“Great experience with great staff”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Before leaving for a cruise my family and I stayed at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort for two days. It was a great way to start our vacation.This hotel is awesome. Great amenities that include a pool, beach access, and an awesome fitness room. We love the hotel, the restaurants and the entire staff. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank B L

Reviewed July 29, 2013

For starters, I'm super particular and specific about hotels. My husband and I get away once a year without our three kids so making sure it's a place we can relax is important as we spend a majority of our time by the pool, resting or beach.

Let me first start:
Check in on Friday was super busy but not long getting our room lined up. We asked for a quieter room away from ice machines and elevators but the availability wasn't good as there was a group if 400 girls here for the weekend from Argentina. Yikes! We always purchase a small box when we travel anyways so surpassingly I haven't been disturbed or waken from sleep or naps due to noise. Also, Saturday morning there was a huge wedding outside, Muslim or Indian and they had super loud music. With the fan, we didn't even realize it until we were up and walked out on balcony.

Pool is big but not like Cancun big. LOTS of kids during weekends but honestly it didn't bother us much. TIP: Get a chair on west side on deeper end of pool. You'll have less families on that side bc of depth of pool. We got there at different times but never had to worry about a seat. They have cool flags you put up for food. Expect to wait but waitstaff is tremendous and eager to help. Downside, I saw a lot of hair on concrete when walking around pool. It was really gross actually and some spots looked like someone lost their weave! Yuck. I could live without that.

Water is yummy and by towels before you walk down to pool. Music could be loader too. It was on during weekend really low and then not on Monday. Not sure what that was about.

Rooms- descent size, balcony is great for chilling out. We were on 7th floor. Could only see pool a little but ocean view was great. No fridges in room but are available for free, by request and availability. We got ours The day after checking in. Good especially if you have kids and need milk or something or DON'T have the kids and want to stash the beer and wine. :) Beds and Mattress are great. Not too hard which is often the case a lot of other place so if your like me and you love sleep and search for places with softer beds, this isn't a Westin Heavenly bed but its still nice and comfy.

Beach is amazing! We have stayed at the Westin in Hollywood twice now and love it but they charge for chairs by ocean and that's just ridiculous to me. Here, it's first come, first served and there's a ton of chairs. Ocean guys are super nice and helpful. There's a giant trampoline, actually 2-3 of them in ocean you can use...not sure if they're free or cost something though. Jet ski rental, banana boa, kayaking, etc. all on sight. Lots of sand bars too.

Staff- I haven't met a bad staffer yet. They're all really friendly. Starbucks is located downstairs which is a nice extra treat. The ONLY complaint I'd say is they lack a store. They have two little stores and only one has a small...and I mean SMALL options for food and drinks, snacks. I'd expand that and make it a bigger spot for food munchies, etc, for on the go people heading to the pool or beach. The Westin in Hollywood has an awesome Starbucks and then store too with an abundance of options for fast breakfast and lunch options. (Wrapped sandwiches, oatmeal WITH microwaves, cereal, etc.)

Other than that, we have 3 more days here and I'm looking forward to more relaxation.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room away from elevators or ice machine. Higher the better, ocean and pool views. But...
1  Thank Becca B
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed for five days and had wonderful experience. This hotel is a beautiful resort on a large stretch of beautiful beach. From the large pool complete with options for cabanas, lounge beds or ordinary beach chaises it was a great experience. We had lunch and drinks served poolside. There are several restaurants available, as well as Starbucks in the lobby so all your needs can be met without ever leaving the resort. We did leave and were able to walk five to ten minutes to some local casual restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale that we enjoyed. There are couches and firepits off the lobby area overlooking the beach and ocean. A good place to enjoy your coffee or your cocktail. A lovely stay for our mini get away. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We finally arrived in Fort Lauderdale for the last leg of a nine day vacation. Fort Lauderdale certainly was not what I expected. It is tight, very busy and visually unappealing. So upon check in there were screaming kids and people everywhere. Children were playing soccer in the lobby. I was hit with a ball and finally a hotel employee asked the mother to control her children. The room was not ready and to my surprise I was given a 75.00 credit. I'll take that. Then miraculously a room was available and was an upgrade. So no credit but an upgrade. I will take that. As we attempt to maneuver luggage through hoards of people in the lobby we get to the elevator and what. There was a traffic controller at the elevators. That's right! There was a line that wrapped behind a wall to get an elevator and there was a hotel employee directing the line. I have never waited in line to get an elevator and I am a born and raised New Yorker. We get to our floor and our room is down this long narrow hallway. We turn a corner, walk another hall and there is the room. We open the door and enter into this small tight space with double beds. The luggage for the four of us
( 2 small kids 2 adults) cover the little floor space. We are stepping over luggage to get to the bathroom. The hotel is full of screaming teenagers from Brazil. I don't care where you are from there is an expectation for behavior and when you have that many teenagers in one place who are loud singing clapping, it's a problem. It's
8:00 in the morning and I am sitting on the balcony with a view of other people on my right, trees and water in front and homes on my left all I hear are the sounds of loud diesel delivery trucks. I might as well be in Manhattan. There was a cricket the size of my hand in the room. How does a cricket that large get into a room on the 15th floor? There are only 2 towels and 2 face cloths in a room with 4 people. Amazing! The saving grace is the employees I encountered so far are nice. As I sit on this balcony still listening to the sounds of diesel trucks I am preparing myself to navigate hoards of people and planning my day so that I only have to wait in a line for elevators twice. Once to get out for the day and once to return to my room for the night. I will not stay here again as it is too large, too many people, too many touring teenage groups and small tight rooms. By the way, tried the pool but guess what? Overrun by tour groups. This place is not for me and my family. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank tee67
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is first rate. The staff there is wonderful. Every time we go we have a great experience. Can't wait to go back again. The only thing I would love for them to change is to offer the government rate during the year and not just July and August.

Room Tip: Having a room with a balcony facing the ocean up on a high floor is great.
1  Thank Mindy N
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Sometimes, things just go wrong, and it seems this was the time. We stay at this hotel annually for the family get together using 4 ocean view rooms. Always happy with most things (see my last review of this location). But this time things went bad.
I called the day before requesting an early check in and was gave some locations preferred. When we got there, no rooms were available. Period. We had to wait until 5PM to get "what was available". My room, was very beat-up as far as the furniture was concerned and the Bath shower walls were visually dirty. Housekeeping came in and wiped down the walls and then, I discovered long hair on the ceiling! They then cleaned that up. Wait....More... There was a fire on the floor that houses offices and we were woken up 2 times in the middle of the night to evacuate our rooms. Credit should be given that their fire alarm system works. But not the elevators. They were being replaced so only 3 elevators were working for the 15 floors. You can imagine the wait!
Wait...Even More....BEWARE... The hotels has very large South American groups of teenage girls every July and the hotel becomes a large party playground for them. You know when you were a kid and thought how much fun it was to press ALL OF THE FLOOR buttons in the elevators? Well they knew the trick. There were other things involving them, so I recommend you do NOT book in July. The great staff and the incredible concierge staff Russell and Mark were fantastic as usual. The Assistant Front Desk hotel manager, Jeffrey Tenner, was so accommodating to resolve all of our problems and should be promoted to hotel manager. He was generous in time and making us happy upon check out. He was very generous and because of him and the other members of the staff we will probably return again. Such a nice place ....REALLY.

Room Tip: Stay away from ice machines and elevators . Keep at least 8 rooms away from elevators. Try to get a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank eccentricbob
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The staff at the pool at Harbor side Marriott made our stay so delightful.
Jason,Marie,Pat,Tina, Dannielle, Lesley , Monica and Davidson are absolutely FABULOUS! You will love the pool, the cabana's and the beach! Great place and greater people taking care of you!!!
5 star service all the way!!!
Richard and Ande at the front desk are absolutely accomodating. and Frankie will give something refreshing to lift your spirits... And Tiffany at the front desk was absolutely delightful and helpful!
Concierge, Mark, made some incredible dining recommendations...
Do not hesitate to come here.......