“Ok rooms, Ok Pool, Adequate Gym, Great location near the beach!”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
San Salvador, El Salvador
“Ok rooms, Ok Pool, Adequate Gym, Great location near the beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

I booked this hotel because of its location. My hubby and I, are truly beach lovers!

Our overall experiencie was good, even though we had a very unpleasent incident when checking in. The front desk clerk that assited us told us that we didn´t have a reservation. She said reservation under my name was cancelled, and that the hotel was all booked and there was nothing she could do to help us.

Because we weren´t sure of our exact travel dates at first, I made 2 reservations with 8 weeks in advance. 1 with Agoda.com, and 1 with Booking.com (Both with different dates). When we knew for sure our dates for the trip, I proceeded to cancel the Agoda reservation, and remain with the Booking.com. reservation.

Four days before our arrival I even contacted BOOKING.COM to ask if the Hotel could let us do a 1 hour early check in and a 1 hour late check out. BOOKING responded that BAHIA MAR had agreed on letting us check in 1 hour early at no cost, but the late check out was subject to availability plus an extra fee.

Imagine our suprise and disgust, when I was told we didn´t have a reservation.
The lady at the front desk didn´t seem inclined to help us much, even when I showed the reservation papers, and email communication between BOOKING and myself 3 days prior confirming early check in. That is when I asked to talk to the manager.
The manager, a lady who was very polite, also said the system showed a cancelled reservation under my name. But after i showed her reservation papers, and the email communication mentioned above even confirming an early ckeck in, she took the time to go to the back office and call BOOKING.COM ( Thank Goodness for that!).

When she returned, she said it was a all a misunderstanding. Apparently, when the AGODA reservation was cancelled, the Hotel mistakenly cancelled the Booking.com reservation as well, beacuse it was under the same name... Or so they said... Go figure?
After explaining the error, she gave us key to our room, map to the hotel grounds,and two of the typical Double Tree Chocolate chip cookies.

Apart from that incident, we had a wonderful time. Rooms are clean, and adequate in terms of space and layout. Even though the Balcony was tiny, we enjoyed the view from the beach and the Marina.
Since we are beach lovers, we never used the pool, which seemed ok. However, hubby and I agreed, it is in need of some serious update... It looks like a pool made in the 80´s.

On the upside:
1. There is a Deli Market adjacent to the hotel, where you can buy anything. Very convenient!
2. The location is perfect: next to the beach and the Marina, and near a number of restaurants and bars.
3. We had rented a car, but noticed the trolley and Public transportation stop in front. Water taxi as well.
4. Room cleaning was good and always on time.
We never had issues about towels, slow elevators, or uncorfortable beds,( in fact pillows and duvet were good and very comfy)
5. Gym is good and adequate (Bigger and more complete than other hotels chains)
Courteous staff in restaurant, valet parking, and Boutique store

On the down side
1. WIFI is free but only available in common areas.
2. Self Parking $21 and Valet Parking $25
3. Small restaurant area
4. NO courtesy chairs / umbrellas on the Beach for guests. Everything is rented (Not a biggie for us since we love to sunbath and lay down with towels on the sand)

TIPS: Try to book a room with anticipation to get a good rate. Near the dates of our travel, I noticedin the internet the hotel rates were ridiculuously high. Definetely, Not worth it !

In sum, our experience was good. Rates were decent, and you cant´beat location.
After reading many reviews, hotel was much better than expected.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mel-Salaga
Patrick R, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to address your concerns. I apologize for the troubles you encountered through your stay with us. It is unfortunate that this incidents occurred you’re your reservation, however your comments and concerns allows us to pinpoint and address the individuals involved to help better our service and image of our brand and hotel.

I am happy to read that your overall experience was positive. Again, I apologize for any discomfort this may have caused and hope this does not hinder your overall impression of our location nor the Hilton Family of Hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jarrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

Had a lovely stay in this hotel the rooms are excellent really large and very clean.had a fab view of the beach and the marina.all front desk staff were pleasant and helpfull. Wish I could say the same for the porters who tried to insist we had valet parking when we refused we couldn't use a trolley for our luggage and they were very rude .there was a lovely pool with comfy sun beds and a nice tiki bar with great cocktails . Would certainly stay at this hotel again .

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building not in the annexe
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and our Reviewers with your feedback. I'm sorry for the service that you received with our Valet/Bellman Staff, I will make sure share your comments with the respective department Managers so other guest do not share this experience. I am happy to hear that you received the service that both you and I expect from Hilton with our Front Desk Staff.

Thank you for staying with Bahia Mar, we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Central Valley, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

There was no factor that stood out at the Bahia Mar. The room was adequate but not memorable. The ocean front view was not spectacular and obstructed by a lighted basketball court during the evening. The balcony was too small to sit out on or barely stand on. The hotel lounge was overpriced and offered no view. However, the bar service was exceptionally good. I was lead to believe that the water taxi was on the property, not true. It was off the premises by about a long block. Hotel was more south of the central Fort Lauderdale Beach area than I would have preferred. It was a long and hot walk to the center of activity. Yes, I was disappointed with my selection, however, I was able to overlook my disappointments by the excellent hospitality of the staff. The people made the difference here.

Room Tip: The ocean front room was disappointing. Perhaps a north or south view would over a better view of th...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for staying with the Bahia Mar and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am sad to hear that our facility fell short of your expectations. I am pleased to hear that you received the great service that both you and I expect from a Hilton Branded Hotel. Service is the backbone of our industry and our Team Members will be thrilled to hear that you received great service.

Thank you for choosing the Bahia Mar for your stay.
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

One piece of advice: don't ask the valet guys to arrange a taxi for you! We were meant to go to sawgrass mills mall and compared the prices with a few cab drivers in passing on the day before outside of the hotel.. All provided a pretty competitive rate.. But if for some reason on the day of your travel you can't step outside the hotel and need to take your cab from the porch, the valet guys will give you this story about how everyone else will charge you more or they don't have authorised papers etc and you should only travel with the company they have their tie-up with and whom they make commission out of!! We had to pay at least 20% extra because of this. Which is okay- but we were really put off by the way they handled it with all their lies!!
This gets confirmed when the drivers themselves tell you that if you take their cabs from outside the hotel they will charge you $70-80 (for 8 people) to go to the mall as opposed to the $100 that the hotel quotes!

Secondly.. Don't go by what booking.com etc say - they don't offer free wifi!!!

Third put off - the elevator is old rickety and painfully slow. Takes a minimum of 5 minutes to get from the reception to your room!

Quite a disappointing stay on most aspects!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Pallavi K
Patrick R, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Hello,

We're so sorry about the service concerns you encountered in regards to our suggestions about the cab transportation. We're addressing this with our valet team and appreciate that you brought this to our attention. We apologize for any confusion regarding our amenity offerings and we hope we can invite you back for a much more enjoyable stay.

Thank you for your valued feedback.
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

We stayed 14 days at this place. Staff is since but room service is really poor. They keep forgeting to vacum the carpet and keep forgetting to provide tawels. Even if wr keep giving a tip every day, room service is really poor. Also, we lost hot watter 4 times. This hotel is close to the the beach BUT this section of the beach is not the best: you won't feel safe in that area of the beach if you are with kids. Take note that you'll need to pay 21$ a day for the parking. Also, breakfast is expenssive (20$ in average). This is hotel is VERY old and needs tobe refreshed. We feel this hotel should be rated as a 2 stars and average price based on the service/ quality should not exceed 70$/night.

2 Thank Driss_Montreal
Hello,

We're sorry to hear about the service experience you had. Our staff works very hard to ensure guests are taken care of and we're doing our best to anticipate guest needs. I will personally make sure that your review is shared with our Operations Team so that we can ensure that the issues mentioned do not repeat.

Thank you again for your review and we hope that you'll consider staying with us again so we can make it right.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because of the proximity to the beach. The hotel did not have chairs or umbrellas, they were available to rent from the city at a high cost. $80 for 5 chairs and 1 umrella! The hotel itself was vey accomodating otherwise, no complaints regarding the hotel, just if you are expecting beach ammentities for this beachfront hotel, you will be dissapointed!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Paris, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Bahia Mar. The service/staff were extremly friendly and met all our needs. The location is perfect, directly across from beach! The only thing I would not give 5 star is the rooms. They are a little out to date and small, however we did not spend very much time in the room so it did not bother us. I went with my 2 year old son and husband. The fitness area is nice, we do CrossFit and they had a lot of CrossFit equipment. The hotel is also within walking distance from a lot of great places to eat and shop. I recommend Coconuts if you don't mind spending a little $. Overall, I would 100% stay at Bahia Mar again!

1 Thank Ashley W