“Great Property and Great Staff”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #56 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
St. Pete Beach, FL
“Great Property and Great Staff”
Reviewed September 8, 2007

My husband and I were looking for a place to take our staff on a 4 day vacation. We stayed at Bahia Mar and had a great time. The hotel and all its property are great. Very clean. Great pool area. Really comfortable beds. Clean rooms. Very helpful and curteous staff.

We later brought down our staff (App 18 rooms). They all had a great time. We are looking forward to visiting again.

• Liked — Great Rooms, Pool Area and Very Comfortable Beds
  • Disliked — Slow Elevator
  • Stayed September 2007
1 Thank PassagrilleLady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We recently checked into the Bahia Mar after having spent a week in the Florida Keys. The hotel was booked through Virgin Holidays.

We arrived at around 12pm there was no problem checking in early. As soon as we revealed we were with Virgin Holidays nothing was a problem at all! The staff on the desk were very friendly and accommodating, we were immediately made to feel very welcome. Allocated a room on the 15th floor with magnificent views over both the beach and marina, however on looking out of the window and placing one foot on the balcony my wife proceeded to shake like a jelly and then throw up! Steam coming out of my ears as I knew what was to follow "honey can you just go to reception and see if we can move to another room.!"

Bearing in mind it was the weekend I doubted if this would be possible as the hotel appeared very very busy. Suddenly acquiring a hearing problem, ignoring her protestations and admiring the beautiful view the door slammed shut. My wife returned some 5 minutes later and informed me we were moving rooms! The front desk staff had made every effort and had somehow accomodated her wishes.

Both rooms located in the tower block, ( there are two blocks) were clean, tidy and very adequate for us.The maid service was very good. The decor was a bit dated but didn't detract from us having a wonderful stay. We did not intend staying in the hotel much anyway.

The reception area had obviously been recently refurbished and was pleasing to the eye. Free Internet access was available in this lobby area. I quite often attempted logging on to check my e-mails but was often thwarted by spotty faced juveniles spending ages playing various computer games. Also located in this area is the concierge. We booked a brilliant bus trip to Miami through this facility. The tour company is a small husband and wife team operating under the banner of "Tours To You". Mindy our tour guide was brilliant but she does need to work on her jokes! The trip cost $45 a person and was well worth the money. It saved us from driving, we would never have found all the areas we wanted to see.

Also in this area was the reasonably priced gift shop. Just across the road is located the Deli. Very reasonably priced if you just fancy a sandwich instead of a full meal. The food here was excellent.

The pool although relatively small but pleasant ,was well used and was always busy. The batchelor and batchelorette party set were there at the weekend and it was quite entertaining. However the language could be ripe and one guy playing pool with his children next to the bar very nearly got into a physical fight with one loudmouth. Personally I found it all very amusing. A little disconcerting for myself was the fact that Ft Lauderdale is a well known vacation destination for "the rainbow flag" brigade. Not a problem, but when my wife pointed out to me I was constantly being checked out by two guys on the opposite side of the pool, I refused to get out of the water until they left. For you UK readers Im a bit of a Grant Mitchell lookalike, bald, well built (pleasantly plump) and heavily tattooed . My wife never did inform me if the chicks were checking me out as well!

Phone prices like any hotel were quite expensive. We bought a local cell phone for $20 and put about $30 credit on it. This lasted all of our 2 week stay in the States. About £25. The cost of calls to the UK this way was about 10-15cents a minute with Cingular/ATT. Do not use your home mobile! Call costs to the UK about 25p a minute and 99p a minute to recieve. We left the phone for the maid on our departure, it is useless in the UK.

We never did use the hotel bar or restaurant, which were bright and appealling, but this was due to the fact that there are so many really cool places to eat and drink in the Ft Lauderdale area. We did not witness much use by other residents either.

The Bahia Mar is also the departure point for the " World Famous" Jungle Queen riverboat. We took the all you can eat dining experience. The boat takes you on a tour of the canals pointing out who owns which multi million dollar property, before arriving at a private island, here you are treated to a meal of Ribs, Chicken and Shrimp followed by a variety show. All for about $36 per person.

You do not really need a car to get about in Ft Lauderdale. However If staying at the Bahia Mar you must make every effort to visit the Seminole Casino and entertainment complex about 15 mins drive away. Lots of shops and nightlife. Strictly for shopping the Sawgrass Mills shopping complex is around 15 miles away, well worth a visit expect to pay in dollars what you would pay in pounds and less!

To sum up, this hotel is a three star hotel located in a five star location, nestling amongst multi million dollar Motor Vessels. The staff are brilliant. It is ideally situated for access to the beach, Las Olas Boulevard, The Beach Place and more importantly the water taxis just outside the hotel. The taxis are a must, for $11 this gives you an all day ticket. This is ideal for "sussing out" Ft Lauderdale on your arrival.

Would we return? You bet we would we absolutely loved this hotel and location. It also helps that the exchange rate is so good for us Brits!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank limeyben
sacramento
Reviewed September 5, 2007

one of the last few older hotel in fort lauderdale promenade. the best thing about this hotel is its location. the smell that some of the reviewers are complaining about is to be expected from an older hotel near the beach. but the hotel itself is still in good condition. the pool temperature was the warmest of any pool i have been in. parking is 18.00 per night but it compares with other hotel resort in the area. I will surely be back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — slow elevators
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank worldtraveler24
knoxville, tn
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Horrible! Horrible! Horrible! Lets start by saying I called the hotel early Saturday am to see if early check in was an option (the cruise came in earlier then expected). After 15 minutes on being on hold I HUNG UP! So, we show up at the hotel around 8am... to be told that we had to wait until 4 pm for check-in! What??!!! They stated that they were sold out the night before and that it would be a while before housekeeping could clean the rooms. They went on to say that getting in a room by 2 was pushing it. The whole time we noticed a group of 300 people leaving to go on a cruise! Do I need to say more...

The lobby looked great, very updated and well maintained. Normally when resort is in a title, you expect at least clean linens and a dust/mold free room.

We finally make it to our rooms after a $22 breakfast and a $27 lunch... and a $2.65 coke?!? When inserting the key to unlock the door they didn't work. We made another miserable trip down to the lobby. Did I mention it took 15 minutes for the elevator to get to our floor? The only exits were emergency exits- no entrance exits?? Never even been in a hotel 6 where there are no stairs.

Finally get in our room... The stench was horrible- almost like a moldy, fertilizer smell. I had to literally comb the sheets to get rid of foreign hairs.

No hot water after 10 minutes in the shower, a housekeeping lady walking in on us with her key, and their "engineer" they sent up to check the espn that went out... could barely speak english. I would not recommend this hotel to a homeless person.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness, service, and value
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mclainanna
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed September 2, 2007

old hotel. rooms are small. very aged. hotel staff does ok job with cleaning. restaurant stinks.

plus side is location, location, location.

if you're not planning on spending much time in the actual hotel, the price is right....

• Stayed February 2005
NY
Reviewed August 28, 2007

On an overall basis, my stay at the Bahia Mar Beach Resort was a wonderful experience (well above average). The room was clean, the staff was friendly, courteous and extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel but, will advise you to look elsewhere when it comes to dining. I feel that they are a little overpriced with their choices on the menu and products in their restaurant and deli which is affiliated with the hotel. Other than that, I was a happy camper and plan on staying again at the Bahia Mar Beach Resort when I visit Ft. Lauderdale in the future.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank sjs9367
Florida
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I just wanted to post my opinion because there are mixed reviews by others.

We had a group of 13 heading to Lauderdale for a Bachelorette Party last weekend. We picked the perfect place to stay!

We check in with Troy, who was very nice. He upgraded our room to a marina/ocean view and got our rooms close together. We also got there at 12:00 and were able to check in 4 hours early! The entire staff was extremely helpful and pleasant.

Parking: It's $22 for valet which is pretty much the going rate at any place in Lauderdale downtown area.

Rooms: The beds were incredibly comfortable. I told my husband last night I want a down comfortor. Even the pillows were sweet. The rooms are basic and the bathrooms small. However, everything was clean and we had nice hot showers, lol.

Location: Awesome. Very close to Las Olas, Beachplace and the beach is right across the street. Also close to water taxi, which we always missed, darnit.

One thing: If you make a reservation, note that the rooms with balconies are the king bedrooms, not the ones with the double beds. We ended up getting one king room just so we could have a balcony, because it overlooked the marina and the ocean. Very nice.

I highly recommend it for the price and location. Would definitely return. I don't have the pictures downloaded yet but I will post them when I do.

• Liked — Friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends