“Not a typical Doubletree at all, but very nice”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #57 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Burnaby, BC
“Not a typical Doubletree at all, but very nice”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is split up into a couple of buildings, and I was given a room facing the marina in the building opposite the lobby. The room was very well-equipped with a great view, and it was very quiet. The hotel restaurant area was nice, and the staff was very friendly at the bar. The skywalk across to the beach is quite convenient as well. There's also a great deli/store attached to the building I was staying in that was extremely convenient. If you can good a good rate on Priceline, you can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank BigTim78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed February 5, 2013

A group of us went down to Ft Lauderdale for the weekend from Chicago and chose to stay at Bahia Mar instead of on Las Olas. The only thing I enjoyed about this hotel was the location.

We requested all of our 3 rooms to be on the same floor and of course that wasn't the case. As soon as we checked in, we found that our a/c was not working. Maintenance came up to fix the a/c within 15 mins which I thought was great. Though it still wasn't as cold as my friend's room, but at least the a/c was now working and we were too tired to switch rooms. After unpacking everything, we went to put away some valuables into the safe and found it locked! Again, they had to send someone up to "unlock" our safe. They also have the smallest queen sized beds I've ever seen. They were pretty much full sized.

One of the girls went to take a shower, and we found that the water was extremely yellow. In addition, the drain was so clogged each time someone took a shower, we were literally standing in a puddle of water waiting to go down the drain. It was pretty gross.

To top everything, as I returned from a long walk in the early afternoon, I had bloody blisters on both of my feet from walking the whole day. I kindly asked the lady at the concierge for a few bandaids and she said to me, "I can only give you 2. If you want more, the gift shop is down the lobby." Seriously?? I am paying $250/night for a room and you can't give me a few bandaids?

Like I said, the only good thing about this hotel is the location especially if you are looking to go boating. I absolutely will not be returning and will not be recommending this place to my friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lidaliu
bahiamar, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Pickle335,

We appreciate that you chose to stay with us and your feedback is incredibly important. I'm terribly sorry to hear about the maintenance problems you encountered and I'm reviewing these inconsistencies with our team. I can assure you the plumbing and thermostat issues have been addressed and apologize for the inconvenience. Please direct message me your contact information so I can personally apologize. We hope that we'll have another opportunity to serve you and show you our true hospitality.

Marcos Borras
marcos.borras@hilton.com
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We enjoyed staying at this hotel.Very friendly staff.
The hotel was close to everything.
We had a Beautiful view from our room to marina and ocean.
We had absolutely no complaints.
I recommend this hotel for everyone.
If we are ever in Fort Lauderdale again,we will be staying at
the Bahia Mar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kicsieri
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed for five days, the location is really great, close to everything. I had a wonderful view from my room. Even though there is no room service, there is a microwave in the room, which is very spacious, and a coffee/tea maker. There is also a food store over the street, where you can pick up most things. There is a lovely pool area, actually everything that one needs, and the prices for the rooms are very reasonable. I can really recommend this hotel, with friendly staff.

Room Tip: I was in room 1507, excellent view, and I found it perfect
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vicks277
bahiamar, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Vicks277,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others; we are glad you enjoyed your stay, found the location to be great and our amenities convenient.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Marcos Borras
marcos.borras@hilton.com
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My daughter and I always enjoy spending the week before Christmas at the hotel. The pool is wonderful and much time is spent enjoying it! Since I am of Swedish descent, I particularly like staying at the hotel during the holiday because so many people from Sweden are there, also. The location of this hotel is great because everything you'd need or want is within a reasonable waling distance. The customer service is exemplary. There had been an error regarding the reservation (perhaps mine, perhaps theirs) and not only did they not charge me for the earlier two days but they upgraded us to a room in the tower - cannot expect anything better than that!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DrLynnBrown
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The marina and ocean view from our room was beautiful. The food in the bar and grill was quite good. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, there were several negatives. The internet connection was free but very unreliable. The maid didn't come back when I turned her away one morning. The elevator has got to be one of the slowest ones I've ever seen.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P D
Springfield Illinois
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel three days before a cruise. Older property not a typical Dubletree. Quiet, clean and fairly priced. Near many restaurants & beach type shops. Easy access to the beach across an overpass walkway. The have a great pool area with a nice bar. The workout room oerlooking the pool deck was open but torn up for renovation. Some equipment not accessable and the rest rooms were closed and power tools made it really noisey. The water cooler did not despense water. If I had know this I would have stayed elsewhere as there are many choises in the area. Don't order bar food, specifically wings, in the middle of the afternoon. The ones we got were not edible and had obviously been sitting under a heatlamp for a long time. They were horrible.
Breakfast was fine and the dining room service good. They kept the food area well supplied. The wait-staff were all friendly and attentive.
Because it is an older design there are no balconies which was a bummer.
It cost about $12.00 to cab to the port. Don't pay for the higher priced shuttles.
It was not too bad but we won't stay there again just because there are so many choises in the area.

Room Tip: Well of course you want to be high up looking directly at the beach. You will get a bit of street no...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple