“Straight forward over achieving Marriott resort”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Waldorf, Md
“Straight forward over achieving Marriott resort”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

As stated by many others, this is a high performer for a so called Marriott standard flag. The service level is exceptional across the board. This place is a very good value. A favorite spot for CEO Bill Marriott - certainly a factor as to how this place is run.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (805)
MA
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have zero time to write reviews on this site as a mom to 1.5 and 2.5 yr olds and a wife to a husband who travels for a living… I’m sure anyone in this position would understand. But there comes a time when a hotel completely takes your breath away and it’s not about what time you have because everyone should know about this place. I do like to keep gems to myself; but this is one everyone should know about because this staff deserves it.

I stayed at the Harbor beach March 5-7. From there we left for a cruise. I regret leaving because I never felt as relaxed as I did at the Harbor beach. A hotel that was completely sold out one of the nights and apart from the 1000 luggage pieces in the lobby the next morning, you would have never known it was full. I got an elevator in seconds. I got my room cleaned when asked. I saw the resident manager constantly. I’ve never seen someone so involved with their guests. When he was in our elevator he made sure to ask all guests how their stay was going and if he could help. If he noticed something out of place, he stopped to fix it. His professionalism is contagious because every employee aimed to please. The complete opposite from what I experienced just last March. I almost didn’t give this place another try but I am so glad I did!!!!!!!! It is under new management and this manager is PHENOMENAL.

My room wasn’t ready when I arrived at 9am but immediately the bellman took our bags, we changed our kids and headed over to the pool area. I guess to some people this is an annoyance? Well the hotel is not under staffed; they are everywhere working, cleaning, and trying to deliver the perfect experience. If your room is guaranteed and you need a place to lie down, head to the pool area and kick up your feet and relax.

The pool area is gorgeous. They just recently got all new umbrellas and chairs which provide a great amount of shade. The pool desk has complementary swim diapers in all sizes. They also serve warm chocolate cookies in the afternoon. They are delicious! Don’t miss this!!!! We also had lunch sitting outside overlooking the ocean = Gorgeous views. I loved the chicken quesadillas, grilled chicken sandwich (I added jalapeño), fruit appetizer, Hummus, and the other guests with us enjoyed their lunch as well. The head chef here made a point to greet his guests. What a great guy and even made hats for our girls.

The Surf club is in one word = OUTSTANDING. My kids are too young to be dropped off, but the staff still went above and beyond to show my kids a good time. They couldn’t play inside cause of their age but out front there is a water splash area for kids to run through and beach toys to play with the water. They also brought out crayons and markers for my kids to color, sticker activities such as door hangers, and anything else we asked for. My kids were so entertained on a daily basis and I couldn’t be more grateful. Thank you to the staff that took care of us!!! So appreciated! I did step inside and it is a kid’s dreamland. Areas such as a stage, computers, art section, and so on. I can’t wait for my kids to get older and actually spend more time there.

Riva is completely redone. It is gorgeous, open, and I love the indoor or outdoor seating options. Breakfast here is pricey but the view you have while sitting there and the food and service make it a place worth paying for. The servers were so helpful in attending to my children that my husband and I actually got to eat. Something that is very rare!!! The head chef also made a point to go around to tables and make sure guests were enjoying their experience.

My room: We stayed in the vice presidential suite. You want to talk about jaw dropping views? There are 3 balconies in the living room and the 4th balcony is located in the main bedroom. Each balcony has such stunning views I highly recommend paying and treating yourself to stay here. You can stare off to the ocean, watch the cruise ships going in and out to port, stare down at the pool, watch the sun rise and fall, it’s truly breath taking. You will see everything from this room. It’s the perfect room for a family or a couple looking to treat themselves. It has 1.5 baths (large bath in bedroom area and half bath in main area), a kitchenette sink and microwave, sub zero fridge and freezer, dinner seating for at least 6 in main area, living room had 2 large couches and 2 sitting chairs, 3 stools for a sitting area in kitchenette, a desk for business space. It’s MASSIVE.

Every day we went from a walk down to the main beach strip. I’m not sure why people think this is so far away but for us it was such a beautiful walk. The beach has a swing area, tons of slides for an overall great park. Further down there is basketball courts and even an outdoor workout spot.

This is an outstanding property, located on a beautiful beach. Management is everywhere. Staff is very helpful. When you are in the position to choose to do something with your hard earned cash or even points, don't hesitate to book this resort. They will provide a wonderful experience that you will remember for ages and hook you in to keep returning. A fabulous stay and we look forward to spending many stays here. THANK YOU!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank tara.02
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just returned from my second visit in the last two months at this amazing property and I am so excited about my stay, I decided to write about it even before unpacking. This property is a true gem. What makes this hotel special is the most incredible staff coupled with exquisite grounds. My husband and I love the beach in that if is wide and very clean. I felt that it is prettier than many of the beaches in the Caribbean. The staff at this hotel is second to none. When arriving, several doormen and bellman greeted me immediately and made it their business to know my name and address me by name during my entire stay. The front desk staff were incredible. They were knowledgeable, caring and went out of their way to make us feel as if we were special guests because we were staying at the hotel. They are very pro making guests happy and I always left with a smile when I went to the front desk for anything. The two people I dealt with most was Ms. Eberling and Jack and though all the staff was wonderful, they were especially kind and considerate in every way. The Riva Restaurant for breakfast was a meal experience we both looked forward to each day. Again, the staff coupled with delicious breakfast items made each breakfast experience wonderful. The outdoor seating with the sounds of the ocean made us never to want to get up from the table. The breakfast buffet consisted of delicious fresh fruits, eggs, bread and muffin items, fresh squeezed juices and a variety of delicious menu items on days we did not wish to have the buffet. The service staff was excellent but if you see Teresa or John, seek them out. While the whole staff was wonderful, these two individuals were especially kind, considerate and wanting to make sure our breakfast experience was great. The spa is first rate with wonderful treatments and a pool with wonderful lounge chairs and a heated pool and jacuzzi. We spent time at both the beach and the pool and enjoyed the service of Kyle on the beach who set up chairs and umbrellas. He kept stopping by to make sure we were happy and projected the most sincere feeling to me and my husband of wanting us to relax and enjoy our beach experience. The rooms are quite nice with beautiful amenities and comfortable bedding. The housekeepers I dealt with could not have been nicer. While me and my husband have enjoyed traveling all over the world and experiencing many hotels, we both agree that we have never experienced such wonderful and caring service on a consistent basis as at this hotel.
I cant wait to return!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this beautiful, well kept resort as prenights before our cruise. The hotel itself is beautiful and the location and views are spectacular. The staff at the resort were all very nice and went out of their way to help with anything that was needed. They even sent up a surprise plate of mini cupcakes with a signed birthday card to my room as a birthday gift. We were a bit weary of staying here as we read in other reviews about the distance to restaurants however, we had no issues with walking to places including the water taxi which was a 5 minute walk. The water taxi runs from morning until 10:30 at night & you can get on & off at the various stops whenever you want. I would definitely stay at this resort again as well as recommend to family & friends. The pool & beach were both very clean and well kept. The hotel also served free of charge, various snacks poolside throughout the days (trail mix, lemonade, chocolate chip cookies). They also always have water with fresh fruits in it poolside whenever you want it.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms provide much better ocean view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Boston_MAChrissy
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Marriott Harbor Beach is well located and right on the beach with a very nice Pool, GYM and SPA. It is however a good walk far from the all restaurants and bar. It is approx. 1.5 miles. The is NO concierge lounge at this location which is is extremely surprising from a Marriott. They explained that the reason the did not have a lounge for Elite member was that they have a full service Hotel. I have been to Marriott all over the world and had never came across this in the past.

Room Tip: Ask to a room with a beach view as they may try to give a room with city view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Winthrop, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is one phenomenal resort!!! The Boston snow had gotten to us, and on a whim, we planned a trip to Ft. Lauderdale, choosing this Marriott since I'm a Marriott "frequent flyer." Best choice we could have made. From the time we arrived (checked in by Livenne) - had lunch at Sea Level with the amazing waitstaff person, Courtney - who we requested for our entire stay! If you're allergic to bananas, you'll love Courtney! -- enjoyed our lovely room overlooking the Inter-Coastal, and prepped for Day 2, at the beach, we were totally hooked.
The beach is not only gorgeous, but also a nesting home for loggerhead turtles, which the Resort takes great care to oversee as good stewards. We opted for the chaises over the "Cabin-ette," and were very happy (but so were the folks in the Cabin-ettes).
One of the highlights of our stay was our last day, which was made extra-special by the extra-care we got from Monica C., in the Rec department - we wanted to rent a cabana, and Monica helped us rent an ocean-front Cabana for the day and it was FABULOUS. If you have a late flight (like we did), this is the best way to extend your stay. We also ate at the 3030, and had a divine meal.
One caution: there IS a Starbucks in the lobby, which is great, but if the hotel is also hosting a major meeting, the morning line for coffee and breakfast will be outrageously long. So: we saw one fellow going to his room with a styrofoam cooler. That might be the best way to take care of breakfast (can't remember for sure if the room has a coffee maker, probably does).
If, sadly, you must take care of business while you're at the Resort, you can get one free day of WiFi in the lobby, which is set up with a "computer bar"!
5 miles from the airport, fabulous beach, wonderful staff, gorgeous rooms, terrific pool - what more could you possibly want? (oh yeah, the Boston Bruins were staying in the hotel during our stay; if Stanley Cup winners stay here, why wouldn't you???). Use your AAA membership card and don't forget to pick up sunscreen!

Room Tip: Look on the website, and call to talk with someone at the Resort.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelerfromWinthrop
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Just looking for a little getaway and marriott beach harbor did the trick. Located right on the beach, just a few minutes drive from airport, large relaxing pool, with poolside food and drink service. Have to pay to rent beach cabanas and selected beds at pool. Hotel was pretty nice, in good shape. Get a room in a higher floor, away from restaurants..( found a bug in my first room but they promptly moved me after I complained). They have nice gift shops and a Starbucks (amazing).. Try the spa, not the most opulent but had a great experience. Gym was nice, also offered fitness classes. Staff was accommodating. Ended up an expensive trip after all the extras, but worth it.

• Stayed February 2013