“Spring Break 2013”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was the best Spring break trip for our family. Our boys, ages 7, 5 and 3 had the best time. The staff was AMAZING and everything you wanted and needed was right at the hotel. The Surf Club for ages 5 and up was amazing and kept our kids occupied when we were not at the pool or beach (free of charge). While we were there, they had the most amazing animal show we have ever seen, a bounce house for older and younger kids, easter games and hunts, tie dye shirts, pie eating contest, etc. Kids younger than 5 can go to the kids club area and play in some of the games and water with an adult. They have tons of beach toys for the kids and beach chairs, etc. The only con was no refrigerator in the hotel rooms! We just got home and my kids are begging to go back there next year!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,128)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I just read the other reviews for this week and I think you will find that like most horrible reviews they are overdone and like most great reviews they are overdone, all based on personal experience. I think you will find this review share a lot of the good and bad points described in those reviews. We arrived on Monday morning March 25th and our room was ready at 10:45 AM to our pleasure. We went up and quickly realized it was not the right room because we were supposed to have a balcony. The bellman very happily wheeled our luggage back down and waited patiently while my wife got the room changed. The front desk was incredibly polite and quickly changed out room and we were in our room by 11. Like one of the other reviews said the rooms were a little smaller than we expected and the balconys were small. Also, the elevators were incredibly slow, some must have been not in service because the running joke with everyone entering the elevators were that they stopped at almost every floor to pick up or drop off. the hotel was filled to capacity but like my wife kept saying anytime we heard anyone complain was what did they expect coming Easter week. One of the great positives was that the hotel is beautiful. The lobby was very nice, the pool area looked fantastic and the beach was picturesque. On the negative side like the other review said people did come down at 7 AM, put towels on the chairs and by 9 AM there were no chairs available. On the positive side, the kids club ( even though our kids didn't really go for it as much as we had hoped ) tried to do interesting activities like pie eating contest, hockey game, candle making, jelly bean bingo, etc. The absolute biggest positive was the customer service. EVERY single employee we dealt with were incredible. The front desk, the bellman, the house keepers, the pool staff were all great. We thought the hardest working and best employees were the orange shirt men working on the beach. They were literally sprinting around getting chairs, umbrellas and anything people asked for. Multiple times we overheard rude people talk to them like they were their servants, it disgusted us considering how hard these guys were working and yet every time they remained incredible polite and professional. On our last night, we realized we had forgotten to pick up our two boys coconut candles from kids club. My wife asked a gentleman who was setting up for the night movie at the pool, and at 7:45, he ran around to find a key to the kids club and get the candles for our boys. The first two nights we had eaten off property but the final two nights we ate at the restaurant sea level and ate on the outside deck from about 6:15-7:30 for happy hour prices. The scenery was incredible looking out at the beach and our boys were able to run down and play on the sand while we waited for our food. The waiters both nights, Ashley the first and James the second were super friendly as was every other member of the hotel staff. So, in general I would agree with parts of all the other reviews from this week. The main negative was that it was very crowded ( the line for starbucks was 20 minutes every morning, the elevators took a very long time and the pool chairs were all taken by 9 ) but what do you expect for Easter week. The positives were that it is a beautiful hotel with some of the best customer service from EVERY employee that I have ever seen.

1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I loved this Marriott. We are Marriott Rewards members so i have stayed in many. I was there for a girl's week to celebrate my 50th bday. The service here was impeccable from check in to check out. Five nights and fives days and there were only two instances where service did not equal the warmth and kindness of the entire staff.
The front desk manager went the extra mile to find an upgrade so i could see the ocean on my 50th bday. Our bags arrived on a later flight and the same manager arranged to have the bellman go to the airport to get our bags because it was 11:00pm. Travel tip: Tip the service people. They do not make a huge salary: a kind word and affirmation of their work goes along way. Also, tip ahead of time ( bellman, housekeeping, valet and i guarantee you will be well cared for! ) Every restaurant was fabulous. We were shocked and loved the quality of the food. Delicious!! Yes, it is pricey. I just don't understand the reviewers who complain abt prices at a resort. You want the convenience of top chef food, the best corn chowder i have ever tasted, on the beach in Florida, in March, without leaving the resort. Pricey is reality. Quit complaining... You are on a lovely vacation. Buy bread and peanut butter or pop tarts for breakfast if you don't want to splurge.
Highly recommend: The Spa... It is worth it to buy a $15 pass for the day or complimentary with a spa service. There is a private serene pool and wonderfully relaxing facilities to relax and enjoy all day. Eat at the fine dining restaurant. The food was delectable. Every bite was amazing. I know good food and it was an experience. Corn chowder-dreamy. Mudslide at the bar- share it with a friend or entertain the patrons:) And a clean, beautiful beach for miles of walking. I will definitely return with my family. Cookies and lemonade are served poolside every afternoon... Fun!
I am a beach aficionado and I approve!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank seeyouatthebeach
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is our 4th year visiting with our boys ages 9 and 7. Each year it gets better and better. The staff is OUTSTANDING......Andre, Tina, Pat, Monica, etc. Rob the pool/beach manager has a wonderful team of people so willing to help and make your stay as pleasurable as possible. We cannot seem to want to go anywhere else. The pool is TOP NOTCH. The beach is steps from the pool. It is as good if not better than any beach out there. The food is plentiful and convenient. If you want a great family friendly, easy vacation at an upscale resort this is it. Great for infants all the way up to teens and adults. I cannot wait to get back next March!!

2  Thank cadejagger
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Resort is top drawer, but my comments are directed at couple of employees, Ahkeem Moore and Edith Sheffield. What seperates the good from the best is the way the employees interact with the guests. It was early in the morning and I had made an unusual request at the front desk. Although the information was not easily available, Edith was determined and kept searching to locate what I needed. While I was waiting, a young man was standing near me at the front desk and I spoke with him. Later, after Edith had provided me with the information I had requested, I had taken a seat in the lobby area to research what I was looking for. Ahkeem came up to me and asked if I had received what I had requested and then asked if he could get me a cup of coffee. It was at that time I observed his badge and realized he was a Marriott employee in security. What a verry nice gesture that made all the difference in our short stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I just left this hotel earlier today but wanted to make sure I wrote my review while I remembered how bad it was. Here are the lowlights:

Didn't get into our room until 6:30 pm on first day.
Room was nothing like pics - small and dated.
Killed a large roach when we woke up after first night.
Left a note for housekeeping to change stained comforter and realized it was just flipped over and not changed. Disgusting!!
Average wait time at Starbucks in the morning - 20+ minutes.
Impossible to get loungers by the pool - people woke up at 7:00 am and put towels on chairs that were left there for hours before anyone showed up to use chairs.
Terrible service by the pool.
Elevators weren't working properly so you had to wait for several to come and go before one with room arrived.

If this all isn't bad enough, the price we paid could have covered a stay at a Waldorf or Four Seasons where we will definitely stay next time - never here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank TreJor
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The front desk staff gladly and generously accepted my daughter and me, using Marriott points, with very little notice (no fault on their part that it was last-minute, all mine). Every single staff member we encountered--housekeeping, server, bellman, stylist, spa attendant, beach attendant, etc was polite, friendly, accommodating. The "Sea-Level" bar is charming and offers great, fresh food and drinks. The salon and spa are awesome. This is a beautiful, well-maintained property where everyone there takes pride in what they're doing. Can't wait to stay here again.