in the south tower. There was substantial mold on the drapes, no safe and absolutely no view of anything.
We complained and were given rooms 153 and 151 in the Beachside building. This is a separate building right on the beach. These rooms were substantially better maintained and had safes in them.
My friends requested a crib for the baby and a fridge to store baby food. They had to call a second time to get these delivered. They were finally brought to the room while they were out. It would have been nice if the employee had actually plugged in the fridge to ensure that it worked rather than just leaving it in the room.
The lock on my door did not lock when I left the room. This was not readily apparent and I am glad that I double checked the door when leaving. The door lock was repaired but later in my stay, the pass card would not open the door and I had to ask for assistance again.
In the Sheraton's favour - the pool on the beach is very nice and we had an excellent lunch there. The female employees at the desk were very helpful. The hotel is right on the beach but there are no shops nearby so it was hard to get baby food and other supplies.
I stayed here some years ago before it was closed for renovations. I enjoyed my stay then but was really disappointed this time. My stays at the Hilton and Renaissance were much better.
Overnight parking costs $20. Internet access was $10 a day but you can go next door to the Best Western and they have a computer in the lobby with free internet.
Unless you can be guaranteed to get a room in the beachside building, I would stay somewhere else.
Andrew

Room Tip: insist on a room in the beachside building
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank tocanada2
Dear Tocanada2: Thank you for sharing your review and taking the time to provide valuable feedback about your recent stay. We understand that providing our guests with a clean and well maintained guestroom is number one priority and we sincerely regret that we failed to deliver such a room to you during your stay. Your feedback will be shared with our housekeeping and engineering teams. Furthermore, you will be glad to know that all guestrooms now have an in-room safe, so that our guests can store valuable items securely. Again, thank you for your comments and review about our hotel.
Littlestone-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in transit from England for one night prior to joining our cruise. This appeared to be the major source of income for them as the next morning crowds of people collected with their luggage in the reception area awaiting pick up by coaches to be taken to their various ships.

The rooms were large and the beds comfortable with nice linen. We were there on a Friday evening and there was a 'mermaid' show in the bar which was quite fun. The accommodation was perfectly adequate for a stopover.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roslyn105
Dear Roslyn105: Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel as your pre-cruise destination! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope you had a wonderful cruise. Come back and see us soon!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Stay away from this “hotel”! This Sheraton is more a motel than a 4-star hotel. I would never knowingly book a room at a hotel with a 7.3 guest rating, but trusting that Priceline’s guarantee of 8+ rating on their “Name Your Own Price” 4-star hotels actually meant something, I paid for a 3-night stay and Sheraton accepted my price. After reading the reviews, I knew this was going to be bad, and it sure was. I was given a room in the Clipper Building. I have never stayed at a motel, but I can’t imagine motels can do any worse. The building is motel style, with dirt and stained furniture all over the place. The furniture in the room was old and dirty. I had asked for a room with a refrigerator (it costs $10/night), thinking they had select rooms with a refrigerator, but no, it had it to be brought up to my room – again only at a motel would this happen – and when it came, sure enough it was dirty and looked liked it was picked up from the street. I wasn’t going to have my vacation ruined and immediately went online to look for another hotel, but my travel companion suggested I ask for a different room instead. We had read that the tower building was better, so I went to the front desk and requested a room in the tower building. Needless to say, the agent wasn’t too pleased to give me another room, this time in the south tower. It was a huge upgrade from the first room, but it still was not up to par: water stained ceiling in the bathroom, cracked and chipped floor molding, dusty and stained furniture, broken TV remote control, broken ironing board, old iron, hair on the bathroom floor for two days, vacuum cleaner left on the corridor for two days, the list goes on. I didn’t want to complain anymore than I already had, so I went out and got disinfecting wipes to clean up the dirt. The only positive comment I have about this hotel is the pillows. I have stayed at the Westin, and they have a similar pillow, so I guess this is the Starwood chain standard. I hadn’t stayed at a Sheraton before this trip, and most definitely would not ever again. If you must stay at this hotel, insist on a room in the tower building.

Room Tip: If you must stay at this hotel, insist on a room in the tower building.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Adedoyin O
Chicagoland
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We are Sheraton frequent stayers. We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years before and after cruises. This time I was sadly disappointed. They put in a Mexican restaurant and took out half the lobby to do so. The lobby had recently been redecorated and was simply devine. Very relaxing to sit there and read a book, use your computer or converse. Now there is virtually no lobby to sit in. We don't eat Mexican food. Even the breakfast sausage at Starbucks was too spicy to eat. The menu at the main pool bar was changed to spicier things as well. The music at the second pool was also Spanish. They took out the comfortable lounge seating at the main pool and put it in the cabanas so now you have to pay for it. Again, this was the charm of the pool area. I felt like they were catering to people from south of the border and not to Americans. So we will have to look for another hotel in the area for our next trip.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends