“Oh so friendly!”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We visited this hotel recently for a family gathering, and I would happily recommend it to anyone. The very best thing about it is the staff-everyone from the desk clerks to the housekeepers were eager to please and very efficient in their work. It was a signal pleasure to deal with the entire staff here!

Room:
When I got off the elevator and discovered that our room was next to the ice machine, I was dismayed but decided to check out the sound before asking for a room change. I was pleasantly surprised to hear-absolutely nothing. The room was completely quiet; you'd never know there was machinery right next door. The room itself was spacious and had good closet and drawer space. The rooms have balconies and we kept our door open in the evening to enjoy the breeze. The bathroom was a bit tight but quite acceptable. Toiletries were good quality (I took one of the bottles of ginger orange lotion home with me-it made me smell like a muffin!). Water pressure in the shower was good. Towels were okay. I guess the days of big plush hotel towels are long gone. The bed was very comfortable and I appreciated the foam pillows as opposed to feather ones.

Location:
The hotel is right on the beach. It is about half a mile(?) from the Ft Lauderdale AIA strip, though, and nothing is really within walking distance.

Facilities:
The hotel is in excellent shape. I didn't see any worn carpet or peeling paint or wallpaper anywhere. It is kept very clean and inviting at all times. The decor is expensive-hotel standard, nothing thrilling but quite pleasant.

The pool was warm and pleasant, although I imagine it gets crowded during peak times. There are plenty of chairs around the pool.

We had the use of a couple of cabanas, and that was great. The cabana is about the size of the bathroom in the room, but it has a fridge, a sink with running water, a big screen tv, and a shower, as well as plenty of chairs. Ours was on the beach and no one else was using a cabana nearby, so it felt very private. What the cabana doesn't have is internet connectivity. Other than that, it was delightful.

We used the gym a couple of times and were very happy with it. It's huge and has tons of machines as well as an exercise studio for classes. We had no trouble getting to the machines we wanted to use.

I visited the spa, which was quite an indulgence! I didn't have a massage but I did enjoy a steambath, sauna, and whirlpool, and then a long doze in a comfortable lounge chair. I wish I could do that more often! The spa was immaculately clean and well equipped.

Dining:
We took most of our meals in the Riva restaurant, including both meals we paid for and meals that were part of our family celebration. The food was good and fresh, but I wouldn't call it exciting. Everything was at the correct temperature and attractively plated and presented. (We had some terrific prime rib one night.) Service was excellent, and we are not an easy bunch. :-) Prices were high, as one would expect in a luxury hotel-the least expensive breakfast was, I think, $15. There is a Starbucks on site, though, for a less expensive option. We also had a couple of meals from the poolside restaurant, which were also quite expensive and ok but nothing exciting.

Quibbles:
Parking is $25 a day and there is nowhere else nearby to park. Internet is free in the lobby and $13 a day elsewhere. I am really, really over charges for internet. This should be standard in luxury hotels as it is in lower-priced chains. There is a business center, but there are no free computers. You can, however, print your boarding pass free on a designated computer.

This is not in any way the hotel's fault, but I was angered and saddened by the amount of trash I found on the beach. There were plenty of trash cans on the hotel's beach, so that wasn't the problem. How hard is it to pick up after yourselves, people?

I would be pleased to visit the Harbor Beach again. It was a weekend of pure pleasure!

Room Tip: The rooms next to the ice machines are not a problem!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a 5 day conference. No question it was a beautiful hotel with wonderful hospitality!!!!

We got a package rate for the hotel, which made the room acceptably priced, but the cost for everything else was very high. Pizza was $20, breakfast buffet came to $30 per person including tax and tip, water bottle in the rooms were $6; self parking was $25 per day; internet - had it not been covered - was $12.95 per day.

It was quite a hike to the nearest convenience store to help us just keep the costs down, so come prepared!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SarahBG
HarborBeachMarriott, Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thanks for your posting - glad that you enjoyed your stay. On your next visit be sure to take advantage of our Happy Hours for better pricing options.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our check-in was friendly, quick and efficient and we were upgraded to an oceanview due to our Platinum status. The room had a great view, was clean, but a standard hotel room. The advertisement of the resort is misleading, 'secluded on 16 waterfront acres". The outside pictures taken of the hotel showed a resort by itself when, in fact, there were condos on both sides and behind the hotel. The beach was steps from the hotel but the sand was very soft and difficult to walk on and stopped us from our usual daily walks. Swimming was also difficult because the sand was so soft you immediately sunk down inches as soon as you walked into the water and it felt like it was sucking you in! The water was shallow enough for people to wade in a good distance but few people were in the water. We had the buffet for breakfast and lunch at Sea Level. Both restaurants were good but expensive. We did not eat at 3030. The pool area has plenty of chairs but we found upkeep lacking compared to other Marriott resorts, particularly Marriott's Marco Island resort which is pristine. There are no lifeguards on duty and little supervision of the area besides the wait staff. It is a 15 minute walk to Las Olas Blvd where there are several bars and restaurants. If you want to go the the part of Las Olas across the bridge with upscale shopping and dining you have to take a taxi, trolley or bus. The Galleria Mall is also a quick bus ride. There is a bus stop less than 5 minutes from the hotel that picks up at 10 and 40 after each hour. The trolley only runs Friday-Monday so we took the bus or taxi. Hard to get anywhere by taxi for less than $20. We did not rent a car because the airport is 15 minutes away and a $20 cab ride. Disappointed that there was no airport shuttle service or a concierge lounge typical of most Marriott hotels. We enjoyed our stay and found the service good but would not rank this as a top Marriott resort.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms gave a great view of the ocean as well as many cruise ships and cargo ships.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, glad that you enjoyed your stay in your oceanfront room.. I would be happy to speak further with you regarding your additional comments, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I attended a national conference here, and the hotel did a really great job of hosting all of us. My room was clean and modern. The hotel has several places to eat. (I ate just about every meal on site. Watch out for the $4 iced tea, though.) This resort is located right on the beach, but I didn't make it down there because it rained during my entire visit. It's a pricey place, but if that's what you're looking for, this resort will suit your needs.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Butler C
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed there for 5 nights, 9/29 thru 10/4. Our room was upgraded to a partial ocean view for a little extra and it was well worth it. All of the staff are very friendly and always greet you when passing by. The pool is large and has lots of lounge chairs. Complimentary cookies and lemonade around 2 pm near the towel cabana. The only negatives were the high price of parking ($25 for self parking and $30 for valet parking). Breakfast was also expensive, $25 for the breakfast buffet. The food was great, just expensive.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor for a view of the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYSTravellers
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Very nice beach side resort hotel (no walking across the street to the beach). The lobby is wonderful and has wifi and tables to work with your laptop. The pool area is awesome! Plenty of rows of lounge chairs around the pool. Great place to relax and talk during the evening. The kids will love the movies shown pool-side on the weekends. They can swim and watch Nemo, etc. The pool area also has a full service restaurant and an outdoor bar area where you can also get food.

Between the lobby and the beach, there's another lounge area as well. Great for watching the waves and the cruise ships.

I would definitely go back. The ony negatives are the price of food (it's a resort what do you expect), and the location. For beach activities, it's a great location! But if you want to take in the main drag in Fort Lauderdale, including the restaurants that are across the street from the beach, you've have to get a rental car or take a cab. A lot of hotels are located right on the main drag in Ft Lauderdale (see my review of the Ritz), but this is not one of them. It's off the main drag, but the restaurants (beside those in the hotel) are a ways up the road.

Room Tip: Get a pool view room. You can see the ocean, the great pool, and the cruise ships sailing out
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kwtech
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Everything was overpriced and service was mediocre for the cost. The Hertz car rental kiosk didn't work (leaving us without the car we needed to get to a business meeting) and the Kinko's office center (which the hotel provides in lieu of an actual self-run business center) was dysfunctional and it cost me $8 to print two sheets of paper I needed for a presentation I was giving at this hotel. While these are both outside vendors, the hotel didn't have much interest that neither vendor on their property was functioning. You need a cab to get just about anywhere off the property grounds, so you are somewhat hostage. The hotel does not run a shuttle from the airport, which is only a few miles away, so you spend another $24 each way on that. Rooms are OK but nothing special and worth all this. The restaurant was pretty good and has decent reviews, but again, quite expensive. If you are looking to have some R and R in the area, you can get a much better placed hotel in South Beach (Miami) for about the same cost and much less hassle.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business