“Great Spring Break Vacation!”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #55 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My grandmother and I decided to go to Florida, on a last minute spring break vacation. We both have never been to Florida and we were trying to decide where to stay along with hotels. The first night we stayed at the Hyatt pier 66 which when the shuttle takes you to the beach it actually drops you off at the Bahia Mar (which coincidence, that's where we booked our hotel for the rest of our stay) so that was a plus! It helped so we didn't have to be over priced for a taxi cab. Granted I wish they did have free shuttles going back and fourth to the airport because that would have been great, along with free wifi. They do give you a complimentary one day, but I think they should have had free wifi for guests in the room. If you were down in the lobby I guess it was free. The workers in the Breeze (I believe was the name) restaurant were amazing people! Along with the people who helped with luggage, and our housekeepers! Very good staff that attends to all your needs when you ask. I was down in that restaurant almost everyday getting a coke to drink and they usually just let it slide and just gave it to me since I was down there SO many times, which was very considerate. The room was great, I don't know what other people are talking about it being outdated or old. I loved the beds they were very comfy along with the view. I was a little nervous because I really wanted all ocean view, but we booked it for partial. When we arrived at our hotel it was a FANTASTIC view of the ocean PLUS the marina. Great view and you also got to see all the boats that I personally couldn't afford haha! The walkway is a little ways especially with my grandmas knee, but it was still a pleasant place to be. The walk up to Las Olas with a bunch of stores wasn't to far away and nice to be further down away from the spring breakers. A lot of people were complaining because of spring breakers, but really?! COME ON!! Its spring break? There is going to be a bunch of drunk college students. That wouldn't have bothered me anyways because I am a college student myself and if I came down with a bunch of friends I would have been drunk too. Great place to stay and I will be back!

Room Tip: Go to Holiday Park Everglades tour to see the Florida Everglades!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed at the Bahia Mar for a weekend in March. I loved the location and the amenities. The hotel is beautiful inside and out. I loved the walkway to the beach and the pool. The only complaints I had were that there were only 2 elevators for a very busy hotel. A book convention was going on and all the elevators were packed most of the day forcing hotel guests to squeeze in just to get off their floor. Also, our room was on the side of the hotel above where the trash truck came to pick up the dumpster. Every morning, it came VERY early to pick up and I was awoken by the beeping of the truck and the banging of the dumpster as it was unloaded into the truck. I was on the 6th floor and it sounded as if it were in the room with us. I understand that the trash needs to be dumped daily but would have appreciated it not so early in the morning!

Room Tip: I would advise a room on the side facing the ocean and on a higher floor to avoid the noise but also...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Buzziebee1963
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed at the bahia mar for spring break and it was in a great location, close to all the night life. However, the hotel charged extra for EVERYTHING! There was no free wifi, no free breakfast, if you wanted an extra room key, you were charged for it. As well, the room we stayed in the bathroom was HORRIBLE! The toilet did not flush, the shower water was yellow, and the tiles in the shower were cracked. The price of the hotel was not worth it for the quality received. As well, the staff was not very friendly or helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erica_A_Sawyer
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Small beds and rooms. 1 set of elevators very slow and small for such a big hotel. Stairs only go to the 2nd floor so you had to wait for a long time to catch a ride. Not what we expected as part of the Hilton. Older hotel trying to look new still has lots of work. Great staff

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank April L
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Great experience at this DoubleTree. Booked for business during Springbreak, and was worried about crowds. However, I was persently surprise. Hotel was fairly ladi back for the holiday week, staff upgraded me to "penthouse" suite as the room I booked wasn't ready. Overall great stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times and it is a decent hotel. The staff isn't over friendly but they do their job. The rooms are average but the beach and restaurants in the area are terrific. I recommend Coconuts restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed twice, two different rooms, one pre-cruise, the other post-cruise. Tower floor 4 and floor 8 with marina/beach views. Location was excellent, right across from the public access of Ft. Lauderdale Beach. But that was also the problem - it was crazy with spring break. Our college age daughter, also on spring, break, was with us. But I had forgotten about the insanity of thousands of college kids fueled by alcohol with no parents (not that I hadn't done same 30+ years ago). Car gridlock in front of hotel, loud, smelly (vomiting spring-breakers) and thousands of people all over. We feared the hotel would be an absolute nightmare and spent most of the first night trying to find a hotel further up the beach away from the crowds. All sold out. To the hotel's credit, and the Ft. Lauderdale curfew on noise (11p - 7a) and no alcohol on the beach policy (try enforcing that!) we were surprised that on both stays the hotel was mercifully quiet and we were not woken up by partying college kids.

On the downside - we paid $304 the first night with the cruise package. Package was supposed to include 2 free breakfasts, but they gave us 3, and free transport to airport, a $8 per person charge if taking the shuttle. Paid $255 the second stay because we had no package attached. So if you want a hotel, right close to the beach where the action is, a bridge to take you safely across the 4 lane road that runs along the beach, by shopping, the inter-coastal waterway, great location, this is your hotel.

However, and it's a big however, I thought the condition of the room was no better than a $59 / nite hotel along a freeway/turnpike. While the lobby area isn't bad, it's nothing spectacular. The halls / carpeting could do with some updating. Then the room? There's the $59/nite appearance. This hotel is showing its age. From the chipped and repainted (obviously many times) trim work to the aging tiles in the bathroom, worn porcelain of the tub/shower, orange spring covers on the mattress set looking faded/dingy, lack of curtains other than the plain white blackout style........I expected more from this hotel. But then, if they've got spring breakers in there the maintenance costs must be horrific. The elevators are simply the slowest I've ever been on, especially when fellow passengers are drunk college kids. We never could locate stairs as they would've been faster than the elevators. The only staircase we found was one way - out. And it ended up on the loading dock. We always try to take the stairs in a hotel for exercise. Another positive - the beds were outstanding. But why full instead of queen escapes me. The air handling unit? Old style, in the exterior wall. Heat, fan, AC. When we turned it on it smelled like mold but then we were in Florida. LOUD. Perhaps that's why we couldn't hear traffic or spring breakers - the fan/AC noise shut them all out. Great, loud, white noise. Slept very well. Then there's the small snack / restaurant / convenience store right on property. We paid to eat at the restaurant (overpriced for the quality of the food we ordered) but should've eaten at "All About Food" or some such name located right on the property. Small, but one could eat very well in there. Healthy too, or not, depending on your preference. It was not over run with spring breakers. You can wander all over as there is so much to do. We looked at the boats in the marina, walked the beach, attempted to walk to shops but too loud and crazy with the spring break crowd. Close to airport - maybe 4-5 miles. Shuttle is $8pp, taxi ran about $26. Would have been cheaper but the meter continued to run while we sat in the traffic jam from the spring breakers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side with views of the ocean and marina are nice, although don't look down as...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family