Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #57 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Minnesota
“pleased with stay”
Reviewed March 22, 2008

My family and I booked this hotel after returning to Fort Lauderdale from a cruise. I must say the hotel staff were very accomodating throughout our stay. We arrived to the hotel at 10am and had no problems checking in early to our room. The location was excellent and we loved the short walk to the ocean. The deli market was very convenient which was attached to the hotel. The bar at the pool served generous portions and were fair priced.
I was hesitant to book with this hotel, but was completely satisfied with our stay. It is not a five star hotel;but we did not pay for a five star hotel. The rooms could use a little upgrading, but were happy with the room overall. As a family, we will definitely return to this hotel.

• Liked — location, friendly service
  • Disliked — rooms needs slight upgrading
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank sheyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I was so disappointed in my stay at the Bahia Mar. We requested a room with a balcony & were told that none were available. I was told in a slighty rude manner that it was only a request & they could not always accommidate requests. That is understandable, but they said to call down every morning to see if one was available. We asked if they could just put it in their system to call us when one became available. "NO". I was confused as to why they would not know when one would be available. Don't they know what room is booked for what time frame? The room itself was in serious need of an overhaul. The carpet was torn & seemed very dirty. I wore shoe's in the room the entire time. Room service has a very limited selection. Nothing really for dinner if you wanted to eat in your room. When I ordered breakfast of eggs & toast, it showed up luke warm. The furniture was pretty run down with pieces falling off. The service in the downstairs dinning area was lacking. We decided to check out early due to our dissapointment in our stay. We were lucky to be able to find other accommidations. Later in the afternoon of check out, I realized that I left a garment on the back of the bathroom door. We called & were told that it was found & it would be left at the front desk for pick up. When I went back the next day, it was not found at the front desk & I was sent to the bowels of the hotel to the security office. No security officer was there & it took almost a half hour for him to show up. He couldn't find it & I was sent back to the front desk. After a rude front desk employee said he didn't know where it was, a much friendlier front desk employee searched a little harder & it was right next to the first rude front desk employee. The only nice things about our stay is the convenient location, the friendly maid service, and the friendly bar staff. I highly recommend finding another hotel. It is a slight step up from a seedy motel. Really not worth the price.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The room & the majority of the staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lthines57
dublin
Reviewed March 12, 2008

stayed in hotel for 4 days and could not wait to leave, maids came into room even thou there was " do not disturb" sign on door ... maids banged door with hoover on regular basis ...forgot to bring breakfast to room ...when i rang down staff said they forgot but will be with me in 2 minutes , it was except i ordered boiled eggs when food arrived it seemed the eggs were shown to hot water only ( i believe if i had ate same i would have ended up in hospital ). desk staff on 3 occosions could not / did not know how to re code the key to the room..... 11-00pm and bar closes when i insisted on a drink i was given it in a plastic glass !!!!i am writing to the manager about all this and indeed i will be writing to every paper in ireland advising people not to go to or stay in this hotel

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank pocolive
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I booked this hotel for my finace and I to stay at prior to going on a cruise, as we had a few extra days in Fort Lauderdale. From the moment we arrived there were nothing but problems with the front desk. First, as per the hotel instructions, I called the day before to request an early check in. While I understand that this can't always be accommodated, I certainly didn't expect that we would then be unable to check in at the appointed check-in time, which was 3:00pm. When we were able to finally check-in well after 4:00pm, I was told that the ocean-front room I had reserved would not be available at that time. I was not told why it was not available, only that if I wanted to "wait and see" if it would become available soon, I could. I opted not to wait and then was told I could have an ocean-view room at a lower rate. Having discussed the room options at booking time, I knew that the rate for the ocean-view was lower, however, at check in time, they were quoting a higher rate than what I was told during the reservation process. When I continued to question the rate and stated it was not the amount I remembered from when I made the reservacation, the front desk person went to check with the manager, who confirmed that I was correct regarding the rate, and would honor the rate. Once we arrived in our room, it was indeed a beautiful room with a king size bed (that was very comfortable), although in hindsight, I would not say it was worth the price we paid. When it was time to check out, I reviewed the bill that was placed under our door. I noted that we had been charged us for an extra night and had been charged an extra $10.00 in the downstairs eating area. I called the front desk and was told they would correct it and deliver a new bill to our room shortly so we could check out. We prepared to leave and after almost two hours we did receive a corrected bill, again slipped under our door. I reviewed it again and the extra $10.00 charge had not been removed. Now running short on time, I decided to address this at the front desk. At the front desk, they removed the $10.00 charge and prepared the bill for our check out. As they had both mine and my finace's credit card accounts I ask them to charge all charges to my card and not to my finace's. They said that would be no problem. I signed the appropriate receipts, which were charged to my card and we left. Two days later, while aboard our cruise ship, I did not see the hotel charge on my account so my finace logged onto his account (with the same credit issuer) and noticed that his account had been charged. Now, unable to correct it as we had to phone service, we had to shift our financial plans around for the rest of our trip. We figure, okay, pain the butt, but no problem. Wrong!! At the end of our cruise, we are preparing to pay for some items and find out my card is coming up short -- of course, the hotel had now removed the charges from my finace's card and put them on mine! We figure, okay, it's straight now and we just won't stay there again. Wrong!! We are now off our cruise ship and staying once again in the Ft. Lauderdale area, however, NOT at the Bahia Mar when we find out they once again went into my finace's account and put a hold on another amount to be put through. Finally, on our last day in Florida, the Bahia Mar corrected all the billing to my account and things were straightened out, although not after causing us to move our finances around to accommodate their continued billing problems and causing us stress over the situation! While the bed was comfortable, the hotel was very close to the beach, and the people we met were wonderful, we would not stay at the Bahia Mar ever again!! We found out we can do better and receive better customer service at one of the smaller hotels in the area and still be close to the beach and within walking distance to stores and restaurants.

• Liked — Close to the beach and comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — Front desk service and billling problems.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adolphin2005
pittsburgh PA
Reviewed March 12, 2008

The Bahia Mar is fantastic. There are two buildings: the tower, and a four floor property. Although we stayed in the smaller property, it was very clean for an older hotel. The beach is 50 yards from the hotel, accessible by their own walkway. Service was excellent. The deli was convenient for fresh, delicious sandwiches, drinks, baked goods - you name it! Beach place (tourist area) is a short walk away, as well as Las Olas shops which are a short cab drive away. Ask about the winter getaway package....they will actually give you a 75 dollar tab for free food and drinks while you are there! We ate for free most days!!! Will go back soon.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scranton, PA
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My boyfriend and I have recently stayed at the Bahia Mar for 4 consecutive nights. I hadn't been on vacation in over 5 years, so it was important that everything went smoothly. The Bahia Mar made our trip unbelievable. We booked an Ocean Front room with a King size bed. The view was amazing. The balcony is only a step out balcony. It is not large enough to bring a chair out on, but still a great feature.

When we arrived, they didn't have a room with a king size bed. So they put us in a room with two double beds. However, the next day, they were kind enough to upgrade us to a suite on the 16th floor, which was even more beautiful. They offered a room on a lower floor than the one we were already on and we declined. So they wouldn't stop trying to help until we were happy.

Both rooms were very clean and comfortable. The beds are more comfortable then the one I have at home. It is not a 5 star hotel, so of course there were minor things like the paint being chipped a little bit in the tub. But it is to be expected for the price. Overall, they are in a good shape and very clean.

The food was not overpriced. It was priced like many of the surrounding restaurants for travelers. Both the restaurant inside and pool side prices ranged from 9-18 a plate. Drinks of course are expensive. ($9 for a margarita, 5 for a beer)

Every person who worked there was extremely helpful and kind. If you need anything, whether transportation, a place to eat or just suggestions of what to do, they are there to help!

One complaint: we tried to rent a movie one night and there was a problem with our TV. We could watch every channel, but it wouldn't let us rent movies. When we called the front desk, they couldn't do anything until the next day because the technician was out. Of course, by then we didn't care to watch a movie anymore. But even in this matter, they were very helpful and kind.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone! It is more of a laid back place. Not a "spring break" hot spot. Although, there weren't many families with children either. It was very relaxed.

• Liked — location, the view and the staff
  • Disliked — minor room problems
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed March 11, 2008

If you're looking for a reasonable price, this is the place to stay. The rooms are on the small side, but the beds are very comfortable, and this is a decent enough hotel to lay your head down in. The bathtub had some missing surface area (paint?), and the rooms have no refrigerator (a turn off for somebody that likes milk in their coffee in the morning and an occasional beer while on vacation). The actual lobby and front desk areas are very nice, and the pool side bar with a view of the marina was very nice, but service at the bar made me wonder if I had worn my invisiblity shirt or something. The walkway across the street to the beach is a big bonus to avoid carting your stuff through traffic, and the deli nearby is also nicely stocked, but very overpriced (think 6" coldcut sub = $11.00). The balcony they lead you believe allows you to enjoy the ocean view isn't large enough to do anything but stand up on, so chairs aren't necessary. As fas as location, this is fairly close to several restaurants and bars in walking distance. The water taxi everybody raves about is strictly for the view, due to the fact it leaves you at each stop for as long as 1 hour before the boat returns, so it doesn't work very well for bar hoppers. Regardless, this still rates as a fairly inexpensive way to see the sights and get to enjoy a somewhat overpriced area of Florida.

Stayed February 2008