“Superb Beach Location Near Airport and Cruise Ship Basin”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just returned from third annual business convention at this location. The beach and the gym get five stars. The beach is private, wide and offers jet ski and parasailing. The pool area is large and inviting. My room was generally clean, however, there was trash behind the door for three days (there when I arrived). My bed was very comfortable. The convention rooms were large, well lit and comfortable. Be mindful of the high prices which can be irritating. Daily internet rates are $12.95, parking is $25 per day, drinks are very high ($8 for a beer on the beach). Food in the resort restaurants are nothing special and pricey. If you are cost conscious I highly recommend stopping on your way in at a grocery store etc. for drinks, beer and snacks. I also suggest dining at nearby restaurants not at the hotel.

Room Tip: unless you want a view overlooking the roof and hotel front, go ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MarkS719
Write a ReviewReviews (3,062)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

As part of a convention group, I experienced a first rate stay at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. The room was comfortable and clean and the view from the balcony was astonishing. I am far from an early riser, but I forced myself to get up early every morning to watch the sunrise outside my window. The hotel pool was amazing and the beach was relaxing and clean. The hotel staff was fantastic and they took care of every request I made to make my stay perfect. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling to Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Location is fantastic, right on the beach. Common areas are bright and clean. Spa is very clean, if a bit dated. Spa services were very good. Poolside "bungalows" were very nice and the poolside service was excellent. Pool food was what should be expected, but acceptable. Beachside cabanas were super convenient and private. Beach was wide and food and beverage service was frequent and good. Rooms were large, bright and clean along with being well serviced.
Now, to the front desk. I was at the hotel on business and used my business visa. Apparently they had some issues with the normal fraud protection procedures that my bank uses. My card was repeatedly charged on the same terminal within minutes that the bank assumed were fraudulent charges. I would have no issues of any kind if it happened once, or even twice. I spoke to front desk staff repeatedly and they resolved the charging errors as I checked with the bank and they informed me the error was not on their end. After the third time I was embarrassed by their error it reached the point I felt was unacceptable. I spoke to managers at the front desk repeatedly, none of them passed along the information to the next manager so I had to relive the ordeal several times. The rest of my travel party did get some amusement from the entire fiasco so it wasn't a total loss, but the service from the front desk staff regarding this issue was abysmal. The most ironic thing was they charged my card for the total balance due with no issues the morning before i checked out, so I guess when they really want to get the funds they can. Very disappointing and I would most likely find another place in the area to stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank cjsmithnj
Reviewed October 2, 2013

As soon as we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly valet. Once we got to the front desk (the Elite check in was closed) we were again greeted by a friendly front desk clerk who realized I was an Elite member and could have not been more accommodating. She upgraded us to a Ocean front room. The rooms are small but clean. The pool is large and the once you walk into the Spa you almost feel transformed just by the fragrance alone. Loved using all the Spa facilities for the day including the private spa pool. The restaurant 3030 is fabulous. Had a great meal and again the staff could not be more accommodating. As usual you can always count on a Marriott or a Ritz Carlton

Room Tip: Make a Spa appointment and stay at the Spa pool for the day. Much more private and comfortable cush...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2013

When we arrived, the front desk lady asked if we were celebrating anything and we just had our anniversary, so she said great, here's a treat for you - oceanfront room! Wow - it was great. Then so was the chocolate dipped strawberries that came to our room 30 minutes later with congrats from the staff. The restaurants on site were terrific, the staff always helpful, and rooms were quiet and comfortable. Thanks for making this a memorable stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

about people who stay here for 15-20 years running. It's one of the best Marriotts in the world and it needs to be because it's a favorite of the Marriott family according to their book which is also on sale in the really good gift shop. The staff, particularly Victor the Brazilian bellman, are first rate and there's nothing at all wrong with the property. The problem i think is with so many guests, quality control is a problem, mattress slides back and forth off box springs, restaurant isn't open when it's supposed to be and worst of all, water comes out brown, has to be they say because of local sediments, surely there's some way to fix that, hope so. They call constantly to see if you're ok but on these things, there's no improvement. Hope to go back someday.

Room Tip: not sure it helps to wait for a better room in terms of time of day you check in, just take whatever...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed in September 2013 and had a great time. We were upgraded to a beautiful ocean front room that overlooked the beach. On the weekend we watched the cruise ships set sail from our balcony. Room was clean updated and ac worked great(no musty smell that seems to prevail in Florida hotels). It was big enough for a bed and mini loveseat that appeared to fold out into a bed. Well stocked mini fridge and bar if you became desperate enough to pay the outrageous prices. Speaking of outrageous prices, eating here is not cheap. The breakfast buffet at Riva downstairs seemed to be the best deal at a whopping $26 per person. There is also a starbucks in the lobby where you can score a muffin or oatmeal for around $4 but other than that you're looking at expensive food. Expensive small and fancy. Uhh... We're Midwest people and it doesn't work for us. Even the kid meal Kraft Mac and Cheese was $12. (Yes the menu says Kraft :)) I was glad the kids were not with us for this trip. Eating elsewhere also posed some challenges due to location. The hotel is right on the beach, but off the main drag. Perfect for more of a private location, but tougher to access what you need when you don't have a car. The best thing we found was the trolley. For 50 cents the trolley takes you all the way down the beach all the way back in a loop. You can even ride all day for 2-3 dollars. This trolley takes you past at least 2 Publix grocery stores if you want to stock up on cheap snacks for the room. Right on the main beach drag of this trolley is a restaurant called Da Big Kahuna, fantastic view of ocean from their 3rd story patio. Food okay, mixed drinks weak so stick with beer. The view is great though and their is a Hooters right next to this on the 3rd floor. Both overlook the ocean. We also enjoyed Tailgaters and Coconuts that are both on the trolley loop. The trolley driver will drop you off right at the restaurant you tell them you want. (Wish we had known that the first day :)) As far as the spa. It was wonderful. Supposedly in the top 100 of the world. I had a Swedish massage and scalp massage. FYI. The spa is only for members or those receiving a treatment on that day. I believe you can pay around $30 per day per person just to access the spa amenities if you are a guest at the Marriot. You get a robe and spa slippers as well as a locker when you arrive. I found the robe to need a bit of fabric softener, but it was clean nice to have while waiting for treatments etc. My massages were okay, although I prefer the massage I get from my local person. I had a coupon so it only cost me $99 plus the automatic 20 percent gratuity. I would have been disappointed if I had paid their normal prices. The spa has its own private pool located on a tier above the regular pool and so private that I didn't even know it was up there until the day I had my massages. The pool is small, private and the best part is, there was music underwater. That was pretty cool. As far as the regular pool, it was big, and perfect temperature. It was nicely chlorinated, not too much, but clean. Quite perfect as far as temperature. The pool tiles on the sides looked like they needed some repairs, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the pool area. There were plenty of chairs and little flags to put up if you wanted to order drinks or food. There were 2 hot tubs, one was under repair during our stay. Overall, nice place for an adult getaway. I would not want to vacation here with hungry kids though. :)

Room Tip: We were oceanfront in room 737. On our floor it seemed that the ocean front rooms were odd numbers a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business