Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #58 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Aurora
“All That We Asked :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed there for the first time, week of Feb 19-23. Great view, great room and great staff. I had a few special requests that Kareen and Marcos took care of like a 5 star operation. Amenities are all close by, access to food/drink is very good. Breezes and All About Food cover all that you need for day and night refreshments. Beds are cozy and housekeeping is 5 star.
Thanks to Marcos and the staff for making our stay a first class experience.
Robert & Beth (Toronto-Detroit)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bahiamar, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Robert and Beth,

It was great having you as guests and we look forward to your return visit. Glad you enjoyed the amazing views from your juliette balcony!

Stay warm at home.

Marcos and Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was our second time at the Bahia Mar with my family and I am so glad we discovered this hotel. The hotel has easy access to the beach, which is connected by a walkway and the location is perfect. Great restaurants nearby and water taxi just steps away. Hotel management and staff are very courteous and welcoming and go above and beyond to meet the needs of their guests. I will definitely go back again!

• Stayed February 2013
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have vacationed many times along the "Strip" of Ft. Lauderdale's A1A. Although I have walked by the Bahia Mar Hotel as I strolled up and down the beach, I wondered what it would be like to stay there. There are many other hotels with more flash and luxury nearby but this property had me curious. It sits on the Marina not far from the Swimming Hall of Fame. It has a simple white exterior that glows in the night. There is definitely something nautical to the decor and design but not blatant, like the old Yankee Clipper down the road. There is a modest, classic look to this place. Perhaps that is what intrigued me in the first place. Why stay here? Turns out, this was one of the oldest hotel properties on the Strip. I always took note of the walkway that leads to the beach on one end and the upper tier pool of the hotel on the other. If anything, this alone is a selling point to stay at the hotel. The walkway allows easy access to one of the best recreation areas along the entire beach. When I knew I would be in Fort Lauderdale this past October (2012), it was an easy decision to finally give the Bahia Mar a try.
I booked a room in the main tower building with a sea view. I have stayed at more expensive hotels during this time, and also those in a more budget-minded price range, so I was curious to see how the experience would stack up. The rate was $189 per night, plus tax and parking fees, adding up to just under $500 for two nights! I booked online through the hotel's web site, and read many reviews both good and bad on Tripadvisor. So, how did Bahia Mar stack up?
After walking by this property dozens of times, this was the first time I would be driving to it. The hotel web site offered "self-parking" or valet parking. I arrived early, at about 2:00 PM and was pleased to find that my request for early check-in was no problem. Self parking was another matter. Pulling into the front of the lobby, I was greeted by a mess of cars. There was a boat show due to start in a couple of days and my attempt to self park simply led me to a chaotic clutter of cars. I drove into a restricted area and had to double back. I was frustrated to say the least. Having surrendered to the valet, I will say that she was extremely pleasant and helpful, even assuring my inflated stability ball and musical instruments were safely put onto a cart and brought to my room. I have read about the complimentary chocolate chip cookies given to guests upon check-in, and this was confirmed with a guilty chomp as I ascended the elevator. As many people have pointed out, the decor is somewhat outdated, with 1970's Floridian patterns and color schemes (think melon/orange and reds in the carpets and walls of the halls) but this was not a negative thing to my eyes.
My room was on an upper floor facing the beach. It was a spacious room with a great view but admittedly I felt it was lacking in other areas. As mentioned, this was an older building, and the design is of concrete slab floors with thin carpet and a basic square interior. The bed was ok, large and comfortable for the most part. The bathroom was small but the room just outside the bath area was large and had a safe. The furnishings were drab and the main source of any complaint I might have. The lighting was rather dim all around and the furniture literally looked like the kind you would find on a back patio outdoors. Plastic chairs and a glass round table (all that was missing was the umbrella!). No work space or proper place for a laptop (Wi-Fi was no problem). Any "balcony" was merely for show, and it looked like it needed repair. A small fridge was provided near the TV and dresser. I have stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott just up the road for a lot cheaper, and it had infinite more charm than the interior of the Bahia Mar's room, which I would call just "Functional". A place to lay your head between visits to the beach. Location is definitely this hotel's calling card.
Having said that, the rest of the hotel had plenty of good points. While I opted to eat off-site from the hotel, the Breezes Bar and Grill looked inviting enough, and is located in the spacious lobby not far from some in-house shopping stores. I found the hotel's gym on the upper tier by the pool and give it a definite thumbs-up. Well equipped and pleasant, the gym met any of my workout needs and was clean. The pool, while basic and small, sits on an upper deck by the walkway, inside a gated area and is inviting. A Tiki outdoor bar is in one corner and the overall vibe is private. Plenty of towels are offered for guests and the many lounges and chairs were a plus.
There were ample conference rooms and banquet areas on the upper floors not far from the pool. I was initially intrigued years ago by an upper banquet room visible from the main road. It sat atop a long exterior staircase and always looked occupied. I believe at that time it was simply a restaurant but is now used for meetings or catering affairs. A local Deli called All About Food sits on the outer lot of the hotel. It is a convenient place to grab quick refreshments and food.
Overall, I was pleased with the friendly check-in staff and valets. The location of the hotel can't be beat. The Nautical design of the building, with the connecting walkways and upper tier pool is quirky and pleasing. The room interior needs much improvement, especially the lighting and furnishings. For the price paid, I have certainly stayed in a better room elsewhere.The parking situation needs to be improved, especially when one is charged $19.00 a day! I know the hotel is striving to improve this with refurbishments so I would give it another try.

Room Tip: Definitely opt for a sea view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Craig H
Dear CraigH,

Your comments about your stay at our hotel made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the personal touches from staff and have personally thanked them for their hospitality. We will also be sure to keep your suggestions in mind as we make refresh updates. We hope to see you again soon. We'll have a fresh cookie waiting.

Kind regards,

Marcos Borras
marcos.borras@hilton.com
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was a great hotel with a great location. Had a bridge that went from the hotel to the beach, bypassing the busy street and the hassle of crossing it. The rooms were very nice and the staff was most pleasant and helpful. The pool was excellent with ice cold drinking water on hand. The views were wonderful. Got breakfast with our room and it was absolutely delicious. The hotel store was very reasonably priced and they also had a deli on hand, which was a little pricey but had a great selection. And as with all Doubletree Hotels, amazing cookies!! Would love to go again!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg,Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was there for a day a couple of years ago and it was wonderful - great staff, location, beds comfortable, rooms clean. Next week I am returning, this time with my 82 year old dad ( mom recently passed away and dad has been so sad since he lost his partner of 60 years ), my sister and nephew. I have already talked to the front desk and they promised me wonderful rooms with a great view. Will review again upon our return.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wishfulinwinnipeg
Killarney, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for two nights before a cruise. This is a lovely hotel but a bit out of the way for the beach bars at night. The hotel bar is good with good food. We didn't have breakfast here but there is a deli next door which is good. I would prefer the riverside hotel Las Olas as more restaurants and bars nearby

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Right accross from the beach with it's own walkway above the traffic, this property is nice but is not a resort. While there is a pool and beach access there really aren't many resort amenities. It is a short walk to some of the shops and restaurants along the beach so the location is good and it is right on a marina.

The pool area is small and there are not enough chairs, and they were constantly running out of towels.

All the staff just seemed to want to do there job and no one stepped above to make guests feel particularly welcomed.

Room Tip: Try for a beach or marina view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family