“Really enjoyed my one night stay”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I booked a stay at the Habor Beach Marriott after a Caribbean cruise as I wanted some time to decompress after a week of pamering before starting the journey home which would be a full day of flying with connections. This hotel more than met my expectations and allowed me to fully wind down in style.

I was assigned room 814 which is a king bed room with a view of the intercostal waterway so better than a lower floor room with no view at all. I would imagine ocean view rooms come at quite a premium but since I wasn't planning to be in my room much wasn't about to pay that upgrade. There is small balcony with two chairs and I could see it would be pleasant to spend some time there but I opted to drop by stuff off and explore the hotel first. It was nice they let me check in early as I arrived from the cruise ship around 10 am and was hoping I could get into my room early and they obliged.

The beach is a few levels down and you can walk out a couple of different ways to the sand including taking the route via the pool. Having been to several luxury hotels I was impressed with the pool at this Marriott as it is a decent size and set in a lush plam tree grove with lots of lush bushes & hedges to give it a tropical feel. The loungers are the nicer, newer ones not the cheap plastic ones and I settled down for an afternoon of suntanning and relaxing between dips in the pool. There is bar service from waiters who come by every half hour or so and you can charge it to your room, though prices are fairly steep. The 3 beers I consumed in 3-4 hours with tip wound up to around $25 but I suppose it goes with the location and I liked the personable service the waiters provided.
The beach is right in front of the hotel and it is a nice wide, sandy stretch though didn't swim in the ocean. There are little covered lounge chair umbrellas you can rent here for the day if you felt like spending the day at the beach rather than the pool.

I felt like eating off site afterlooking at the hotel restaurant menu and it is a short walk down the road that runs parallel to the beach to find a few convenience stores, restaurants and souvenir stores.

I would've liked to have slept in as the bed was that comfortable but had a very early flight so was checked out by 5 am and caught a cab to Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale Airport. All the staff I came in conect with were very friendly and willing to answer the few questions I had so can only applaud the level of service I experienced. I'd return he either before or after another cruise at the right price as this is a very good luxury beachfront hotel but would likely stay elsewhere if all I could find was regular rates which I'm sure are in the $300-$400 range per night. If anyone is curious the cab right from the cruise pier to the hotel was around $16 while the ride to the airport the next morning was a little less though it was before dawn and so very little traffic on the streets.

Last piece of info was Marriott Reward members get 10% off at the hotel gift shop and surprisingly the pricing wasn't outrageous compared to off-site shops I checked out while sightseeing the neighborhood.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank tcook052

Reviewed February 18, 2011

A beautiful property, up to date with a beautiful large beach and pool . Well manicured grounds with beautiful vegetation. The beautiful lobby is condusive to relaxing, playing board games and using your computer. Bar and music in the connected lounge make it a place you want to hang out.My only complaints are the 25.00 self park charge per day, internet access in room is 13.00 per day and drinks and restraunts are very expensive.I would venture out to the many good restraunts in the area among them the casablanca cafe,Aruba restraunt and for breakfast a french cafe on los olas blvd delicious and very good value ,ambience,many other outdoor cafes on the boardwalk that are more reasonable. For more reasonable shopping shop on the boardwalk where you can find brand name bathing suits including Tommy Bahama, large selection many times for up to 40% off. They are willing to do some bargaining!
For more exclusive shopping at higher prices shop the los olas blvd shopping area and eating areas are nice.
Staff was very nice at the hotel.
Starbucks in Lobby and would recommend getting sandwiches and salads there rather than restraunts.Weather was good for this time of year...70's.
Many spa services available and nice fitness area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank truman56
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We stayed here for four days, during which time Mother Nature wasn't very cooperative. We would have enjoyed our stay more if the sun had come out for more than a few hours (once), but that isn't the resort's fault. The resort grounds are lovely with lots of plants and flowers, a waterfall, and of course, it's right on the ocean. We enjoyed the spa very much with its private pool, as well as the resort restaurants; there is also a Starbucks off the lobby. Wifi is free in the lobby, which has plenty of comfortable sofas and chairs. My only complaint is that the resort is supposed to be a smoke-free facility, but our next-door neighbors seemed to be smoking 24/7 as the smell of smoke was very strong in our room. The front desk didn't seem particularly inclined to do anything about it and said they couldn't move us because the resort was full. The walls were also rather thin, but aside from that and the smell of cigarette smoke, the room was nice with a large balcony overlooking the ocean. The hotel is very close to the cruise port, so this would be a very convenient place to stay in that regard.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights at this Marriott to get away from the cold weather in Atlanta and to celebrate my husband's birthday. From the moment we checked in we were greated with friendly helpful staff members. Since we are Marriott rewards customers our room was upgraded to an ocean front room. We had the choice of a room with two double beds on a higher floor or a king size bed on a lower floor. We chose the higher floor and the beds were very comfortable, the view was amazing. The grounds and pool at this resort are absolutely beautiful. The pool staff has cookies and lemonade everyday if you are sitting around the pool. The first day we were there we were offered frozen grapes. Since it was very hot, we thought this was such a nice gesture. I had mentioned to the front desk person our reason for visiting Ft. Lauderdale (my husband's birthday)and later in the day room service delivered a dessert tray with cupcakes and "Happy Birthday" written on the tray. We thought this was such a nice touch. The concierge service was very helpful with suggestions for dinner and where to go if we wanted to leave the resort. I want to say a very special thank you to "Kay" who had dessert delivered to us at the Chart House on my husbands birthday. I think this went above and beyond what a typical hotel would do for its guests. I can't imagine anybody not enjoying themselves at this resort. Unlike most of the hotels in Ft. Lauderdale this hotel is right on the beach as opposed to being across the street. If you like all of the frantic action, you can be there in just a short walk or you can take advantage of the less frantic nature of this beautiful resort. I would defintely recommend staying here to anybody looking for a wonderful beach experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
HarborBeachMarriott, Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2011

Thank you for your kind words - we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed February 9, 2011

This hotel provided everything we were after from great ocean views to impeccable service and attention. I was a bit concerned after readind some reviews but did not experience any of the issues mentioned. The staff was great. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Second year in a row at Harbor Beach and had a blast. Great food, drinks, and staff. Had a great time and will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I even loved the music that was playing poolside...perfect in every way. Also spectacular to have double loungers poolside.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple