“Do not stay in the 4 story building”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #57 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed April 8, 2013

they put me in the 4 story building instead of the main tower and said it was an upgrade....like hell it was !!. the building was old with an extremely slow working elevator. The lighting levels in the lobby of my building was poor. felt like going into a cave almost, I could not take a shower for 12 hours because the hot water did not work...where does it take 12 hours to fix a hot water problem???

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank 255jamesR
bahiamar, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your guest room. I apologize that you did not enjoy your room type assignment and regret any inconvenience for the delay in hot water. We have addressed these with our maintenance staff. We strive to provide the best in service as well as amenities and I hope the next time you're in the area you would consider staying with us again.

marcos.borras@hilton.com

There are newer reviews for Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had intended to stay at the convention hotel for a week-long convention in Ft. Lauderdale, but it was already full. The location of the hotel was perfect, only a ten minute walk to my convention, and had I not been working so much the beach access and pool would have been a significant plus for the Bahia Mar. This hotel was about twenty percent cheaper than the convention rate at the other hotel, but the quality difference was amazing. This hotel definitely needs some sprucing up in the rooms. The light switch on entering the room wasn't connected to any light, the other lights in the room were plugged into a 3-way splitter that is likely a violation of fire codes, and in general the hotel looks aged. It appears that someone used an extra couple of coats of paint to update the room instead of sanding down the uneven areas of the walls and then re-painting. Also, one of the elevators (on the right as you face the elevator call button) had a terrible vibration/ noise upon descent from around the 10th floor down to the lobby. I was glad it didn't self destruct while I was in it. It appears there were a bunch of scratches in the elevators at some point in the past, so they did a "brushed metal" look that would have been nice had the swirls been evenly spaced. However, the elevators did function, although they were very slow.

As a part of my stay I had received free breakfast at the hotel. I only used it once since the staff was absolutely ignorant about food allergy issues and the last thing I need is to get sick while away from home. I therefore cannot actually rate the quality of the restaurant since they could not figure anything reasonable that was safe for me to eat. The sandwich and salad shop across the parking lot had lettuce that didn't look too fresh, and the pre-packaged items were expensive but sustained life for my first night there until I could get to a restaurant elsewhere. The prices for food are on par with other local places, I would recommend going down the street for nourishment. There are great places to eat in either direction.

I really would prefer to leave a better review, but even though I am getting reimbursed for the business travel it just didn't seem to be worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FlyingERDoc83
bahiamar, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for reaching out to share your recent convention stay with us via TripAdvisor. Please know that your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we will be incorporating your comments into our ongoing training and service updates to ensure we are doing our best to meet and exce3ed our guests' expectations. I apologize for the issues you encountered with breakfast and the condition of your guestroom and for the frustration this caused. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We didn't look at the reviews before we book our stay. Had we done that we would have specifically asked to be in the tower.

We checked in and were given a room across from the tower. All I can say is that I am dumbfounded that Hilton uses that building and attempts to sell it as a dble tree. Although very clean with new furnishings in line with that if the tower the building is no more than a low end motel. Ceilings are low, rooms small, black mold in the bathroom, rusty bathroom faucets, etc.

I will say, as soon as I complained, and with no hesitation from the from the front desk,I was given to a room in the tower as soon as one came available. It was the next day, but it did happen. The following day the manager sent us a letter with as small gift thanking us for letting them fix the problem. That went a long way in acknowledging the issue. I suppose there is only so much a general manager can do with what he's given.

Overall, the experience was great. The location was excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful, the hotel was clean and in good repair considering the buildings age and location directly on the water. I would definitely stay there again. With the caveat that I get a room in the tower.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Sunnict

I'm glad to hear that everything about your stay was what you expected both pre and post cruise, except for a few maintenance concerns. We appreciate your loyalty to us and only want the best for our guests. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us and we're addressing the slow elevator issues with our team. Please think of us again during your next cruise trip.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed in February with a group and didn't find that the hotel was well maintained. The rooms were in significant need of updating. We had 3 people in our group that had sopping wet carpets in their rooms and weren't given an option to move to another room. The hotel smelled moldy. The public printer to use for printing boarding passes didn't have ink for the 3 day stay we had, which I find unacceptable. How can a hotel run out of basic supplies? The maid took a packing box out of my room and threw it out (nowhere near the trash container) that had necessary supplies for me to send things home. This was a disaster and people are still complaining.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank PatriciaV538

We're just as disappointed to hear about your experience as you are. Thank you for alerting us to some of the issues you had during your stay and addressing them accordingly. Please know that your comfort, health and safety are one of our top priorities. Please call me at the number below so we can further discuss your experience. Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to speaking with you.

954-627-6303

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here as a group of 5 for 3 nights. Everything about it is very nice - access to the beach and pool very convenient and lots going on round about. There are activities in the marina on either side (Galss boat with Josh and Capt Bob was good) and the restaurants and shops are only 10 minutes away.
We had a North facing room on 8th floor and the view was nice as was the lack of noise. The staff are all really helpful - especially Ross @ the pool bar. As mentioned before, the lifts are a bit slow and an accessible staircase would help. Likewise parking @ $21 a day is a bit much as is the 18% gratuity added to everything. for these reasonds I'd have to just say very good.
I'd recommend the "All About Food" cafe - great food and choice plus free refills on coffee!

Room Tip: All about Food is the place to get breakfast and snacks.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is a true gem on Fort Lauderdale Beach. Super location, solid rooms and no fuss or pretense with a fab pool with direct beach access.

You will not have the luxury time in the sky that you would have at the pool at the W but overall the $$ per room is a steal and you cannot find a cleaner, nicer option on the beach, period.

I'm a HUGE fan. I have all of my friends stay here when my house is full. It is such a bargain for what you get. Fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The beach access and view are the selling features for this hotel. We stayed one night pre cruise and three nights post cruise. The beach access and view, the pool and fitness amenities, and the concierge were definitely with the stay. The rooms were nice size and bright but housekeeping and maintenance could be improved upon. As well, a major drawback to this facility is the SLOW elevators and inaccessible stairwell. My parents room was two floors above us and were unable to use stairs to get there but had to wait forever for an elevator with room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family