“Not so bad as I had anticipated...”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #58 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
San Diego, California
“Not so bad as I had anticipated...”
Reviewed August 4, 2005

After getting a "great" deal from Priceline of $45 per night, I then read the reviews on this site and became very worried that I was getting into a place I would regret. Not to worry. while it may not be the 4 Seasons, it was certainly worth the price I paid. I like the location and the staff was very friendly. Tonight is my last night here as I'm leaving on a cruise tomorrow.

I arrived on Wed. evening. Was given a spacious room on the 4th floor of the Marina building with a full balcony (not many rooms have a balcony in this building) facing the marina with a view of the ocean. WAY better than I anticipated I would get.

I love the fact that it's just a short walk up the beach to get to the Sebastian Street beach (the gay beach) and that there were many choices of restaurants along the way. Being gay, but not wishing to "shell out" the $$$ to stay at one of the gay establishments, this worked out just fine.

I've never been to Southern Florida before, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of "walkability" or public transportation. I chose not to rent a car since the beach is easily accessable and the pool at the hotel is very nice. I utilized the fitness center each day and found it to be clean, fairly standard with what hotels offer.

I don't know why some of the other reviewers have been so harsh with this property. Would I stay here again? Perhaps. It would just depend on factors like: How long would I be here for? Will the hotel offer free wifi access in the rooms in the future? What other amenities will the new owners offer in the future?

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank SDmikel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midwest US
Reviewed August 2, 2005

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. When our party went, we thought it was still a 4-star hotel, but apparently they lost a star not too long ago. And it's very easy to see why once you stay there! I can't even begin to list all the problems we had with them, and to top it off, the staff was so incredibly rude that any problems that did arise seemed twice as bad because nobody would help.

Let's just start at the beginning. When we got there at 3, which was the check-in time we were told, we were rudely informed that check-in time was at 4 and we had to sit and wait. Once we got our room, we realized that they had given us two double beds instead of the queen size we had reserved. That would eventually turn out to be the least of our problems. The first night we were there we went to take showers to go out, and realized our drain stopper wouldn't stay open. So in order to take a shower, you ended up standing in a bath tub full of water. Yellow water to be precise, I'm not sure if that's the town or the hotel, but the water is definitely yellow. I felt like I was in a foreign country.

We also realized before our showers that they had given us no soap, shampoo, etc. We had to call and ask for some, and were rudely given a bag of toiletries about a half hour later. The second night we were there, I noticed that the sheets I had been sleeping on looked to be stained with urine. The next day after the cleaning people came, I checked to see if they'd changed the sheets, and sure enough they hadn't. I had to call housekeeping and ask to not have urine-stained sheets, and didn't even got an apology for it. Absolutely disgusting.

Other things that happened while we were there: the vending machine on our floor was broken, but there was no sign on it so it took our money. There was a large (vomit?) stain on the floor outside of our door from the second night on, and it was never cleaned. Our toilet broke, and they wouldn't call maintenance so we ended up fixing it ourselves. And to top off the stay there, the day we checked out, we found on our bill three $15 charges for valet parking, but we didn't even have a car with us.

The only positive things I can say about the place is that the air conditioners in the room worked great, and the beach view was excellent. But I'm sure you can get those two things at any other hotel right there on A1A, so it isn't worth bragging about. I was definitely disappointed with our stay, and would never go there again.

8 Thank KikiPeepers
mandie33
Reviewed July 31, 2005

We just came back from Bahia Mar Beach Resort, it was worst than a 1 star hotel. There were flies in our tower room. After we walked on the carpet barefoot for 2 mintues, the bottom of our feet turned to dark brown and had to be cleaned. The room has a bad smell also. We planned to stay longer but rushed to check out after 1 night and checked into another hotel. We will not go back.

5 Thank mandie33
Reviewed July 29, 2005

For our vacation this year, we booked our hotel through one of those well-known internet sites and was very excited when we got a room at a popular, ocean-front, beach resort in Ft. Lauderdale for only $45.00 a night! We had never been to Ft. Lauderdale and was looking forward to going.

A week or so before leaving, I went online to get some information about Ft. Lauderdale....things to do, places to eat, to shop etc..... While doing so, I came across the reviews on tripadvisor from previous stays at the Bahia Mar Beach Resort where we were going. After reading more bad, or not so good reviews than good ones, I got worried and sick to my stomach. My husband said for us not to form an opinion until we see for ourselves, so we decided to go on and deal with whatever. As soon as we got there, I began seeing that I had worried myself sick for nothing.

We arrived late on Friday night and walked into a lobby that was nicely decorated and clean. The guy at the front desk was extremely nice and he upgraded us to an ocean-front room on the 6th floor of the tower. That was more than I had expected already! The view was great and the room was nice as well. We had asked for a room with two beds and as far away from smoking as we could get and that is what we got. The bathroom was nice and big too. The balcony, however, was too small. You could only stand on it. No room for a chair or sitting. House cleaning could have been a little better at cleaning on some days. I guess it all depended on who you got. Some better than others. But over all, ok. The pool and pool area was fairly large and clean with plenty of chairs. The pool bar was good too. There is a large concrete walkway from the two buildings and pool to the beach. You have to use your room key to get back in, which I liked very much, seeing as how the resort does not have their own private beach and is located at a public beach and parking area. I would have much rather had a private beach myself, but our 4 kids loved it. You could walk across the walkway and down a few feet and you are in the middle of everything. You can walk to everything if you like. Parking at the hotel was $10.00 a day. The market deli is nice. You can get just about anything there. The internet service cost and the coffee shop didn't stay open long so we never got a chance to check it out. Would have been nice if it would have stayed open longer hours. The elevators weren't bad. They could have been a bit larger or maybe they need to put in a couple more. I wouldn't call it a 4 star...maybe a 3. It does seem like they were trying to improve on some things around there.

To sum it all up....I worried for nothing. I think we did good for our money!! We had a wonderful time at the Bahia Mar. We didn't want to come home......but then we never do when we go on vacation!

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 21, 2005

My husband travels to this area weekly for work. We stayed 4 nights at the Bahia Mar. We booked directly on their website and ask for 2 doubles, non smoking, marina view. We got marina view, smoking, but the hotel check in clerk said he was "upgrading" us and moving us to Oceanview and we also could see partial marina view. Mostly the commercial view of the marina, water taxi, group fishing trip boat, etc. We were on the 10th floor on the north side of the building. The good points were that our 21 yo daughters could walk across on the hotel's bridge over the highway to the really hopping club area and walk back safely and didn't have to drive anywhere. It also led across to the beach and you had to have your room key to use the bridge to come back. My other 11 yo daughter and I spent our time at the pool area. Nothing special, clean rectangular pool, poolside bar and food ordering, which was really nice. The bartender, I believe his name was Steve was the best part of our trip. He made great drinks, loved to sit around the bar and talk and made it a real resort type of feel. He made great frozen drinks from scratch also!! The rooms had small double beds and were extremely small. Only wetbar fridge, no fridge for us to use. Clean, but tub resurfacing was peeling off. The clerk said we were upgraded to a $220.00 room, but I would have been pi**** if we had stayed there and paid that for a $85.00 room! Nothing avail at this hotel after 9PM. Everything closes up, coffee bar never open, internet costs, everything extra at this hotel had a charge. Elevators trapped people between floors on two different occasions on two days while we were there. We had bad charges on our bill at check out but they rectified this and others who had the same bogus charges. It is also $10.00 a day to self park there. Don't know that we would stay there again - pretty boring overall considering all the activity up the beach a block.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

After reading many of the bad reviews that were listed below I was a little worried about the quality of my stay in Fort Lauderdale. First off let me start of by saying this. If you want to stay at a Four Seasons / Ritz Carlton type hotel then your going to pay top dollar for your reservation. But if your like me a budget traveler looking for the best rates then this hotel is for you. Upon arrival I was very impressed with the Hotel and it's grounds. The lobby was very clean, the staff was helpful, the pool area was great especially the pool bar and it's drinks, the fitness center was in good condition, the room was good (even though I was not in the tower but across @ the smaller building.) The beach access was nice - yes the beach is a public beach but I did not see any thing out of the norm there. Just people with friends and family enjoying their holiday @ the beach. All in all I would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to travel to Fort lauderdale it's a nice hotel with plenty of amenties that is not overpriced.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
U.k.
Reviewed July 1, 2005

I stayed in this Hotel 12 months previously and it was great,but when I returned this year the Hotel was unreconisable, it has plumetted. The corridors are filthy and the rooms not much better. They tried to put me in a room across from the Tower but I refuse to stay in it as it was filthy .A very nice Lady said she was not suprised that I had refused the room and got me a room in the tower which was only marginally better. They told me that the new owners would not invest any money in this place and I can only imagine that they have cut down on housekeeping staff. hence the filthy conditions.

• Stayed June 2005