“Great Hotel, Superb Service”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed here over July 4 weekend. The hotel is great with large pool and huge beach (it's one of the very few in FTL on the beach side of AIA). But what puts it over the top is the service. Despite the capacity crowds, the service was impeccable. Staff were incredibly friendly and attentive finding pool chairs and taking food/drink orders. We never had to search, someone was always right there! Also plenty of fresh towels constantly on hand. And when it rained suddenly, staff were INSTANTLY at all the entrances handing out warm towels to everyone running inside, mopping up floors and handing out lists of area rainy day activities. My wife and I have stayed at many Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons properties that didn't demonstrate this level of service. Plus, plenty of complimentary chocolate chip cookies and lemonade every afternoon by the pool. Kudos to the Marriott Harbor Beach! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank IanVilla
There are newer reviews for Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a SPECTACULAR trip to the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort and Spa from 6/30 to 7/4. While there, we stayed in an Ocean Front Suite on the 12th floor. Room 1217 to be exact. What a view!! The balcony that went from bedroom to living room provided the ability to watch all the action on the beach such as ships and sun seekers with just enough distance from the beach granting us a lot of privacy. We were glued here when in the room making time spent in the room well worth it. Many hotels I've stayed will provide you ocean front but you feel as though below you are 'looking' at you. This hotel offered a bit more privacy. The room was very clean with housekeeping eager to assist and please. When it come to the room, awesome!

We really have to personally thank Catalina Cely for having our room ready as expected before our arrival. She made me feel special as a Platinum Member and really provided a WOW factor when we got to the room. We initially booked the room through Expedia where Marriott placed the wrong description for the type of room booked. (Make sure you follow up like I did to make sure you get what you paid for.) The hotel agreed that they made a mistake when placing the misleading room type text on Expedia (Expedia is not responsible for room descriptions. Marriott is.). And once they did so promptly, Catalina did a SPECTACULAR job rectifying the situation. In the end, we not only got what we paid for but as a Platinum Member receiving an upgrade to suite since one was available when we arrived. Great job Cat for fixing the problem, following up and just before our arrival for reaching out to me for confirmation. Not everyone shows that type of specialized attention and is organized enough to do so. You made our 8th Wedding Anniversary special. Thanks!

One note, no biggie, but they did know it was our Anniversary and no one wished us Happy Anniversary, I felt like I wasn't so special anymore, but the room made up for it. Call us picky, but it means a lot to us to be recognized and thanked for choosing a property for our Anniversary. We should be thanked for choosing them over the many other Marriott's.

As a Platinum Member, they granted us access to the Spa for free after 5 PM. We didn't personally get a massage or use any of the paid services, we never do, we did, however, use the Eucalyptus Steam Room, Dry Sauna, Cucumber saturated wet cloths, private no kids hot tub and pool, showers daily with yummy smelling soap, shampoo and conditioner. When leaving the steam room I enjoyed placing cucumbers over my eyes and listen to the soothing music as a gentle breeze cooled me off in a serene peaceful quiet and relaxing environment with soothing music in the background. This really helped me relax and recharge. When I got up from a chair, the attendant was there to immediately replace the towel on the chair with a fresh one for the next. Kudos to the Spa staff for their attentiveness and keeping it clean and peaceful. I would highly recommend the Spa to anyone for any and all of the above.

Each day we really enjoyed Happy Hour at 3030 Ocean or the Beach Bar. If you can hold out, I highly recommend you wait until 4:30 where you can get a $5 well drink or $3 beer versus the very nigh priced drinks by the pool or on the ocean. To give you an idea, one day we had Pina Colada, 2 Kettle/Clubs and Chicken Quesadeas with tip for $80. It is what it is, but just be warned that poolside prices are pricey. Room has refrigerator. Time to make your best homemade drink punch and bring to pool maybe in your favorite drink cup? :)

When we travel, we always go off peak as much as possible. When leaving on 7/4, we saw when hotel was at full capacity, that it was tough getting a chair at pool. Plenty of room on the beach, but to get front row on beach or a chair at pool, set your alarm for 7 AM to get down to pool and put your towels out or get beachfront. call ahead to pay for reserved cabanas and more are also available. The cabanas had TVs and more in it and were very private but for the two of us were not interested. By staying Sunday to Thursday, we had no problem getting poolside or front row on beach. Weekends and Hoildays, not so easy... To be expected though I guess.

The beach itself was beautiful! We walked North on the beach parallel to A1A Beach Front Avenue to eat breakfast each day. This first place on the corner had a great breakfast each day with 2 eggs, bagel, bacon, ham or sausage, coffee all for under $25 daily finc tip for the 2 of us. Be careful many if not all the places there add in the tip so don't overtip.

At nighttime, we personally did not like the crowd where we had breakfast, but I would highly recommend a cab ride to Las Olas for Mangos and/or Rocco's Tacos. Rocco's Tacos was really cool. Great atmosphere, good food, younger/mixed crowd,but hey makes me feel young. Place had a real hip feeling to it. Very popular it appeared. Further down Las Olas was a few nightclubs that looked like fun. DIdn't go in. We walked to Las Olas from hotel which was about an hour or longer, so we were tired at that point. Cab it. :)

This hotel was in a great location close enough to convenience and with a private beach closer to inlet, it's a gem.

In addition to surfing where I actually caught a few good waves from a board I rented, I would recommend a walk to the inlet where you can you see an occasional cruise ship and tanker go to and/or from sea. I walked all the way out to the end of the inlet during low time. Sat for 1/2 hour or so and left so relaxed. This was another hidden gem. We've spent a lot of time in Manasquan, NJ and this reminded us of the inlet where we spent a lot of time when we first met. :)

Overall, this hotel is running smoothly on all cylinders and should be considered a go to hotel. I would recommend to anyone. Only my wife and I went this time, so for a couples get away with Spa usage I recommend. If you have kids, they have TONS of stuff for them too. I might consider bringing the kids, but we would most likely would return only the two of us.

I hope this helps you!

Room Tip: 1217 was great room. Wind Drift Suite I think was the room type?
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brian S
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort on our way to another location. Very well run property, all of the staff were quite friendly, especially Chef Richard in the Sea Level Restaurant. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Beaches are wide and clean, water was beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just returned from a weekend at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. The hotel is nicely appointed. The rooms are comfortable, great bedding. The 3030 Ocean Restaurant was amazing! Had an outstanding meal there. The hotel is beachfront, which is nice. The staff was exceptional - friendly and accommodating. My only reason for not giving it a 5 star is that the hotel was hosting an enormous group from another country that weekend. It was extremely crowded. There were many people constantly set up in the lobby with food and tea kettles. The group was very loud, even on the beach. The elevators were consistently packed and did not have air conditioning. I would check ahead of time to see if the hotel is hosting an event of this magnitude before staying there again. My husband and I were there for a couples weekend and the kayos was just a little too much.

Room Tip: Only one elevator is air conditioned - keep this in mind when deciding what floor to stay on.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was one of the best places we have ever stayed. The pool was amazing and the staff was wonderful. We ate lunch everyday by the pool and with the kids eating free it was perfect. The beach is amazing with free lounge chairs(you have to pay for the umbrella), but with three young kids we were hardly out of the ocean long enough to sit. I have to say my kids favorite part was the free chocolate chip cookies and lemonade at the pool everyday. They could not wait for that announcement. We still miss cookie time.
I can not give this resort better marks, Everything was perfect for us.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here on a whim with my wife & daughter after arriving to Ft Lauderdale area a day early, and couldn't add a day to our other hotel reservation. We almost changed our reservation to this hotel, but we were there for my daughter to participate in a sand volleyball camp in Pompano Beach for 3 days, and the hotel was too far away to drive every morning. We would have given the place 5 stars, but the double beds were the one down side to our stay (I'm 6' 3"). The property is in a nice place and has a beautiful beach, pool, restaurant/deck overlooking the beach. The rooms were nice & clean, and the hotel is pretty close to the FLL airport.

Room Tip: Had a room with a beach, pool, & intercostal waterway view. It was very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Potenially a great property but the staff and management follow through is terrible so being willing to fight for anything that you believe your are entitiled to whether you are a Marriott Elitie member or a one time guest - force the staff to give you what you expect - they seem to be trained to not meet expectations but to get away with the least that they can do - a great way to be profitable but a terrible way to engage elite members of any type to a property - my final comments buyer beware when you stay here

Room Tip: Demand what you want - you will not be given any credit unless you demand to get it
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business